Failing fuel pump?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

otanisan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Howdy 04 ram quad cab hemi , ov3r 200k miles .. been having intermittent hesitation, idle issues , lacks power on acceleration, changed or checked the following crank sensor , new plugs ,air temp sensor , all new 02 sensors, put a gauge on fuel rail and it was fluctuating ,then it went from 49 psi to 30 psi in 10 minutes, could it be failing fuel pump?

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
It very well could be. I finally had to replace the one in my 1996 Ram 2 years ago as it started doing much the same thing you are describing. Replacing them is a pain, make sure tank is as empty as possible. I really miss the drain bungs that used to be on tanks.

OP
OP
otanisan

otanisan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I will replace it Sunday and report back , btw new throttle body and new pedal sensor too,this truck was neglected so bad ,and evrything I do it seems to love, seems to have tons of power when running right

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I will replace it Sunday and report back , btw new throttle body and new pedal sensor too,this truck was neglected so bad ,and evrything I do it seems to love, seems to have tons of power when running right
If you get more hesitation and power loss going uphill that is pretty much a guarantee it is the fuel pump. Will be interested to hear if this fixes your issues.

OP
OP
otanisan

otanisan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Well as I recall wed I was parked facing uphill ,and it did not start on 1st try ,so tells me fuel went back to tank,at least that's my theory

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Well as I recall wed I was parked facing uphill ,and it did not start on 1st try ,so tells me fuel went back to tank,at least that's my theory
Failing pumps have a lot harder time pushing fuel uphill. So even if the fuel doesn't drain back, which it won't likely do, pushing new fuel up is a problem for a weak pump. So if you know it is going make sure you park flat or downhill. Used to have to do that with the old crank driven fuel pumps when the rubber diaphragm started to get weak.

OP
OP
otanisan

otanisan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ok update , no rain today here in sa Texas, so I went ahead and installed new pump. I think someone had replaced it before me ,the lock ring was not seated properly and green o ring was busted ,so bad install ,I removed pump and noticed debris on bottom, new pump has a grader like screen wich allows all that garbage to flow back out I think , so Installed evrything , primed it 2 times fired right up! Although it did surge for a few minutes I turned it off picked up tools , then turned it back on and it's steady idle ,drives great ,sunday I'll drive it more and report back,let me post pics of old pump...20230121_143811.jpg

OP
OP
otanisan

otanisan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
All that dark is trash ,from previous installer not seating ring properly, what happend looks like the ring had bent endjes and was catching on plastic fuel pump lip ,all I did was grind it smooth and couple of whacks and it seated perfect20230121_143805.jpg

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Getting all the crap out of the tank will help a lot with the longevity of the new pump. Glad the truck is running good for you, always nice when a plan comes together.

OP
OP
otanisan

otanisan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
I did not drop tank due to being half full , I took a peek inside and didn't see much trash , so I decided due to needing truck ,that in the summer I'll drop tank and also needs a new vent line cap ,both tiny lines are broken off ,so I'll order parts n hold on to them ....

OP
OP
otanisan

otanisan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
We'll update, today she acted up again ,slight hesitation, roms surging at or wants to go under 500 ,so Saturday I'll pull gas tank now that's its almost empty and clean it out if I see anything

TowingMotorcycles

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Cummins
I'm having similar issues. My acceleration is jerky with hesitation typically starts when the tank is close to half ways full. I've been scouring the internet and reading on diesel mechanics as if I'm attaining a degree. So I'm eager to hear if you've reached a soluble fix for your symptoms?

Thank you,