Factory Threaded Insert Rusted and Bolt Broke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 2017 Ram.
Was trying to add running boards, but the factory threaded inserts are rusty.

After about 45 minutes I was able to clean out one of the inserts and screw a bolt in. When I was cleaning another threaded insert, a bolt head broke off and the rest of the bolt is stuck in the other insert...well sheeeit.

Any suggestions of what can be done now?
I am considering just having a local truck accessory place now install the running boards since the other threaded inserts will also be rusty.

20210110_143621.jpg

NJMOPAR

Older and faster
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Looks like there's enough left to grab with vise grips.
Use PB Blaster to soak it, go slowly back 'n' forth then back it out.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
If you manage to get it out,go buy yourself the proper size tap for the hole and run it through the threads to clean them out.A bolt is a very poor thing to use for cleaning up rusted threads. I'd lay odds the threads are *****'d in that hole now,so you'll have to run a tap through it to clean the threads up to where a bolt will go in again with-out cross threading

OP
OP
Firefight1981

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I agree a bolt is not the best to use when cleaning out rusty threads. I was trying to make due with what I had access to at the time. And I was getting a little impatient.

Today I bought the PB Blaster and 8mm thread tap. Will attempt some time this week and will post results.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
If you're not familiar with taps it's best to run it in for a few turns then back it out a half turn to free the rust that accumulates in the tap then forward a few then back a half turn. If you just run it straight through you can break the tap. Ask me how I know:rolleyes:.

Also use plenty of your favorite lube and I'm not talking Astroglide....:D

OP
OP
Firefight1981

Firefight1981

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I tried the PB Blaster and vise grips the other day, but to no avail.
Local truck shops will charge about about $400 to install the running boards with this bolt issue I created.
Will try again this weekend and if that doesn't work, I will just drill out that bolt and use the supplied hardware for trucks that don't have threaded inserts for that one spot.
Still need to tap the 7 other threaded inserts.

magician

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Let that blaster sit for a night or two and then maybe add some heat to that area and try again. Also use a file to add some square corners to what’s left hanging out and try grabbing and turning.

You could also take it to the dealer and see if the guy who does the exhaust manifold bolts can get it, still cheaper than $400
Good luck