Factory ZF 8 speed transmission fill procedure after doing a tranny service

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yea i was a little off on the spelling.Did find it though and started a thread on it.

TriboDyn-Nordic.com - TriboDyn 5W-30 Fully Synthetic Engine oil (0.496 L) (tribodyn-nordic.com)

"surface-active wear resistive additives are absorbed in the pores of the metal creating a wear resistant surface on top of the metal. This genius coating technology helps to flatten surface roughness peaks and makes components’ tribological properties better by lowering friction and temperatures."

Ummm......ZDDP, MoDTC, anyone?

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
"surface-active wear resistive additives are absorbed in the pores of the metal creating a wear resistant surface on top of the metal. This genius coating technology helps to flatten surface roughness peaks and makes components’ tribological properties better by lowering friction and temperatures."

Ummm......ZDDP, MoDTC, anyone?

I started a thread on it here,as this ones starting to get a bit long winded and guys might miss seeing the Oil.

Anybody familiar with this oil | DODGE RAM FORUM - Dodge Truck Forums

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Schaeffers 9000 5w20. Working fine but at 9 bucks a quart i wouldnt mind running a 22 dollar 5 quart jug oil instead. No tick at all i just drive alot to justify 9 bucks a quart

That's really good oil. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is even better. Adding Lubegard to Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is like pouring a canister of gasoline on a ****** tanker :D

Here is the skinny Trinuclear Moly: it's most effective at 80ppm. Between 80ppm and 200ppm it shows a minute improvement in cam wear. Beyond 200ppm it doesn't do anything. I will post the research paper as soon as I find it again. As far as I know only Shell, ExxonMobil and BP have access to it via Infineum. Looking at Amsoil recent VOA/UOA, they use 200ppm in all their SS formulations. Since Amsoil has a good relationship with ExxonMobil, it wouldn't surprise me if Infineum is selling it to them. The big boys make the rules. Any other boutique oil, including Lubegard Bio-Tech has one of the other Moly variations. That's not to say other Moly formulations are bad, just that none of the other ones are trinuclear.

@Burla @Hemi395 @Wild one do you guys know if this PPE rear diff cover is any good? I'm tempted of ordering one and installing it this weekend. Thanks in advance for any insight and advice. If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. Also, there is no Banks rear diff cover available for the 1500. This one is the closest think to a "common sense" - type aluminum cover that I've found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ram-15...762382&hash=item41f1ae932f:g:5B8AAOSwq9Rb0Z9j

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Interesting oil thanks. Never heard of it

For $99.98 + tax, you get 24 quarts of M1 FS 0W-40 at Wallyworld. That's enough for 3 oil changes with about 1.5 quarts left over, that's if you use the big filter like me. Can't beat $33/oil change for motor oil that in Europe is rated for 20,000 Km / 2 years in Porsche Turbocharged engines. Not even Red Line Oil can go for that long due to oxidation issues. Using a big oil filter is very important. Royal Purple 20-820 is also a very good oil filter.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That's really good oil. Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is even better. Adding Lubegard to Mobil 1 FS 0W-40 is like pouring a canister of gasoline on a ****** tanker :D

Here is the skinny Trinuclear Moly: it's most effective at 80ppm. Between 80ppm and 200ppm it shows a minute improvement in cam wear. Beyond 200ppm it doesn't do anything. I will post the research paper as soon as I find it again. As far as I know only Shell, ExxonMobil and BP have access to it via Infineum. Looking at Amsoil recent VOA/UOA, they use 200ppm in all their SS formulations. Since Amsoil has a good relationship with ExxonMobil, it wouldn't surprise me if Infineum is selling it to them. The big boys make the rules. Any other boutique oil, including Lubegard Bio-Tech has one of the other Moly variations. That's not to say other Moly formulations are bad, just that none of the other ones are trinuclear.

@Burla @Hemi395 @Wild one do you guys know if this PPE rear diff cover is any good? I'm tempted of ordering one and installing it this weekend. Thanks in advance for any insight and advice. If anyone else wants to chime in, please do. Also, there is no Banks rear diff cover available for the 1500. This one is the closest think to a "common sense" - type aluminum cover that I've found.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ram-1500-2011-2014-PPE-238050000-Heavy-Duty-Rear-Differential-Cover/283227624239?fits=Model:Ram+1500&epid=19006762382&hash=item41f1ae932f:g:5B8AAOSwq9Rb0Z9j
Im starting to think that m1 fs 0w40 may be the best oil for these engines if you have no tick. -76 pour point. 100 ppm of trinuclear moly. 1000 ppm of zinc and i believe about a 12 tbn starting. Pao/gtl base oil to. I like schaeffers 5w20 for 300 ppm moly. Same type as redline i believe and mostly pao base. Msds says 60-70 percent pao.

Rod Knock

Reaction score
Im starting to think that m1 fs 0w40 may be the best oil for these engines if you have no tick. -76 pour point. 100 ppm of trinuclear moly. 1000 ppm of zinc and i believe about a 12 tbn starting. Pao/gtl base oil to. I like schaeffers 5w20 for 300 ppm moly. Same type as redline i believe and mostly pao base. Msds says 60-70 percent pao.

The Moly in Schaeffer's is not Trimmer.

Also, heavy duty oils with a HTHS greater than 3.5 don't really need any Moly. That's why you don't see it in Heavy Duty motor oils. It's there to compensate for the anemic film strength of ILSAC oils.

Okay, to be perfectly fair, something like a Detroit D60 has ceramic rollers that will never harm the cam, lol.

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-Ram-1500-2011-2014-PPE-238050000-Heavy-Duty-Rear-Differential-Cover/283227624239?fits=Model:Ram+1500&epid=19006762382&hash=item41f1ae932f:g:5B8AAOSwq9Rb0Z9j

have you seen the banks diff videos?

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi

I've never seen that rear diff cover until now but it looks pretty good. I like how it's curved around the ring gear to help promote oil flow up and around to the pinion gear/bearing like the Banks one.

Last edited:

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The Moly in Schaeffer's is not Trimmer.

Also, heavy duty oils with a HTHS greater than 3.5 don't really need any Moly. That's why you don't see it in Heavy Duty motor oils. It's there to compensate for the anemic film strength of ILSAC oils.

Okay, to be perfectly fair, something like a Detroit D60 has ceramic rollers that will never harm the cam, lol.
Yes its dimmer moly which is the same moly as redline and lubegard biotech and pyb as well. Ive heard amsoil is dimmer moly but i would think it would be trimmer moly but im not sure

i believe schaeffers is the only HDEO that has moly

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

Are you towing heavy for long distances? The hottest i've ever measured my diff cover at has been 160F and that's after 155miles at an average speed of 85+ mph with nothing but good old cheap 85W-140 Dino oil (true trac equipped). I'm a fan of PPE's tranny pans,not sure where i stand on this cover though. This is definitely a new entry by them into the light duty truck diff cover market,but whether it's justifiable at that price point i'd say no.The ZF diff if maintained properly with the occassional fluid change is virtually bullet proof.It looks like PPE has been following Gale Banks video's though as they've incorporated a few things Gale figures the factory has done right,like using fluid to control heat and lube the areas where lube is required.It's your money and honestly it's not going to hurt anything,but for almost 300 bucks,it's tough to justify when the factory cover already does a pretty decent job.If you spring for it,try to get the truck out for a decently high speed run for a 100 miles and measure the cover temp ,then try to duplicate the same test again with the new cover,and let us know the temp differances between the 2 covers.
I wonder how much clearance there is between the cover and the track/panhard bar though,it looks like they could be a bit tight on clearance

Rod Knock

Reaction score
have you seen the banks diff videos?

Yes Sir I did! I watched the series he did on diff covers, and he did a great job compiling data. He's also a great salesman and managed to incorporate his own product into the presentation. I think more products should be presented like the Banks Diff Cover, backed by real data and evidence.

Yes its dimmer moly which is the same moly as redline and lubegard biotech and pyb as well. Ive heard amsoil is dimmer moly but i would think it would be trimmer moly but im not sure

i believe schaeffers is the only HDEO that has moly

Amsoil might be the only exception, since they talk about Trimmer Moly on their own blog. Well, Amsoil has industrial railways going through their factory and they had a very long and fruitful relationship with ExxonMobil, Lubrizol, and probably Shell. They're an oil blender that serve a niche market and probably a microscopic fraction of farmers and truckers and the US and Canada. They're not really competition for the big guys, but more like customers, lol. So I don't see a problem for Amsoil getting their hands on the best additives to put into their products.

Are you towing heavy for long distances? The hottest i've ever measured my diff cover at has been 160F and that's after 155miles at an average speed of 85+ mph with nothing but good old cheap 85W-140 Dino oil (true trac equipped). I'm a fan of PPE's tranny pans,not sure where i stand on this cover though. This is definitely a new entry by them into the light duty truck diff cover market,but whether it's justifiable at that price point i'd say no.The ZF diff if maintained properly with the occassional fluid change is virtually bullet proof.It looks like PPE has been following Gale Banks video's though as they've incorporated a few things Gale figures the factory has done right,like using fluid to control heat and lube the areas where lube is required.It's your money and honestly it's not going to hurt anything,but for almost 300 bucks,it's tough to justify when the factory cover already does a pretty decent job.If you spring for it,try to get the truck out for a decently high speed run for a 100 miles and measure the cover temp ,then try to duplicate the same test again with the new cover,and let us know the temp differances between the 2 covers.
I wonder how much clearance there is between the cover and the track/panhard bar though,it looks like they could be a bit tight on clearance

Thank you so much for your advice. You're absolutely right. I don't tow much. The last time I towed anything heavy was a 1200 LBS truck transmission in a 900 LBS trailer when I took it 100 miles down the road to have it rebuilt, and the next day back to put it back in my dad's truck along with a new clutch, hehe. I'll save my money and get the transmission pan along with 7 quarts of Lifeguard 8 fluid. I need to do a transmission oil change anyway.

This would be the ZF approve diff fluid for the RAM 1500 rear end: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQFV3K8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2IS69AN9A0OWP&psc=1

These are the specs for Castrol Syntrax 75W-140 Limites Slip gear oil: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...C9F77368025843B004F4BB4/$File/BPXE-BEAQ2P.pdf

Compare it to Red Line Oil and AMSOIL Sever Gear and specs-wise it's a heck of a lot better than those. Just the pour point is mind-blowing, along with the Flash Point. Looking at the MSDS it contains a good amount of PAO.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Tran pan is kind of tucked up and doesn't get much airflow, but it also has a dedicated oil cooler out front in the cool air intake.

Differentials don't - they are on the vacuum side of the gearbox with near zero air movement. The weak link in the diffy isn't the gears - it's the bearings. Bank's cool diff covers are cast & milled shapes using Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling to route the gear oil to the 3 bearings instead of making a big boiler bath of oxidizing and emulsifying oil.

For those in hot climes, the cast aluminum and finned scoops route airflow up and around the backside of the diff cover for heat transfer. More important to me where I live is keeping the bearings lubed for maximum B10 life.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I believe Banks research on having edges, that will be harder in fluid then if the oil flows smoothly. I don't know why these never took off, I see many advantages to them, and if you arent wheeling, I like these. You can always see the condition of the fluid.

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Tran pan is kind of tucked up and doesn't get much airflow, but it also has a dedicated oil cooler out front in the cool air intake.

Differentials don't - they are on the vacuum side of the gearbox with near zero air movement. The weak link in the diffy isn't the gears - it's the bearings. Bank's cool diff covers are cast & milled shapes using Computational Fluid Dynamics modeling to route the gear oil to the 3 bearings instead of making a big boiler bath of oxidizing and emulsifying oil.

For those in hot climes, the cast aluminum and finned scoops route airflow up and around the backside of the diff cover for heat transfer. More important to me where I live is keeping the bearings lubed for maximum B10 life.

The majority of the diff gets airflow,the whole front side hangs out where air can hit it,unless your running a really low drop,lol.The pinion bearings are the hottest running bearings in a diff,and the front pinion bearing is out where it gets lots of airflow,and if you watch Gales video's not once does he check the front of the diff for temp,where the front pinion bearing resides,so we're not really sure if his cover does anything to cool the hottest running bearings ie:the pinion bearings

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Yes Sir I did! I watched the series he did on diff covers, and he did a great job compiling data. He's also a great salesman and managed to incorporate his own product into the presentation. I think more products should be presented like the Banks Diff Cover, backed by real data and evidence.

Amsoil might be the only exception, since they talk about Trimmer Moly on their own blog. Well, Amsoil has industrial railways going through their factory and they had a very long and fruitful relationship with ExxonMobil, Lubrizol, and probably Shell. They're an oil blender that serve a niche market and probably a microscopic fraction of farmers and truckers and the US and Canada. They're not really competition for the big guys, but more like customers, lol. So I don't see a problem for Amsoil getting their hands on the best additives to put into their products.

Thank you so much for your advice. You're absolutely right. I don't tow much. The last time I towed anything heavy was a 1200 LBS truck transmission in a 900 LBS trailer when I took it 100 miles down the road to have it rebuilt, and the next day back to put it back in my dad's truck along with a new clutch, hehe. I'll save my money and get the transmission pan along with 7 quarts of Lifeguard 8 fluid. I need to do a transmission oil change anyway.

This would be the ZF approve diff fluid for the RAM 1500 rear end: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KQFV3K8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2IS69AN9A0OWP&psc=1

These are the specs for Castrol Syntrax 75W-140 Limites Slip gear oil: https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/...C9F77368025843B004F4BB4/$File/BPXE-BEAQ2P.pdf

Compare it to Red Line Oil and AMSOIL Sever Gear and specs-wise it's a heck of a lot better than those. Just the pour point is mind-blowing, along with the Flash Point. Looking at the MSDS it contains a good amount of PAO.
Amsoil must use trimmer then. Very true on not really competition for the big guys. Lots of people i know that like amsoil dont run it cause their to poor lol. Or they run their interceptor snowmobil oil.

i think im going to use that fluid in my rear diff. Looks fantastic

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I pulled my camper (about 3500lbs plus 2 adults and 2 kids in the truck with supplies) up the Ike Gauntlet in 2018. The hottest my diff got was about 160⁰ according to my infrared thermometer. I had Amsoil SG 75w140 in it at the time and that pretty much sold me on SG after that.

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I pulled my camper (about 3500lbs plus 2 adults and 2 kids in the truck with supplies) up the Ike Gauntlet in 2018. The hottest my diff got was about 160⁰ according to my infrared thermometer. I had Amsoil SG 75w140 in it at the time and that pretty much sold me on SG after that.
SG was my choice for this truck but i may try castrol syntrax instead

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I contacted driven oil on their fr20 5w20 and i got a spec sheet for it. He said nothing of moly content which was my main question so im waiting on a response as to the moly. Their ls30 5w30 has 300 ppm of trimmer moly according to someone on bitog who uses it but i cannot remember his name

i will update as soon as i hear of the moly content

977D2644-66AC-4547-A23F-CFD34DF5950A.png