Farewell Ram and hello Tundra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KC Kevin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I agree with some of the others, I thought the last generation of Tundras was better looking. Even so, I tried to get a Tundra TRD Pro 4x4 before getting my Ram, even before they hit the lot. I was told it would be a year. The way things have gone, I would still be waiting. I also tried to get a Lightening. That didn't work out either; probably for the best after I saw the towing range tests. Yikes.

This is my first FCA product. My long-time trusted mechanic would have told me not to buy it. Still feels like a dice roll. It is comfortable as heck, looks great and drives nice. Love the range and the mpg.

I came from a Ford Family; I've owned 11 of them including F150's, F250's and an F350. I've also owned multiple Toyotas. I had a 2003 Tundra that I loved loved loved to drive. It was fast and quick and handled well. Had it been big enough, I probably still have it. If a guy can find a clean, low mileage 1st Gen Tundra without rust you might just get a 300-500K mile gem.

All cars and trucks are designed to need repairs; it's called engineered functional obsolescence. It's how the manufacturers, and the dealerships, make money. If you get a 'good one', it will break less. If you get a lemon, well...that just sucks. Most will be average.

I am hoping for average!!

Attachments

• IMG_0547[1].JPG
    IMG_0547[1].JPG
    202.4 KB · Views: 6

1STRAM2500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
OP, I owned 2001 and 2007 Tundras. Absolutely loved them both. No major issues arose over combined mileage of 472K miles. Only had minor, aggravating problems pop up. Yeah, had O2 sensors go bad on the 2001 at about 150k, mechanic told me to just keep driving as long as mileage kept up. The 07 had lousy radio that had to be replaced and still worked when it wanted to. At least never had engine/tranny issues. Only reason I abandoned Toyota was the Tundra was not enough truck for the wife's new TT. Ended up with 2022 2500 CC 6.4 Hemi Tradesman. So far so good with 14K miles since end of Mar 22. I agree the new Tundra grille is UGLY. So is the Silverado HD, which I tried to buy, but my order was never accepted after 3 months of waiting. The RAM is the best looking of all the trucks, the interior is not bad for the low trim line I bought. I must say I have been quite impressed with the initial quality on the RAM. Paint finish, trim, panel gaps, MPG, comfort, performance, etc have all been great. Just hope it holds up the way my two Tundras did. Seems any make of vehicle has its closet dwellers with glitches and recalls, so it is always a bit of a crap shoot, especially with today's prices. Enjoy the new TOY!

AltaVision

Reaction score
@Kap1 apparently you didn't see the latest Toyota recall. They wheels can fall off. Seriously, no kidding.

Also, there's a reason why the new RAM 1500 was at the top of the quality ratings, and Toyota was at the middle of the pack. RAM fell to middle only because of a radio issue. Nothing else.
That's the thing about Toyota. You get one truck whose rear axle assembly at the driver's side wheel wasn't properly torqued down (the owner made a YouTube video about it), and they issue a sweeping recall for every single '22 Tundra made. They did the same thing for the 2021 steering rack. One of the machines made around 150 parts in the steering rack that would wear out prematurely. What does Toyota do? They issue a recall notice to every single 2nd gen Tundra (2007-2021) and 2nd gen Sequoia (2008-2022) owner just in case that person bought a replacement OEM rack that was made in the three weeks the rogue machine was turning out compromised parts. They are just more on top of their crap than everyone else.

And Toyota is never on the top of initial quality rankings because they are so far behind in terms of features and creature comforts. Excess longevity at the expense of frequent updates/refreshes and features that come standard in the rest of the segment.

I don't care about the features. My thing is, I want to know how a truck has treated you over the years. What did it take to get to 200k miles? 300k? Comfort, complexity, and the planned obsolescence of an iPhone are at the bottom of the list for me. Unfortunately, everyone's new half tons seem like giant rolling smartphones now. And they're all monitoring you and selling your marketing profile to 3rd parties. So lame.

If I ever sell my Tundra, it will be because I got sick of being over payload when hauling and had to get into a domestic HD truck. So far, a lower trim Cummins is at the top of that list for me.

Ramman70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
View attachment 504937

Hi All,

This day has come, after 9 years of ownership of my 2013 ram 1500, at 120k miles, it's time to move on.

At 120k miles there are just too many things to fix and I didn't feel like throwing "good money after bad"... Lifters and cam or probably the entire long block, transmission won't get into D or R often , brake system warnings. After reading so many stories here how guys tried to upgrade the cam/lifters, did their research, spend tons of money, and keep having knocking or other cel codes, it just wasn't worth the risk to me, and my time and sanity are more valuable to me right now.

I was very disappointed in my ram for completely falling apart at 120k miles, and probably needing about 20k in repairs... I always took very good care of it, used redline 5-30 from the beginning, and was hoping to keep this truck for many more years.

I couldn't make myself buy another ram. I wanted one, was still attracted to them but why would I buy another ram with Chrysler not fixing lifter and manifold bolt issues for the past decade... Dealers around my area suck big time too, I hated wasting time, fighting with them trying to get multiple issues fixed.... So I made decision against ram, as well as other domestic brands.

Just sold my ram to carmax dealership for 13.5k luckily I didn't have any cel lights during the inspection, and the sales rep didn't understand what the lifter/cam engine noises were...

I will miss this community though. I've learned so much over the years on these forums! And members of this forum were always very helpful, mature and welcoming.

Getting used to my new Tundra 2022 now, but still miss my old ram (not the many issues though).

Ramman70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Good luck with your new Toy.

I traded my '07 Tundra for a '21 Classic last January after maintenance costs were getting ridiculous. I'm partially to blame for not keeping up with the undercoating but the cost of replacement parts was astronomical.

If I recall correctly, the jobber alternator was about $1200 installed and about $1400 for a water pump. $400 for gas tank support straps, close to $200 for a tailpipe (part cost only). And don't even get me started on the costs of the remainder of the exhaust system. These are all Canadian $ so about 1.6+ x the US cost. :cool:

That said, while my warranty was still valid, Toyota Canada & Toyota USA took good care of me, mostly.

My truck was made for the US market which was excellent wrt warranty issues. When Toyota Canada dropped the ball on maintaining adequate inventory for a big recall, I just made an appointment in Upper NY state and had them complete the work. Zero problems other than an 80-minute drive through the Adirondack mountains in limp mode. :cool:
I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Used and it’s been nothing but great for me. I have 32K miles on it. No troubles yet!! Love it!

RamDiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I bought a 2020 Ram 1500 Used and it’s been nothing but great for me. I have 32K miles on it. No troubles yet!! Love it!

When I started shopping locally last December, pre-enjoyed trucks were insanely priced around here.

My best guess is I spent about $3-5K more for a brand-new truck with a full extended warranty versus buying something a year or two older with between 18,000-30,000 miles. That's insane.

I'm happy for you that you were able to find an equitable deal on a pre-enjoyed truck.