Factory ZF 8 speed transmission fill procedure after doing a tranny service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I still think people who chose this loaded formula is doing all they can for their cam, cost benefit over lubegard/orc oil, dunno.

Update us on how those work in the application, especially the trans, I'm not sure we have a ton of reports on that.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Nope, I don't have a HEMI tick. My HEMI sounds buttery smooth on the current oil + Lubegard combo, like a German Zinger sewing machine.
What is your current oil? For some reason i thought i remembered seeing you were using m1 0w40. I might be mis remembering though

Rod Knock

Reaction score
What is your current oil? For some reason i thought i remembered seeing you were using m1 0w40. I might be mis remembering though

It's still Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 with Lubegard and it runs just fine. Since I'm changing the oil once or twice a year, I think I could save in other places to pay for the Lubegard.

By the way, do you guys know where I can get an oil filler cap that says 5W-30? It would be awesome if I could customize one that said RedLine Oil on it, lol.

@Burla - the strength of RedLine Oil is not the Moly. Sure, it helps, but it's the POE in the base oil that basically bleaches the engine on the inside. Lubegard has cleaning properties, but it also sticks to metal parts. Not forever, but at least for a while.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
It's still Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 with Lubegard and it runs just fine. Since I'm changing the oil once or twice a year, I think I could save in other places to pay for the Lubegard.

By the way, do you guys know where I can get an oil filler cap that says 5W-30? It would be awesome if I could customize one that said RedLine Oil on it, lol.

@Burla - the strength of RedLine Oil is not the Moly. Sure, it helps, but it's the POE in the base oil that basically bleaches the engine on the inside. Lubegard has cleaning properties, but it also sticks to metal parts. Not forever, but at least for a while.

Check an earlier HD 5.7 for the oil cap,they used to call for 5W-30 in the early Heavy Duty trucks with the 5.7.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

Im debating running mobil 1 fs 0w40. I have no tick at all and i just started running schaeffers 5w20 9000 but i put alot of miles on per year and i thought about saving some money and going m1 fs for a stout oil thats cheap with an incredible pour point

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Check an earlier HD 5.7 for the oil cap,they used to call for 5W-30 in the early Heavy Duty trucks with the 5.7.

I think that those looked like a cork screw almost, lol. Mine is shorter and just jas like 3 or 4 threads.

I do have a 0W-40 oil cap, hehe, from an SRT Jeep.

@Burla, @Hemi395 @Wild one - After many emails with Mr. David Granquest, they finally updated the Borg Warner transfer case recommendations. It's MT-LV 70/75W. The MTL 75W80 and D4 can also be used.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I think that those looked like a cork screw almost, lol. Mine is shorter and just jas like 3 or 4 threads.

I do have a 0W-40 oil cap, hehe, from an SRT Jeep.

@Burla, @Hemi395 @Wild one - After many emails with Mr. David Granquest, they finally updated the Borg Warner transfer case recommendations. It's MT-LV 70/75W. The MTL 75W80 and D4 can also be used.

wow good news, but some of them take c+ I believe. If the spec calls for atf4, I believe it is c+.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
wow good news, but some of them take c+ I believe. If the spec calls for atf4, I believe it is c+.

There is one more wrinkle I need to iron out in the recommendation on the Redline website, and that would be the BW44-44 and BW44-45 pre-2016 transfer cases that came with Shell Spirax S2 A389 from the factory, those should use Redline D4 ATF.

C+ works, but it's got too much friction modifier for BW44-44 transfer cases. I take back my old recommendation when I said it's a good idea to add Lubegard Platinum ATF to Dex III(H) or Delvac 1 ATF. Apparently, it's not a good idea to increase the amount of friction modifiers. I found that out after a lot of reading and researching. In 2016 Borg Warner updated the clutch packs in the BW44-44 to high-energy materials, so they need a firm engagement for maximum durability. I guess they had to compensate somehow for the "wonderful" programming that FCA did in the RAM 1500 trucks for these transfer cases.

Check this out:

redline.png

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
There is one more wrinkle I need to iron out in the recommendation on the Redline website, and that would be the BW44-44 and BW44-45 pre-2016 transfer cases that came with Shell Spirax S2 A389 from the factory, those should use Redline D4 ATF.

C+ works, but it's got too much friction modifier for BW44-44 transfer cases. I take back my old recommendation when I said it's a good idea to add Lubegard Platinum ATF to Dex III(H) or Delvac 1 ATF. Apparently, it's not a good idea to increase the amount of friction modifiers. I found that out after a lot of reading and researching. In 2016 Borg Warner updated the clutch packs in the BW44-44 to high-energy materials, so they need a firm engagement for maximum durability. I guess they had to compensate somehow for the "wonderful" programming that FCA did in the RAM 1500 trucks for these transfer cases.

Check this out:

View attachment 239594

great great info as usual, thanks

is that a new product?

Rod Knock

Reaction score
@Burla the viscosity is between ATF and LV ATF smack in the middle. It slots in nicely between D4 and D6 ATF.

I ordered 2 quarts of ATF D4 and 2 quarts if MT-LV. My truck was built in October 2015 as a 2016 model. When I do the transfer case fluid change if RED fluid comes out of it then I will fill it up with D4 ATF, and if it's Amber then I will use MT-LV.

Check out the video below. This guy did his first service on his 2016 and Amber fluid came out, which was Mobilfluid LT. He refiled it with AMSOIL MV SS ATF. Amsoil mistakenly makes a blanket recommendation for all Borg-Warner transfer cases on RAM trucks, yet for something like a KIA Borrego they don't have a recommendation, which also used Borg-Warner transfer cases when it was still manufactured.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
@Burla the viscosity is between ATF and LV ATF smack in the middle. It slots in nicely between D4 and D6 ATF.

I ordered 2 quarts of ATF D4 and 2 quarts if MT-LV. My truck was built in October 2015 as a 2016 model. When I do the transfer case fluid change if RED fluid comes out of it then I will fill it up with D4 ATF, and if it's Amber then I will use MT-LV.

Check out the video below. This guy did his first service on his 2016 and Amber fluid came out, which was Mobilfluid LT. He refiled it with AMSOIL MV SS ATF. Amsoil mistakenly makes a blanket recommendation for all Borg-Warner transfer cases on RAM trucks, yet for something like a KIA Borrego they don't have a recommendation, which also used Borg-Warner transfer cases when it was still manufactured.

doesn't that look like old zf8 lifegard to you? Looks green to me. oh man can of worm opening time.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
doesn't that look like old zf8 lifegard to you? Looks green to me. oh man can of worm opening time.

It's thicker than Lifeguard 8. Mobilfluid LT is Amber in color. It's basically low viscosity tractor fluid and the only reason why it's used in a BW44-44 is because it has the same frictional properties as Type F transmission fluid.

RAM uses only two fluids for their transfer cases, and for 2021 and onward I believe they will stick to Mobilfluid LT for everything. The ATF they use is Shell Spirax S2 A389. By the way, Redline D4 is superior to Delvac 1 ATF.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

I'm a little suspicious of that being the first change,as the drain plugs seem mighty clean in comparision to the rest of the T-case,things don't look quite right to me ,lol.There's no scratch marks in the dirt showing where he might of scrubbed the plugs clean,and when he pulls the upper fill plug there's no build up around the threads,and no drain plug stays that clean and shiny ,just my 02,lol

Rod Knock

Reaction score
I'm a little suspicious of that being the first change,as the drain plugs seem mighty clean in comparision to the rest of the T-case,things don't look quite right to me ,lol.There's no scratch marks in the dirt showing where he might of scrubbed the plugs clean,and when he pulls the upper fill plug there's no build up around the threads,and no drain plug stays that clean and shiny ,just my 02,lol

You're absolutely right. That's why I ordered both Redline D4 ATF, which crosses over to Shell Spirax S2 A389 (Mopar fluid #1 - pre-2016 BW44-44) and Redline MT-LV which crosses over to Mobilfluid LT (Mopar fluid #2 - 2016+ BW44-44). My transfer case fluid has never been changed, so I'll decide what to use based on what comes out. It's the only way to be sure since it's a 2016 model built in October 2015. FCA has never been very consistent about components and fluids. It's all I can do.

Last edited:

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

Check this out:

View attachment 239594

Wow, more great info!

So my 2013 BW 44-44 had red fluid from the factory so I'm assuming thats the Shell Spirax? And thats what the Mopar 44-44 fluid is too right?

Also Amsoil MVATF did really well in my 44-44 but is that because its one of the pre 2016s?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just an FYI - someone on the FB group posted a few days ago asking what fluid they are supposed to use for the 44-45 (confirmed the truck does not have Auto mode).

Because they read their manual and guess what? it only gives one single fluid part number now. It specifically says "44-44" transfer case, but they dont have that....so my guess is FCA messed around with part numbers and "recommendations" so they can force people to buy the uber-expensive stuff regardless of transfer case model.

My brain then says if A=B and B=C, then A=C. So if I can use unicorn blood in the 44-45, I should be able to use 44-45 stuff in the 44-44.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Just an FYI - someone on the FB group posted a few days ago asking what fluid they are supposed to use for the 44-45 (confirmed the truck does not have Auto mode).

Because they read their manual and guess what? it only gives one single fluid part number now. It specifically says "44-44" transfer case, but they dont have that....so my guess is FCA messed around with part numbers and "recommendations" so they can force people to buy the uber-expensive stuff regardless of transfer case model.

My brain then says if A=B and B=C, then A=C. So if I can use unicorn blood in the 44-45, I should be able to use 44-45 stuff in the 44-44.

You made me go look at my 700 page manual for my 2014,and i'll be damned they don't list anything in it for the 44-45 either,just says use the reconmended 44-44 fluid in all transfer cases

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You made me go look at my 700 page manual for my 2014,and i'll be damned they don't list anything in it for the 44-45 either,just says use the reconmended 44-44 fluid in all transfer cases

lol better you than me :)

Honestly I never noticed it in mine....I figured they changed it along the way but it looks like its always been that way?

Im not in a rush to change my xfer case fluid just yet....differentials Ill do because they are pretty cut and dry. Transfer case (and transmission) Ill let play out in the forums for a little while to see what sticks.