Factory oil filters & wheel well liners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuschLatte420

chill water by day, drink beer by night
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 classic tradesmen crew cab 6’4 box
Engine
5.7L NON E-TORQUE 3.92 gears 4x4
Hello my fellow ram owners. For you who have done the first oil change, or know the location I heard the factory filters say factory installed on them, is this located on the bottom of the filter or else where. Trying to see if the dealer actually changed my filter or not since I brought it in at 1000 miles for break in change.

Also, anyone know why they skipped putting some clips or bolts in the wheel well liners? Looked at another classic and was the same way for figure it’s normal? Thanks yall as always!

Attachments

• 7694579F-1F7A-4EB3-8322-7B5692366ABC.jpeg
    7694579F-1F7A-4EB3-8322-7B5692366ABC.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 3C9836DA-958C-4F58-AA4A-DA502043876A.jpeg
    3C9836DA-958C-4F58-AA4A-DA502043876A.jpeg
    181.6 KB · Views: 35
  • 85FFB433-AC02-46EF-ACDA-52C32868F2C2.jpeg
    85FFB433-AC02-46EF-ACDA-52C32868F2C2.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 60C3133F-EFC7-491B-93B9-CB45ABA82F09.jpeg
    60C3133F-EFC7-491B-93B9-CB45ABA82F09.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 34

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My daughter's 2022 Wrangler uses the same small filter that the 5.7 Hemi uses. It was clearly marked "factory installed".

Attachments

• IMG_0010.jpg
    IMG_0010.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My daughter's 2022 Wrangler uses the same small filter that the 5.7 Hemi uses. It was clearly marked "factory installed".
Thank you looks like I should be in the clear, what threw me off was the rust proofing I had done before winter had some residue on it ‘after’ the change, but I guess with car washes and heat and stuff it can melt down a bit and get over it. I will leave it at that.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
They probably left a couple bots out to improve fuel economy :D
I had my truck's rear fender liners out last fall. I did notice like one or maybe two bolt/screws were missing. I thought it was due to being in a shop ..before my time. I can tell you this: those finder liners won't simply fall out, lol. They take some real effort to get into place (with tire off).

That remides me: If you plan to keep the truck for a while, and being in the rust belt, there are two things you could do (and probably *should* do) this summer or pretty soon:

1) Have your truck undercoated and rust-proofed. Rocks, stones and sand accumulate over the rear wheel wells, and at the rear of the quarter panel (lower rear box side). And they DO rust! Since your truck is new, the sooner you get at it, the better. Also the front lower of the box holds crud, the rockers and door bottoms. Front corners of the hood.

2) Fabricate a panel to block rocks & debris from getting into your truck's rear wheel wells. A lot of small stones, sand and debris can accumulate over the rear wheel wells. They hold moisture, collect dirt and so on. The gap between the inner wheel housing and the outer box skin is only ~ 1/8". All those get thrown up through a gap in front (and above) the rear finder liners. Chrysler could have helped all of us out by putting a thin plastic barrier to keep debris from getting thrown up there (of course they don't want these truck to last FOREVER. But, because your truck is pretty new, if you have the time/energy, fab up a panel out of metal or plastic would stop that.

I took a few handfulls of debris out of each side of my wheel wells. And those stones work themselves in tight. It's a lot of work (and a special tool) to pry them out.

Happy trucking! :favorites13:

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Small sample of a few handfulls of debris lodged between the inner and outer box wheel opening. Just from highway driving (after ~173k miles). One of my summer projects is to fab up a panel to block stones from getting bounced and thrown up over my trucks rear wheel wells.

20221005_131713_exported_41248.jpg

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
They probably left a couple bots out to improve fuel economy :D
I had my truck's rear fender liners out last fall. I did notice like one or maybe two bolt/screws were missing. I thought it was due to being in a shop ..before my time. I can tell you this: those finder liners won't simply fall out, lol. They take some real effort to get into place (with tire off).

That remides me: If you plan to keep the truck for a while, and being in the rust belt, there are two things you could do (and probably *should* do) this summer or pretty soon:

1) Have your truck undercoated and rust-proofed. Rocks, stones and sand accumulate over the rear wheel wells, and at the rear of the quarter panel (lower rear box side). And they DO rust! Since your truck is new, the sooner you get at it, the better. Also the front lower of the box holds crud, the rockers and door bottoms. Front corners of the hood.

2) Fabricate a panel to block rocks & debris from getting into your truck's rear wheel wells. A lot of small stones, sand and debris can accumulate over the rear wheel wells. They hold moisture, collect dirt and so on. The gap between the inner wheel housing and the outer box skin is only ~ 1/8". All those get thrown up through a gap in front (and above) the rear finder liners. Chrysler could have helped all of us out by putting a thin plastic barrier to keep debris from getting thrown up there (of course they don't want these truck to last FOREVER. But, because your truck is pretty new, if you have the time/energy, fab up a panel out of metal or plastic would stop that.

I took a few handfulls of debris out of each side of my wheel wells. And those stones work themselves in tight. It's a lot of work (and a special tool) to pry them out.

Happy trucking! :favorites13:
Rust proofing was the first thing I got gone before it had 100 miles on it and before the first snow and salt came down. A nice thick slimy oil base, and even after numerous car washes with the under spray that stuff is still fully present. Also I have a older Tahoe I currently use for the winter beater to save the ram for a little bit! These do indeed like to rust easy.

OP
OP
BuschLatte420

BuschLatte420

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The missing screws in all 4 of your wheel wells are only there to make adding Fender Flares much easier.

When you buy the fender flares, they are pre drilled & they come with the missing screws
Exactly what I wanted to hear, I never was a fan of the way fender flares looked though, and In my area it’s another thing to just trap salt. But when she gets rusty that’s a easy cover up! Hope it doesn’t though!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
On my last Ram, i went to a NAPA auto parts store & bought a package or two of different Chrysler fasteners, they come in zip lock type bags.

Some times they are a one of those racks that you can spin around, other stores have them in small bins

The packages read FORD , GM , Chrysler , etc.