Farewell Ram and hello Tundra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

eebozz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Nice looking tundra! I was a loyal Toyota owner for as far back as my first vehicle as a teenager. I’ve owned three different generations of tundra’s. This past January I purchased a 22 tundra and I soon started to realize how poor the build quality was on my 22 compared to my other tundra’s. I especially noticed some of the quality issues when when hand washing the truck, the third brake light had a gap all the way around it and it wobbled when washing around it . Same thing with the antenna fin on the roof. Also, the rubber trim around back door windows lift up and aren’t long enough to seat properly.There’s just so much more plastic on the new tundra now, the center console always rattled and I started having that “clunk” sound at startups periodically that people have talked about.
I can’t forget to mention the mysterious bed rattle that happened every time I went over a bump, couldn’t find where it was coming from.
In comparison I’d say even though the tundra had a lag in throttle response from a dead stop, it was definitely peppier than the 5.7 etorque and it pulled a 6k T.T. With ease. I do miss the Toyota safety sense features, and even though the Tundra ride quality was better than previous gens, the ram has a smoother ride, and so far surprisingly the ram is getting around 1+ mpg better than the tundra.
I hope you enjoy your new tundra , you have a nice looking truck!
Here’s a pic of my 22 tundra next to my new Ram Laramie.

Attachments

• 4ACCBF11-AAA0-43C2-A251-D6701C2F3662.jpeg
    4ACCBF11-AAA0-43C2-A251-D6701C2F3662.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

Jim Carelas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 L V6
View attachment 504937

Hi All,

This day has come, after 9 years of ownership of my 2013 ram 1500, at 120k miles, it's time to move on.

At 120k miles there are just too many things to fix and I didn't feel like throwing "good money after bad"... Lifters and cam or probably the entire long block, transmission won't get into D or R often , brake system warnings. After reading so many stories here how guys tried to upgrade the cam/lifters, did their research, spend tons of money, and keep having knocking or other cel codes, it just wasn't worth the risk to me, and my time and sanity are more valuable to me right now.

I was very disappointed in my ram for completely falling apart at 120k miles, and probably needing about 20k in repairs... I always took very good care of it, used redline 5-30 from the beginning, and was hoping to keep this truck for many more years.

I couldn't make myself buy another ram. I wanted one, was still attracted to them but why would I buy another ram with Chrysler not fixing lifter and manifold bolt issues for the past decade... Dealers around my area suck big time too, I hated wasting time, fighting with them trying to get multiple issues fixed.... So I made decision against ram, as well as other domestic brands.

Just sold my ram to carmax dealership for 13.5k luckily I didn't have any cel lights during the inspection, and the sales rep didn't understand what the lifter/cam engine noises were...

I will miss this community though. I've learned so much over the years on these forums! And members of this forum were always very helpful, mature and welcoming.

Getting used to my new Tundra 2022 now, but still miss my old ram (not the many issues though).
Good Luck with a Toyota... Last year a Service guy drove by with his Ram Truck, forget the year, but he had over 200,000 miles and only replaced the diesel control whatever. His brother mechanic helped him remove it and has no problems since.

JB Weld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had my '99 Sierra NBS for 10 years and loved it. Most reliable vehicle I've ever had, but made the decision last year to buy something newer that wasn't a hybrid and was still new enough to fend off the rust (love WI). Ended up with a Canadian '19 Classic. I really like this truck, but everyone's cam issues have me worried. Also, the random knocking noises have me worried too. My ignorance about Canadian vehicles (and stealership) had me convinced my truck had remaining warranty when purchased.

I'm still very happy with my truck at 41k, and hope the intermittent lifter noise stays the same for many years. I test drove new Chevy 2500 and used 5.3 GMC and have to say I was not impressed, although drive by wire leaves a lot to be desired.

Good luck with your Tundra. Toyota is always a tempting option based on their reputation.

Quick_Shifter

IG: @ak_trucks_pa
Supporting Member
TOTY Winner
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
AK Trucks Tuned 5.7
View attachment 504937

Hi All,

This day has come, after 9 years of ownership of my 2013 ram 1500, at 120k miles, it's time to move on.

At 120k miles there are just too many things to fix and I didn't feel like throwing "good money after bad"... Lifters and cam or probably the entire long block, transmission won't get into D or R often , brake system warnings. After reading so many stories here how guys tried to upgrade the cam/lifters, did their research, spend tons of money, and keep having knocking or other cel codes, it just wasn't worth the risk to me, and my time and sanity are more valuable to me right now.

I was very disappointed in my ram for completely falling apart at 120k miles, and probably needing about 20k in repairs... I always took very good care of it, used redline 5-30 from the beginning, and was hoping to keep this truck for many more years.

I couldn't make myself buy another ram. I wanted one, was still attracted to them but why would I buy another ram with Chrysler not fixing lifter and manifold bolt issues for the past decade... Dealers around my area suck big time too, I hated wasting time, fighting with them trying to get multiple issues fixed.... So I made decision against ram, as well as other domestic brands.

Just sold my ram to carmax dealership for 13.5k luckily I didn't have any cel lights during the inspection, and the sales rep didn't understand what the lifter/cam engine noises were...

I will miss this community though. I've learned so much over the years on these forums! And members of this forum were always very helpful, mature and welcoming.

Getting used to my new Tundra 2022 now, but still miss my old ram (not the many issues though).
Good luck!!!

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
You don't know that !
Cannot imagine someone thinking that they have finally found the first ever trouble free truck for the rest of their life!
Let us know how you feel when making that call to the dealer service department for something that just quit working!
True, nobody knows if my new Tundra will be reliable or not. But I do know that hemi has lifter issues and manifold bolts breaking. So placed my bets on a Toyota this time.

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
Nice looking tundra! I was a loyal Toyota owner for as far back as my first vehicle as a teenager. I’ve owned three different generations of tundra’s. This past January I purchased a 22 tundra and I soon started to realize how poor the build quality was on my 22 compared to my other tundra’s. I especially noticed some of the quality issues when when hand washing the truck, the third brake light had a gap all the way around it and it wobbled when washing around it . Same thing with the antenna fin on the roof. Also, the rubber trim around back door windows lift up and aren’t long enough to seat properly.There’s just so much more plastic on the new tundra now, the center console always rattled and I started having that “clunk” sound at startups periodically that people have talked about.
I can’t forget to mention the mysterious bed rattle that happened every time I went over a bump, couldn’t find where it was coming from.
In comparison I’d say even though the tundra had a lag in throttle response from a dead stop, it was definitely peppier than the 5.7 etorque and it pulled a 6k T.T. With ease. I do miss the Toyota safety sense features, and even though the Tundra ride quality was better than previous gens, the ram has a smoother ride, and so far surprisingly the ram is getting around 1+ mpg better than the tundra.
I hope you enjoy your new tundra , you have a nice looking truck!
Here’s a pic of my 22 tundra next to my new Ram Laramie.
You're correct here - built quality of Tundra on the outside isn't impressive by any means. Side rear window rubber weather proofing cut a bit short, wind noise from the driver side window when on the highway, top fin antenna feels a bit loose as well. I'm sure that the ride quality is better in ram as well.

I'm just hoping that I won't get any more issues than few of these secondary issues (sucks but not critical issues to me), I'm going to dealership this week to bring it up. At least my Toyota dealership is only 15 min from me now, on the way to work vs 45 min out of the way ram dealer whom I visited waaay too many times in the past.

I did read on Tundra forums that many do have same issues with exterior trim parts of the truck. But anyone who had any weird sounds with engine or transmission - they got new entire engine or transmission pretty much right away with 100k bumper to bumper extended warranty for their trouble. (I won't mention anything about how Chrysler handles hemi noises)

OP
OP
Kap1

Kap1

Ex Ram 1500 2013 owner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Tundra
Engine
3.5 vvti
I have owned 5 Toyota mini trucks with 4WD and they held up exceptionally well. When sold them after 180,000 miles on and off road they were rock solid with no gearbox whine or steering wheel play and all the electical systems worked perfectly. I waited for the 2022 Tundra to arrive but then was very disappointed by the trucks.

The Tundra has the worst tailgate setup of any truck sold today. The body work also precludes safely using a third party bed step. Contrast that with the tailgates available from Ram, Chevy, and Ford, and I have to wonder why the product design people in Japan are so clueless about pickups.

The Tundra has only one engine and there is no option for a larger gas tank or a diesel engine or a locking rear differential. To get these one must buy a Ram or a Ford pickup truck. Chevy provides a small diesel option but not a locking differential and I am all too aware of the much higher cost of ownership of a diesel pickup.
Just wanted to correct you:

Tundra does have option for 31 gallon large tank.

Most Tundras do come built with TRD package which includes rear locking differential, and lots of off road goodies (eg crawl control, sand, etc).

I have a really cool power rear bed step.

Fully agree with you on other points.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Haven't read the whole thread but can say I understand you. If not for my Lifetime warranty I'd have dumped my truck long ago. 120K miles, 8 years old - two tranny failures, exhaust bolts, 8.4 Unconnect and it's now sitting in the dealership getting a new engine installed. Not exactly high-quality. I'm 50 and grew up driving Toyotas, Nissans, Chevys, Fords and Hondas and never had a powertrain failure of any kind (and many/most of my older rigs were beat to hell and had a ton of miles). I've now had 3 failures (and other stuff) on a truck I bought new and have babied. Yeah, Ram probably wont' be at the top of my list next time around.

huntergreen

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
You're correct here - built quality of Tundra on the outside isn't impressive by any means. Side rear window rubber weather proofing cut a bit short, wind noise from the driver side window when on the highway, top fin antenna feels a bit loose as well. I'm sure that the ride quality is better in ram as well.

I'm just hoping that I won't get any more issues than few of these secondary issues (sucks but not critical issues to me), I'm going to dealership this week to bring it up. At least my Toyota dealership is only 15 min from me now, on the way to work vs 45 min out of the way ram dealer whom I visited waaay too many times in the past.

I did read on Tundra forums that many do have same issues with exterior trim parts of the truck. But anyone who had any weird sounds with engine or transmission - they got new entire engine or transmission pretty much right away with 100k bumper to bumper extended warranty for their trouble. (I won't mention anything about how Chrysler handles hemi noises)
I read an article awhile back that Toyota was accepting parts that were not meeting their usual quality standards due to COVID shut downs and supply issues. I suspect all manufacturers are doing the same. I guess this is where the term “ COVID car “ comes from.

Doug Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Eco Diesel _3.0
Maybe where you are but where I live Toyota sucks worse than the Ram dealer. I had a 2008 Toyota Camry Solara and within the first year it spent a total of 2 months in the shop. The rear window defroster stopped working and the way they designed the top the only option was replace the whole top. That took them over a month because the dealer kept messing it up. Then we had electronic gremlins, and it was in the shop again for another month. We had it less then 2 years and all the chrome on the internal door handles started peeling so every time you open the door you get cuts from the sharp edge. Traded it in on a Tacoma pickup and within the first 2 years the truck went back 5 times because the blower motor would start to squeal. It also had exhaust headers like the Ram where they would warp and leak. After awhile they would not fix it any more, just told us that's the way it was. Want to know how annoying sound is when you turn the fan on low and have to listen to bearing squeal. Then the frame recall and they had the truck a number of months to fix that. My neighbor had the same recall on his truck, and when they found out he had 175K on the truck they said they would not fix it and total his truck on the spot. They would not let him take it because it was unsafe but yet would not fix it. He wound up sueing them.
I had a similar experience with two Toyotas: A 2003 Toyota 4Runner and 2008 Solara convertible. Both cars' transmissions failed within 30,000 miles of new, but the 4Runner had other troubles that made it completely unreliable, so I traded it for my first Dodge -- a 2005 Durango.

But I think the difference was the dealers involved, one in Springfield VA, and the other in Syracuse NY. First off, the VA dealer tried to fix the 4Runner before replacing the transmission (which had to be done twice). Then once the second transmission failed they replaced the complete exhaust system. It took them 6 months to figure out that the real problem was the computer controlling the 4Runner's engine and transmission. Once that was replaced, I traded it for the Durango.

The Solara was fixed the first time with a new ECU and transmission. Since then the Solara has been pretty reliable for an additional 100,000 miles, but it's not trouble free. The replacement transmission shifted roughly from the beginning, but has a lifetime warranty. As for the convertible top: it was replaced after 6 years because of leaks ($2,000 in 2015), and has to be replaced again! At 130,000 miles the exhaust system had to be replaced ($2,500!). The dashboard now has numerous hairline cracks too. And the seats, which were supposedly high quality leather (but are obviously a mix of low quality leather and vinyl) are cracked and worn thru. Why do we keep it? Its fun to drive and comfortably seats 4. If I could find a decent convertible that seats 4 adults, I would replace it. Sorry none of Europe's current crop of convertibles qualify.

Neither Toyota were as reliable or kept as long as any of the other cars I have owned: 1994 Jeep Cherokee (250,000 miles), 1988 Mustang (175,000), 1984 Subaru (200,000), 2005 Durango (wrecked at 185,000), Suzuki SX4 (wrecked at 130,000).

darrell585

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 cummins
If you let vehicles sit, they go bad. You don't have **** for miles on either one of your dodge products. That likely accounts for the issues. Also, you're comparing what trim package to what trim package? Has to be apples to apples. My 03 ram 4.7 has been fantastic. 240k miles no issues other than one broken exhaust bolt and heater core. Still have it. Traded in my 17 ram limited 5.7 hemi for a 22 ram Laramie Cummins. The 17 had zero issues while I owned it and was loaded with options, factory air suspension alpine radio rear heated seats amazing truck. Just wanted a heavy duty truck. My 22 Laramie has a couple less features from the 17 but is pretty well loaded, almost to 4k miles now with zero complaints. Fuel mileage is great for such a big truck. Toyota makes an awesome truck as well. Just thinking you're not comparing like trim packages and have to consider the technology differences between the generations.

Docwagon1776

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012, 2021
Engine
5.7, 6.4
I read an article awhile back that Toyota was accepting parts that were not meeting their usual quality standards due to COVID shut downs and supply issues. I suspect all manufacturers are doing the same. I guess this is where the term “ COVID car “ comes from.
Several of my friends work for suppliers in management, one in QC management, and this is true. However it's largely cosmetic issues, parts that would have been rejected for minor surface flaws or the like are now accepted, and some tolerances have been loosened a bit. Rejection rates are muuuuuch lower than normal with no changes to the parts manufacturing itself.

Dennis W Halstead

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
The Cummins parts wasn't the problem for me.... it was the rest of the truck that didn't work. Maybe it's me but I like all of it to work all of the time. Especially shouldn't have that many issues under 19.5k miles.

Just another guys experience and opinion also

Killerb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2500
Congrats on the Tundra. Go with your gut. I have a love/hate relationship with Ram also.

Fatone

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
EcoD
I guess I am #3. Picked up a loaded Tundra SR5 TRD Sport Weds night and traded in my 2015 Ecodiesel Lariat which I was happy with for 90k miles. For me, the new Lariats reflect a lower pecking order on the model lineup; they feel cheaper in terms of quality of plastics and seats are no longer all leather but a mashup of faux materials. The dealer network for Chrysler where I live is total trash for service and sales. I live in a major metro suburbs and was down to driving 45 miles to the sticks for a decent dealer to service my Eco. I thought I had a 2022 1500 lined up but the CDJR was all pricing games and random numbers. Then there is the issue of the delimaminated control knob recall that Chrysler warrantied for a while but will never fix. Ram has also eliminated many unique colors do locally it is a sea of the same trucks everywhere. I don't think will have that issue with my Army Green Tundra.

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
View attachment 504937

Hi All,

By what has been reported and put out on YouTube there are some good happy owners of the TOYOTA TRUCK. I think I will stick with RAM, any new first couple of years with a new vehicle has its issues. That's what I've see in a good number of these Toyota trucks. Good luck.

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
I considered a new Tundra for awhile, until the dealer said "comeback in a year."
I have a new Ram diesel. Why not join the winning team and chose a long lived engine that holds together?