Factory Rear fender flares

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
FCA has agreed to replace these after a 3000 km trip. Looks like they were hit by a sand blaster.

IMG_1881.jpgIMG_1882.jpg

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Dang I wonder why it did that

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Could be, but the paint on the metal around it looks fine

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
I would invest in some mudflaps, do you drive through a lot of sand/pebbles? The clear coat was either non-existent or light.

hotrod45

Military
Reaction score
Airborne grit flies past the body, but hits anything that sticks out. That's why the flares got blasted. Mud flaps would help and probably help a lot, but maybe not stop it altogether. I remember seeing a patch of the clear vinyl protector on the lead edge of the painted wrap-around rear bumpers on previous trucks I've had. That flying grit is exactly why it was there.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have factory Mopar mud flaps on the truck. No paint off anywhere else, only the rear flares. I had factory Flares on my 2017 and 2015 but both those trucks had wheel to wheel running boards. No issues.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
I had these repaired June 2019, here's how they look after one winter

View attachment 201847 View attachment 201848
Somewhere in this forum, someone had had their flares coated with bed liner. It was a grey truck and used black liner to set them off. It looked great but you could have yours color matched. My truck doesn’t have the flares but I believe I would have them coated if I did. This is a really good and practical idea.

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Somewhere in this forum, someone had had their flares coated with bed liner. It was a grey truck and used black liner to set them off. It looked great but you could have yours color matched. My truck doesn’t have the flares but I believe I would have them coated if I did. This is a really good and practical idea.

Yes it is a good idea, apparently the factory is putting the clear film on before shippment now. I still have to verify. I'll take my truck back to the dealer because it's still under warranty. It will be a different dealer this time around. As you can see the last repair didn't last due to the repair. Bad job

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Yes it is a good idea, apparently the factory is putting the clear film on before shippment now. I still have to verify. I'll take my truck back to the dealer because it's still under warranty. It will be a different dealer this time around. As you can see the last repair didn't last due to the repair. Bad job

found the pic.
upload_2020-4-10_11-48-32.jpeg

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Clear vinyl wrap will eliminate the chips from the tire road debris and not look like you couldn’t afford to paint match your flares like every 3rd Gen out there covering rust holes.

especially if you don’t want to invest in proper splash guards the 3rd time this happens...

OP
OP
TerraNewf

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clear vinyl wrap will eliminate the chips from the tire road debris and not look like you couldn’t afford to paint match your flares like every 3rd Gen out there covering rust holes.

especially if you don’t want to invest in proper splash guards the 3rd time this happens...

I agree about the vinyl, but it has to be installed correctly. Unfortunately mine was installed incorrectly.

Last edited:

KQQLCAT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have this problem also and I installed mud guards they don't help with this. Nice to know that the dealer will take care of under waranty. I put the 3M product all over the front of the truck but never thought about this area. My other rams didn't have this problem.

ISellRams22

TxnRamTrvlr
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The 3m “clear bra” material applied to the flares helps big time and you can’t really see it:) when you get your clear bra done which everyone here with a 5th gen should do have them throw it on both flares and the bottom under the doors!