Factory ZF 8 speed transmission fill procedure after doing a tranny service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
So far this is all i've been able to get for info on the oil,lol.

Ryan Handsaeme
Jacob Doolittle
it's an oil that has ceramic coating qualities to it. Has an additive package that travels to high heat areas in your motor to prevent hot spots excessive wear and gulling. The film strength it has is unbeatable so far by any other brand... It was originally designed for us military for there vehicles, that in case of a catastrophic failure they would still be able to get to safety.. so generally when your engine has had the proper heat cycles you can run it dry for a certain length of time. (Never recommended but it capable)... It's a hard sell.. the oil is amazing but the company is horrible at media... There site sucks doesn't give enough information on it at all... If you want to know everything about it and are serious I can put you in touch with a guy that knows all the science any everything behind it.. it's an insane oil.. too good to be true really but it's legit

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
@Wild one thanks for trying to get info. I'll mention the military doesn't always have the best of everything or keep up. I remember their Navy Hydraulic Oil was Mil Spec 17111F, which is basically naptha with VI Improver. It "met spec" sure - but broke down rapidly.

They were way behind in state of the art synthetic oil - even as they developed synthetic wheel bearing grease for the fly boys. I'm sure some guys will try the new magic mouse milk oil, but as you say, serious enthusiasts need more info or data. It takes a long time before we in the general public can get data on our own, except for members that work or race vehicles for a job.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Back to gear oil, I am wondering, between AMSOIL and Red Line Oil, who makes the better gear oil? Any long-term Red Line users here? The problem with AMSOIL reviews is that there is an incentive to skew them because of how they sell their oil via dealers.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Back to gear oil, I am wondering, between AMSOIL and Red Line Oil, who makes the better gear oil? Any long-term Red Line users here? The problem with AMSOIL reviews is that there is an incentive to skew them because of how they sell their oil via dealers.
What about royal purple max gear? Is it as bad as i hear alot of people say it is? (I have not even considered using it, just curious)

Rod Knock

Reaction score
What about royal purple max gear? Is it as bad as i hear alot of people say it is? (I have not even considered using it, just curious)

RP gear oil worse than Mobil 1 gear oil, and Mobil 1 is pretty stinking low. Just ask some of the Corvette guys, lol. XOM did this so it won't compete with their Delvac 1 gear oils. Now those really good.

Off-roaders have many "special" choice words for Royal Purple gear. I wouldn't use it to lube my trailer, let alone my truck, lol.

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
RP gear oil worse than Mobil 1 gear oil, and Mobil 1 is pretty stinking low. Just ask some of the Corvette guys, lol. XOM did this so it won't compete with their Delvac 1 gear oils. Now those really good.

Off-roaders have many "special" choice words for Royal Purple gear. I wouldn't use it to lube my trailer, let alone my truck, lol.
Makes sense. My brother got a cj7 last spring and diffs were filled with royal purple. He grenaded the rear end in june lol

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

RP is a cus word in many of 4w4 forums, you couldn't even mention them in an old 4x4 I am on without being persona non grada. It is simple, they changed HP for protection, but in a 4x4 forum that lack of protection shows up in the worse ways. You can get away with a ton in motors, thus their engine oil is decent, plus they do add some type of ester, so more of a soothing effect, but that stuff just don't play well with mudders that have used it in diffs.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Reminder: Amsoil offers no gear oil w/o limited slip friction modifier additive.

Redline, Mobil Delvac 1, Mopar all do. For those with the HD AAM Torsen anti spin rear axle.

Rod Knock

Reaction score

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI

Rod Knock

Reaction score
It does have friction modifier. The recommendation is to add more if the quantity added is insufficient to prevent clutch chatter.

The Long Life line doesn't, it's their heavy-duty product. They ripped off Castrol's brand because they're not using it in the US. They are more than likely reselling a generic Lubrizol HD gear lube at a nice profit margin. Personally, I trust Delvac more than Amsoil.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4

I've ran Amsoil SVG 75w-90 in my 350z rear end for over 50k miles now with no issues. I also run their GL-4 MTX 75w-90 in the transmission and it shifts great. I also ran it in my wife's WRX's front diff/transmission and rear diff for about 35k miles now. I believe I ran Amsoil in the rear of my truck when I changed over and Redline in the front diff (just so I didnt have to add FM), which has about 20k miles on it since the change. I used to get a wholesale discount through a distributor that didnt require a membership but last time I went to order from them that discount has disappeared. I will probably look into the some of the castrol and delvac fluids you mentioned in this thread simply due to lower cost for my next changes, but if you can get Amsoil at a discount I wouldn't hesitate to run it.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I've ran Amsoil SVG 75w-90 in my 350z rear end for over 50k miles now with no issues. I also run their GL-4 MTX 75w-90 in the transmission and it shifts great. I also ran it in my wife's WRX's front diff/transmission and rear diff for about 35k miles now. I believe I ran Amsoil in the rear of my truck when I changed over and Redline in the front diff (just so I didnt have to add FM), which has about 20k miles on it since the change. I used to get a wholesale discount through a distributor that didnt require a membership but last time I went to order from them that discount has disappeared. I will probably look into the some of the castrol and delvac fluids you mentioned in this thread simply due to lower cost for my next changes, but if you can get Amsoil at a discount I wouldn't hesitate to run it.
Yeah i met a distributor that was willing to sell me amsoil at wholesale cost without a membership. That was when i thought nothing topped amsoil. Not sure why i didnt do it

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
The Long Life line doesn't, it's their heavy-duty product. They ripped off Castrol's brand because they're not using it in the US. They are more than likely reselling a generic Lubrizol HD gear lube at a nice profit margin. Personally, I trust Delvac more than Amsoil.

I'm going off of memory (on a call right now), the verbiage on the spec sheets is identical. So, what evidence is there published by Amsoil that SVG has LS additive and LL does not?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I'm going off of memory (on a call right now), the verbiage on the spec sheets is identical. So, what evidence is there published by Amsoil that SVG has LS additive and LL does not?

The "Long Life" line meant for the trucking industry, just like Delvac 1. Of course, someone in the marketing department was super lazy and just copied and pasted the info. It's the same kind of crap that they do when they cross-reference fluids. I will email them about it, however, I doubt that they're open to any kind of discussion. As you previously stated, it's like talking to a brick wall.

Amsoil is a small company with little over 300 employees. I doubt they formulate all of their oils themselves. I honestly think that they stick to the core stuff like their Signature Series ATF and motor oil and that they buy the rest. Otherwise it would be overwhelming for them. What do you think?

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The "Long Life" line meant for the trucking industry, just like Delvac 1. Of course, someone in the marketing department was super lazy and just copied and pasted the info. It's the same kind of crap that they do when they cross-reference fluids. I will email them about it, however, I doubt that they're open to any kind of discussion. As you previously stated, it's like talking to a brick wall.

Amsoil is a small company with little over 300 employees. I doubt they formulate all of their oils themselves. I honestly think that they stick to the core stuff like their Signature Series ATF and motor oil and that they buy the rest. Otherwise it would be overwhelming for them. What do you think?
Considering the amount of product variation they have from gun lubes to brake clean to atf etc etc theres no way they formulate everything themselves. I mean why would they spend time with amsoil oe when they push signature series so hard?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Considering the amount of product variation they have from gun lubes to brake clean to atf etc etc theres no way they formulate everything themselves. I mean why would they spend time with amsoil oe when they push signature series so hard?

You're absolutely right. I wonder how much time they spent (and spend) testing their Severe Gear lube. Their SS motor oil is their biggest cash cow, that's the one they push the hardest. If you look at various UOAs, you'll notice that their entire SS line has the same additive package, which is a bit weird.

Their Multi-Vehicle ATF is another big seller, probably the ATL more so than the ATF these days. That's because most people don't want to pay for overpriced OEM transmission fluids. Realistically, at least in the US, for most, it's either Valvoline Max Life or AMSOIL SS MV ATL. I know that others also make Multi Vehicle ATF, however, they are not as good as these two. If Valvoline moved to a PAO base instead of Group III, they would kill AMSOIL's SS MV ATL product line for sure.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You're absolutely right. I wonder how much time they spent (and spend) testing their Severe Gear lube. Their SS motor oil is their biggest cash cow, that's the one they push the hardest. If you look at various UOAs, you'll notice that their entire SS line has the same additive package, which is a bit weird.

Their Multi-Vehicle ATF is another big seller, probably the ATL more so than the ATF these days. That's because most people don't want to pay for overpriced OEM transmission fluids. Realistically, at least in the US, for most, it's either Valvoline Max Life or AMSOIL SS MV ATL. I know that others also make Multi Vehicle ATF, however, they are not as good as these two. If Valvoline moved to a PAO base instead of Group III, they would kill AMSOIL's SS MV ATL product line for sure.
I never realized that till you just said that. All their add packs are the same regardless of viscosity. The more i read about amsoil the less i like them

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I did the driveline fluid change this past weekend. I decided to use the Amsoil I already had.

truck.jpeg

Some things you should know:

1) Front diff torque specs for drain and fill plugs: 22 ft-lb. Once tight, go to 22.5 and then 23 ft-lb and check again, make sure they don't move. That's it. I filled it with Amsoil SVG 75W-90. Don't put thread sealant on the front diff plugs!

2) Mobilfluid LT came out of my transfer case. It was Amber in color and the transfer case was underfilled. I flushed it with Mobil 1 Syn ATF (had two quarts on hand). Then I filled it with Amsoil SS MV ATF. I added 4 oz of Lubegard Platinum ATF Protectant. It's not a recommendation, just a personal choice. I put white Permatex High Temp sealant on the drain and fill plug and slowly (in increments of 10 in-lb starting at 120 in-lb) torqued each to 180 in-lb.

tcase.jpeg

3) Rear diff drain plug is not a joy to lose. I used a 1/2 inch breaker bar and carefully loosened it, then used a ratchet. Applied white Permatex and torqued it t 52 ft-lb. If your torque wrench clicks at 50, leave it alone, you're done. Use a new rubber plug (Dorman 65293) and make sure there is no oil on the surface before you put the plug in. Use some brake cleaner on a rag and carefully wipe the unpainted surface (you'll see). If you don't do this, it will leak. I filled it with Amsoil SVG 75W-140 and I also added 4 oz of Amsoil Slip Lock. I have no chatter whatsoever. I didn't want to fuss around and experiment with a friction modifier.

reardiff.jpeg

4) I put 7.5 qt Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 + 24 oz Lubegard Bio-Tech + PBL24651. Again, this is not a recommendation, it's just what I used.

0w40.jpeg

Last night I removed the headlights to install LEDs. It turns out you can't remove the radiator grill without breaking some of the clips. New clips were $35 online. In the high beams, there isn't enough room for LEDs, so I ended up using Sylvania Gold 9005 bulbs. They're okay, not great. Since I'm in there, I will remove 4 of the grille shutters. Then later this week I'll do a radiator flush and replace the T-Stat with a 180F. I'm getting close to the end of maintenance with this thing. It was fun but time-consuming.

Last edited: