Factory fender flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dave22

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Just in case anyone is interested in installing factory fender flares on a 2019-2022 2500 or 3500 Tradesman or Bighorn like I was I wanted to share what I did which
worked very well. These years 2019-2022 use a series of clips about 1 1/2" long with a male arrow shaped point on them which attaches to factory punched holes in
the front fenders and the rear qt. panels on Laramie's and upper trim levels. I certainly wasn't going to drill holes in my truck, the front flares have 12 clips each and
the rear have 15 plus they have a few alignment pins molded into the back of the flare which need to be cut off. The factory screws that hold the inner fenderwells in
place have to be removed then reinstalled with the flare which has the screw holes in them already and aligns and indexes the flare perfectly. The screws hold the flare
securely and tight against the body but to keep the edge of the flare from rubbing against the paint and for some extra holding power I removed the clips that come on
the flare, cut off the point and reinstalled them backwards. The long backside of the clip is smooth and thicker than the front side so it provided the perfect surface to
apply the thickest 3M automotive double sided tape I could get #06397 which secured the flare to the truck but left a slight clearance so the edge of the flare does not
rub into the paint. If you look at it the flare looks tight to the body but you can slip a piece of paper between the flare and truck. Yes water will get in there but it will
drain out the bottom of the flare. When I removed the factory black plastic spats it was wet behind them also after i had washed the truck. The flare kit comes from
All Mopar Parts I believe in NY. These are all factory pieces and come with new correct black plastic spats and extra screws. The part # is D2DJOEFLARES. They are
smooth black plastic and need to be painted to match truck, I took them to a really good bodyshop and they painted them for me, I drove the truck there and they
mixed up the paint and did a spray out card and put it up to the truck to see if it needed to be tinted. They matched the color perfectly. Also 3M recommends their
adhesion promoter #06396 which is to be used between the double sided tape and any plastic (the clip) DO NOT GET IT ON THE PAINT it will damage it. wipe it on the
clip surface let dry then apply tape. I put the tape on the clips and left the red backing strip long so i could pull it off after the flare was in place, just get all the screws
started and make sure the flare is in the proper position then pull off the red backing strips and tighten all screws and install new spats. I basically wanted the look of
a Laramie (changed the grille as well) but in a regular cab 8 ft. bed which you have to get a tradesman or Bighorn. My truck is a Bighorn in Timberline Green (low volume
color) I know it sounds like a lot of work but it wasn't bad at all and I think well worth it. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_5512.jpg
    IMG_5512.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_5514.jpg
    IMG_5514.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_5515.jpg
    IMG_5515.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_5540.jpg
    IMG_5540.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 113

Ram75

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Tradesman
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Came out very nice. I’ve been wanting to do the same thing to my 2019 Tradesman but I agree with you I didn’t want to drill any holes either. Thanks for the post, very helpful.

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm thinking this may be the route I go. My 22 Big Horn needs about 1 to 1.5" more lip. That would cut down on what the tires keep throwing up on my DRW truck.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Thank you for this write up! If I can't afford the Laramie Package there are a few things I would like to get & put on the Big Horn. It drives me nuts some of the things that doesn't come with the BH package! Like wheel well liners, these flares, fog lights, bed lights. Hell, the bed lights don't come factory with the Laramie either if I remember right. Anyway enough of my rant... if I get the BH I would like to get these flares & have them painted silver like the two tone paint you can get with the Laramie. Obviously I would have to paint the lower portion of the doors as well but I don't think it would be too much more since they are already painting the flares. This would also prevent a mis match as well. Although this guy I go to does VERY good work matching paint. I never realized how much of a pain that can be. You can't just get the paint code & start shooting. He showed me there are batches upon batches of slightly different shades for each color. Not to mention slight fading over the years. He even matches the amount of egg shell tecture that came from the factory. I don't like that when you purchase the two tone paint on the Laramie they paint the bumpers too. What happened to leaving them chrome?
BTW your truck looks incredible! I like that paint way more than expected.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wow, turned out great! And kudos to the body shop, they matched the paint perfectly!

tnpete

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Man I like that color more each time I see it.

KKBB

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just in case anyone is interested in installing factory fender flares on a 2019-2022 2500 or 3500 Tradesman or Bighorn like I was I wanted to share what I did which
worked very well. These years 2019-2022 use a series of clips about 1 1/2" long with a male arrow shaped point on them which attaches to factory punched holes in
the front fenders and the rear qt. panels on Laramie's and upper trim levels. I certainly wasn't going to drill holes in my truck, the front flares have 12 clips each and
the rear have 15 plus they have a few alignment pins molded into the back of the flare which need to be cut off. The factory screws that hold the inner fenderwells in
place have to be removed then reinstalled with the flare which has the screw holes in them already and aligns and indexes the flare perfectly. The screws hold the flare
securely and tight against the body but to keep the edge of the flare from rubbing against the paint and for some extra holding power I removed the clips that come on
the flare, cut off the point and reinstalled them backwards. The long backside of the clip is smooth and thicker than the front side so it provided the perfect surface to
apply the thickest 3M automotive double sided tape I could get #06397 which secured the flare to the truck but left a slight clearance so the edge of the flare does not
rub into the paint. If you look at it the flare looks tight to the body but you can slip a piece of paper between the flare and truck. Yes water will get in there but it will
drain out the bottom of the flare. When I removed the factory black plastic spats it was wet behind them also after i had washed the truck. The flare kit comes from
All Mopar Parts I believe in NY. These are all factory pieces and come with new correct black plastic spats and extra screws. The part # is D2DJOEFLARES. They are
smooth black plastic and need to be painted to match truck, I took them to a really good bodyshop and they painted them for me, I drove the truck there and they
mixed up the paint and did a spray out card and put it up to the truck to see if it needed to be tinted. They matched the color perfectly. Also 3M recommends their
adhesion promoter #06396 which is to be used between the double sided tape and any plastic (the clip) DO NOT GET IT ON THE PAINT it will damage it. wipe it on the
clip surface let dry then apply tape. I put the tape on the clips and left the red backing strip long so i could pull it off after the flare was in place, just get all the screws
started and make sure the flare is in the proper position then pull off the red backing strips and tighten all screws and install new spats. I basically wanted the look of
a Laramie (changed the grille as well) but in a regular cab 8 ft. bed which you have to get a tradesman or Bighorn. My truck is a Bighorn in Timberline Green (low volume
color) I know it sounds like a lot of work but it wasn't bad at all and I think well worth it. Thanks
Looks great!! Good job!!

tadam1977

Reaction score
Ram Year
1998, 2008, 2016, 2024
Engine
5.9 Cummins, 2 x 5.7 Hemi's, 6.7 Cummins
Excellent write up! It was exactly what I've been searching for, love the detail and part numbers! Finally found a used set and they're headed in for paint. Thanks again.