Fade set almost completely to rear?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Platypusfetch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey folks. Perhaps someone can direct me on this.
2020 Ram Express. Base 6 speaker system.
8.4 Uconnect factory head unit.
Stock speakers had to be faded to the rear to balance sound (add rear fill) Fronts completely overpowered the rear speakers.
*Replaced all 6 speakers with Kicker Speakers. 3.5" Dash (with bass blockers)
6.5" 2 ways in the front doors
6x9" 3 ways rear doors.
Now the fade has to be set almost ALL the way to the rear to hear them. Not what I was anticipating.
Any insight to balance out the sound
(Secret dealer settings maybe)?
Thanks much.

Sandevino

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7 eTorque
Are the new speakers the same OHM and RMS rating as the factory ones?

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are the 3.5" speakers 8 ohm speakers?
All four doors 4 ohm speakers?

It's normal for the fronts to overpower the rears even stock, just pure speaker placement.

HOWEVER,
The stock door speakers are 4 ohm speakers and the stock 3.5" speakers are 8 ohm speakers.
So if you replaced 3.5" with 4 ohm speakers, they will overpower the rest and you will need to add an inline 4 ohm power resistor.

OP
OP
Platypusfetch

Platypusfetch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. ALL Kickers installed were 4ohm..... to your knowledge, is there a way to enter a "dealer mode" to set up a better sound stage with the Uconnect?
Or am I looking at the Kicker Key 200.1 (model may be wrong) to help overcome the issue?

PowrRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Big Horn
Engine
3.6L V6
Thanks. ALL Kickers installed were 4ohm.....

There's the problem. The stock dash speakers are 8 ohms. The replacement Kicker dash speakers are only 4 ohms. Your UConnect 8.4 system wants to "see" 8 ohm speakers for the dash speakers. The UConnect head unit is outputting the same electrical current as always but now you have only 4 ohm speakers, not 8 ohm speakers, so they will play much louder since they are lower resistance. The solution is to install 4 ohm resistors in the wiring to the dash speakers. If you have a minimal amount of do-it-yourself skills, it's not difficult to do. I did a step-by-step write up on how to do it. See:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4-ohm-resistor-upgrade-for-aftermarket-dash-speakers.125742/

As far as I know there is no soundstage adjustments to be made in "Dealer Mode" that would address your issue.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Platypusfetch

Platypusfetch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There's the problem. The stock dash speakers are 8 ohms. The replacement Kicker dash speakers are only 4 ohms. Your UConnect 8.4 system wants to "see" 8 ohm speakers for the dash speakers. The UConnect head unit is outputting the same electrical current as always but now you have only 4 ohm speakers, not 8 ohm speakers, so they will play much louder since they are lower resistance. The solution is to install 4 ohm resistors in the wiring to the dash speakers. If you have a minimal amount of do-it-yourself skills, it's not difficult to do. I did a step-by-step write up on how to do it. See:

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/how-to-4-ohm-resistor-upgrade-for-aftermarket-dash-speakers.125742/

As far as I know there is no soundstage adjustments to be made in "Dealer Mode" that would address your issue.

Thanks much!
sorry for the delay in replying... notification never came. Cheers!