Farewell Ram and hello Tundra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Good luck! If I had to buy a new truck right now, wouldn’t have a clue which one I would pick. 2017 Rebel with 101,000 miles. Air suspension went out twice and had it deleted the second time. Back up camera works when it wants to. Hopefully I won’t have to make that decision anytime soon.
Thank you, hope your truck lasts a long time. And these are some minor annoyances.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I can't decide what looks worst, the out-of-place bright blue house that sticks out like a sore thumb or the massive Tundra grill that has obviously had an ugly stick beat down. The good news is, when you are driving you can't see the grill but you will have to deal with what I think, subjective as it is, an inferior interior compared to RAM.

I see you have been messing with after-market lighting on your RAM, is it possible your tinkering has brought on some of the gremlins you are mentioning?

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I don't think I could get used to that front end either - are their designers blind?

Bold design though lol.
Seems like designers try to make them look like their competitors' designs.

That is what I like about the 4th gen Ram design. It is unique. You know what it is a mile away, cannot be mistaken for anything else.

JMHO, YMMV.

P.S. OP, your call, congrats on the new ride.

Last edited:

pjram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A lot depends on how a manufacturer supports the customer. Toyota has a great reputation. I don’t know much about Ram since I bought mine used. I had a 2012 Mustang with a 36k warranty. When the warranty was close to expiration the convertible top had issues. Parts in the steering components were bad and the water pump was going. They wouldn’t cover any of it. Said they were all natural wear issues. I accepted the top, but not the front end parts or water pump. If that’s there excuse then every part on the car is a natural wear issue. The warranty seems like a con. I declined repairs and traded it in on a new Subaru Outback. Not as fun but dependable. The last couple years consumer reports has rated the Ram truck as number one so it sure looks like they have put effort into reliability. So far my 16 has been good, but seeing how it ages is a wait and see.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
A lot depends on how a manufacturer supports the customer. Toyota has a great reputation. I don’t know much about Ram since I bought mine used. I had a 2012 Mustang with a 36k warranty. When the warranty was close to expiration the convertible top had issues. Parts in the steering components were bad and the water pump was going. They wouldn’t cover any of it. Said they were all natural wear issues. I accepted the top, but not the front end parts or water pump. If that’s there excuse then every part on the car is a natural wear issue. The warranty seems like a con. I declined repairs and traded it in on a new Subaru Outback. Not as fun but dependable. The last couple years consumer reports has rated the Ram truck as number one so it sure looks like they have put effort into reliability. So far my 16 has been good, but seeing how it ages is a wait and see.
Very true. Sometimes you never know. You can buy that vehicle that was made on a Monday, lol.

You would like to think a brand new vehicle would be problem free, but parts can and do fail, as they come from all over.

Also, how hard has a used vehicle been abused by a previous owner? Or, maintained for that matter. Even so, things DO break through no fault of anyone, and all we can do is fix it and move on.

Be very worried about used vehicles now, especially since Hurricane Ian, as vehicles got flooded, and salt water. or any water wreaks havoc.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I can't decide what looks worst, the out-of-place bright blue house that sticks out like a sore thumb or the massive Tundra grill that has obviously had an ugly stick beat down. The good news is, when you are driving you can't see the grill but you will have to deal with what I think, subjective as it is, an inferior interior compared to RAM.

I see you have been messing with after-market lighting on your RAM, is it possible your tinkering has brought on some of the gremlins you are mentioning?
I don't think that the interior of Tundra is that bad.

But thank you for my color choice for the house color!

Attachments

• ae34e4fd7290583c26b5ceb4515bc9eb25e33231dc105ebd32e847d0f319344e.png
    ae34e4fd7290583c26b5ceb4515bc9eb25e33231dc105ebd32e847d0f319344e.png
    412.3 KB · Views: 18

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7

Looks are subjective imho. Hope you enjoy the new ride. Toyota would be my #2 choice. Hope you’ll stop buy from time to time with reviews, both good and bad. Though I’m reasonably sure they will be mostly good.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That interior looks pretty attractive to me.

Things I miss from my 07 Tundra; it had 3 dedicated spots for sunglasses, two insanely massive cup holders next to the shifter that perfectly held 1 liter Nalgene bottles, and a 3-way switch for the interior lighting/cargo light. It was my choice for on, OFF, or auto.

This insane always lit up like a Christmas tree concept will be modified at some future date. :cool:

I could never live in the city again but I like that shade of blue. :)

bpgt

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I recently sold my 2015 Power Wagon as well. It was just too much truck for me and my needs. I wasnt able to find time to take it on offroad adventures as much as i would have liked as well.

But in its place, i bought something that im finding fits 90% of my needs on a daily basis, and is more maneuverable:

PXL_20220812_212446089.jpg
... A small VW Golf TDI conversion ;)

Enjoy the new Tundra. Only you can judge if it fits your needs/lifestyle.

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I like the colors and overall dash layout. Not to keen on that ugly console.

Not that you had any choice in speccing the truck, but 14" wide consoles on trucks these days takes up a lot of air, feels like a colossal waste of interior space to me, when the shifter dial could be on the dash. I kept knocking my Rt knee on the consoles. Tundra offers an 'ok' bench seat arrangement, but it's still the lame console-filling item the rest of the manufacturers use. Ram: Bring back a legitimate 60-40 bench seat and get rid of that plastic floor hump!!! :waytogo: Everything old is new again...lol.

Tundra 'bench'
1666543390297.png

Jeepwalker

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Reg Cab, 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
BPGT: ....... A small VW Golf TDI conversion ;)

That's neat ...never saw one of those before. It should be good for 45-50mpg on the highway. My old Jetta TDI got a solid 40mpg (AVERAGE) ...every tankful. That was a mix of highway and city driving.

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I recently sold my 2015 Power Wagon as well. It was just too much truck for me and my needs. I wasnt able to find time to take it on offroad adventures as much as i would have liked as well.

But in its place, i bought something that im finding fits 90% of my needs on a daily basis, and is more maneuverable:

View attachment 505042
... A small VW Golf TDI conversion ;)

Enjoy the new Tundra. Only you can judge if it fits your needs/lifestyle.

I could fit my snowblower & lawn tractor next to my truck if it were a bit smaller. :cool:

I like all the space you have.

Ram barn side view.jpg

Ram barn front view.jpg

Last edited:

seanlovesniki

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
it's time to move on.
I will miss this community though.

You did your time with a Ram, it seems like you have no reason to leave the forum. Your experiences are helpful to some of us newer first-time owners (2021). I get that you will be spending time on the Toy forums, but guys like me could use your input. At any rate, it was cool of you to say bye.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Looking good, is that the 1794 edition? They had them here if U could find, starting at 68K. I thought about it, but they only offered me 35K for MY 19, so the Red Beast stay in it's assigned spot in front of house, Glorified Driveway Princess.

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Nice truck @Kap1 I hope it treats you well!

As others have stated, I hope you check back here from and let us know how everything is going and how you like the truck.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I like the colors and overall dash layout. Not to keen on that ugly console.

Not that you had any choice in speccing the truck, but 14" wide consoles on trucks these days takes up a lot of air, feels like a colossal waste of interior space to me, when the shifter dial could be on the dash. I kept knocking my Rt knee on the consoles. Tundra offers an 'ok' bench seat arrangement, but it's still the lame console-filling item the rest of the manufacturers use. Ram: Bring back a legitimate 60-40 bench seat and get rid of that plastic floor hump!!! :waytogo: Everything old is new again...lol.

Tundra 'bench'
View attachment 505043
I was also not a fan of the big 14in screen in the beginning, but now that I've been using it for couple of weeks, I do like it. The GPS is by Google maps and it's so much easier to see all of the details on a larger screen. I got quickly used to the fact that Tundra has less of airy like feeling in cabin than ram has.

I wish I could get a truck with a center seat! I had that with ram and loved it - I could jump out from the passenger seat if parked too close on the left side, and stored my flip flops on the center seat floor!

But - if you want a high trim truck, nobody of the big 3 makes one anymore with a center middle seat. Even though supposedly you can get f150 Laramie with a front middle seat, no dealership had one all across North California...

So I had to settle for the center console and a center shifter :(

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Looking good, is that the 1794 edition? They had them here if U could find, starting at 68K. I thought about it, but they only offered me 35K for MY 19, so the Red Beast stay in it's assigned spot in front of house, Glorified Driveway Princess.
Your red ram looks nice! Yes it's 1794 edition. I originally wanted lower limited trim but it was impossible to get without paying $7-10k over msrp and I searched 100 dealers all throughout the CA. So when I saw 1794 edition at a local trustworthy dealer who only charged a humble 3k over msrp, I jumped on it.

I was able to get best offer from Carmax dealership, all of the other dealers low balled me...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Your red ram looks nice! Yes it's 1794 edition. I originally wanted lower limited trim but it was impossible to get without paying $7-10k over msrp and I searched 100 dealers all throughout the CA. So when I saw 1794 edition at a local trustworthy dealer who only charged a humble 3k over msrp, I jumped on it.

I was able to get best offer from Carmax dealership, all of the other dealers low balled me...
Outstanding, they are optioned indeed. They R like 68K before U do ne thing here. Way beyond my lowly Bighorn, LOL.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins

The color is nice, I like it, blues are my favorites. But the color isn't fitting into the neighborhood.

TFL just posted an Ike tow test with the Tundra, they weren't too impressed.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
Nice Truck and I hope it gives you decades of trouble free Enjoyment.

Fare Well