Factory puck - B&W OEM gooseball sleeve noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

b1lanc

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7HO Cummins
Pulling a 15K 5th wheel and about 2200 miles into trip, started to get a clanking sound (loud) when starting or stopping. At 3100 miles now and it is getting worse. B&W OEM ball and Reese Gen 2 Goosebox. Nothing loose on the goosebox, but the gooseball sleeve seems to have some play in it when inserted into the factory receiver. I wasn't expecting the sleeve to be tight in the receiver but I also wasn't expecting fitment feel sloppy either. I've greased with red lithium - helped for awhile, but not long. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
John

Ramagain

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you able to verify the ball is locked?
My lock mechanism fell apart on my B&W ball, although it was still locked in.

Timsdually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
???
Fifth wheel ball slop?
What did you do convert your fifth wheel hitch to gooseneck?
I have heard of quite a few people who did that conversion and weren't happy with it and also believe I read somewhere that Lippert would not warranty anybody that did the conversion.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
???
Fifth wheel ball slop?
What did you do convert your fifth wheel hitch to gooseneck?
I have heard of quite a few people who did that conversion and weren't happy with it and also believe I read somewhere that Lippert would not warranty anybody that did the conversion.
Most people get the Reese Goose box. Lippert makes their own version and neither one would void warranty. You can read it for yourself on Lippert's website.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check the B&W where it is bolted to the frame. If the bolts weren't torqued properly, then that is where the noise is likely coming from.