Factory ZF 8 speed transmission fill procedure after doing a tranny service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I have warmed up to gasket maker, I like that stuff. But to do it right does take time, I had a time with a friends water pump by thinking we could rush it. When we left it dry overnight water pump was solid. I'd use loctitie on the bolts as well, and since you know they are backing off, check them every once in a while.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I'd look the cheap pan over really close,and check the gasket out.Your local dealer should have a gasket in stock if you need one.Tranny gaskets aren't where you want to cheap out on.

In hindsight I should have reused the factory pan gasket but I have a bad habit of throwing things away and then need them later.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
If you're pulling the pan might want to check to see if Lubelocker makes a gasket for the ZF pan

No Lubelocker for the ZF that I can find.

I'll throw a little locktite on them when I reinstall. You would think other people would be having issues with pan bolts backing off as well but maybe its just my luck. I dont think I've ever pulled a pan and had it seal the first try.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
No Lubelocker for the ZF that I can find.

I'll throw a little locktite on them when I reinstall. You would think other people would be having issues with pan bolts backing off as well but maybe its just my luck. I dont think I've ever pulled a pan and had it seal the first try.

Somethings up with the way you're doing things or the cheap parts you're using. Aluminium transmission case /steel bolts ,don't need thread locker.Steel bolts into aluminium don't generally require thread locker,throw the cheap parts away you're using and get the proper pan and gasket,last thing you want is your cheap **** costing you a tranny. Transmission pans and gaskets are not where you want to save money

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Somethings up with the way you're doing things or the cheap parts you're using. Aluminium transmission case /steel bolts ,don't need thread locker.Steel bolts into aluminium don't generally require thread locker,throw the cheap parts away you're using and get the proper pan and gasket,last thing you want is your cheap **** costing you a tranny. Transmission pans and gaskets are not where you want to save money

I ordered a factory gasket today. I still have the bolts from the OEM pan, so maybe I will pull all the new bolts and reuse the old ones. Could be something slightly off about them. I did notice the OEM bolts have what look like some sealer/loctite but is likely just corrosion from the steel on aluminum contact. The pan was identical to the factory one down to the magnets and filter openings. If the OEM gasket and bolts dont fix it I guess I have no choice but to buy another pan. Plenty of people have used aftermarket pans with no issue though so I'll start with hardware.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
When I did mine, I tightened the pan bolts in 2 steps.

IIRC, the torque is something like 88 in-lbs, so I did something like 50 in-lbs. the first time then did the 88 in-lbs. the second time.

Following the tightening sequence pattern, too.

Hope you get it sorted out.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I ordered a factory gasket today. I still have the bolts from the OEM pan, so maybe I will pull all the new bolts and reuse the old ones. Could be something slightly off about them. I did notice the OEM bolts have what look like some sealer/loctite but is likely just corrosion from the steel on aluminum contact. The pan was identical to the factory one down to the magnets and filter openings. If the OEM gasket and bolts dont fix it I guess I have no choice but to buy another pan. Plenty of people have used aftermarket pans with no issue though so I'll start with hardware.

Well the OEM gasket appears to have done the trick. I also used all the factory bolts instead of the aftermarket ones that came with the pan, made sure to clean the gasket and mating surface really well before I installed, and followed the torque sequence a bit better. I recall reading somewhere about the V6 pan being the same at the V8 pan which makes some of the aftermarket pans cheaper. I think I finally found a difference when I installed the OEM gasket. There is a nub for gasket alignment and it did not line up with the hole that was in my pan. Everything else still lined up perfectly so I just cut off the nub and installed.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
austmurr