Factory jack enhancements?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

They call me DLD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In some ways I am really prepared: 24 inch breaker bar, a half dozen sockets of different sizes in a rubbermaid container, one foot square of plywood, 4x4 chunk of wood, tow strap, expensive flashlight, big shot filled mallet and large flat blade screwdriver.
Where I need to step up my game: Have never lowered the spare tire down or even looked to see how this would be done. This might be rusted and corroded making the task impossible since my 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 has 170,000 miles. I should do this some day in the driveway when it is not raining just to be familiar with the procedure. Probably should come up with a hydraulic jack.

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
I have AAA road assistance BUT I carry a Daytona three ton low profile jack in case they are backed up as I don't like to wait too long , I have used it more to help other motorist on the side of the road than I have for myself lol .

senator49

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I keep a floor jack and four way in my WeatherGuard truck box. It is a whole lot easier to use, plus I had a flat on my utility trailer which made that tire change easy too.

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You can get the battery ones in little kits some assembly required, but small enough to fit in the glove box. Keep the batteries wrapped and out until needed so they stay good and don't corrode the internals.

Back in the last century in the Army we had some lights whose batteries were water-activated, can't remember the name for it tho, or where to even look those up... I only recall them used in drop zone/pathfinder type operations, when sending up the weather balloon; water is always a precious resource in a job where you have only what you carry in on your back, so we didn't waste canteen water on the battery, we just pissed on it. Didn't have girls in the combat arms back then so just casually peeing whenever/wherever wasn't a big deal. (I wonder how the DZSOs/DZSTLs do it nowadays with girls around?) I guess it would look hilarious peeing on the side of the interstate getting some batteries to energize, though you'd probably get state trooper help faster that way!

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
... have had the 12v cigar plug to fail on several vehicles.

This.

My ex-truck ('05) and my wife's current Jeep ('16) eventually had every cigarette lighter-type power hole die out. Probably melted. Once I did find a blown fuse but replacing it never fixed the dead power hole; started to replace the onhe in the '05 but never got around to is befroe seeling it; haven't gotten poiking around the jeep yet, so dunno if its fix-able. do know that you cannot rely on power holes when you need em. Is why my new '20 has 110v regular wall style outlets.

....wait, will those blow out too with use???!!! dammit!!
(we'll see...)

Kukailimoku

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
In some ways I am really prepared: 24 inch breaker bar, a half dozen sockets of different sizes in a rubbermaid container, one foot square of plywood, 4x4 chunk of wood, tow strap, expensive flashlight, big shot filled mallet and large flat blade screwdriver.
Where I need to step up my game: Have never lowered the spare tire down or even looked to see how this would be done. This might be rusted and corroded making the task impossible since my 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 has 170,000 miles. I should do this some day in the driveway when it is not raining just to be familiar with the procedure. Probably should come up with a hydraulic jack.

A method I found works to keep the spare tire lowering mechanisms in great shape is to get about ten flats over 14 years and a quarter-million miles.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I keep a small floor jack under the back seat along with 1 breaker bar and socket for the lugs, and a 20" 1/2" extension paired with a 1/2" square socket so I can use a ratchet to lower the spare. Used them twice in 2020.

TOTALCHAOS69

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
image.jpg “Rapid” should have never been printed on the box!!! However slow it is... it will eventually hit 65psi in a 33”/12.50”... $45-50 and don’t have to sweat if the power hole is hot or cord will reach.

mtwofeathers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel 5.9
******** DO NOT JACK FROM LOWER CONTROL ARM **********
On the new models the lower control arm is cast aluminum jacking from it can cause damage. Damage that may know show up until you hit a pot hole or similar at speed and the arm cracks and breaks.

Hearing that I hope aftermarket will show up with some steel lowers. Places i go are pretty rough, I can see it now breaking at the wrong time.

Warmachine1320

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 8spd
On the new models the lower control arm is cast aluminum jacking from it can cause damage. Damage that may know show up until you hit a pot hole or similar at speed and the arm cracks and breaks.

ram specifically tells you to jack from the rear of the lower control arm in its literature

Rzrbrn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Diesel
My 2019 Ram 2500 Owner's manual says to place the jack under the axles on page 323.

Adam E

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
View attachment 234695 “Rapid” should have never been printed on the box!!! However slow it is... it will eventually hit 65psi in a 33”/12.50”... $45-50 and don’t have to sweat if the power hole is hot or cord will reach.

I have the Ryobi version of those of these.
I think I paid $20 for it around the holidays no battery no charger.
Uses Ryobi 18V batteries which I already have plenty.
It is not fast though a lot faster than I was expecting and is also handy for airing up my air bags.

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
Hope you aren't attempting a sidewall tire repair. Not safe!!!