FCA emissions recall 67A

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poopsleeve

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7l
FCA is unaware of warranty from Cummins. Really ? I'm going to understand all this much better once I call cummins

Last edited:

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
I doubt any dealer is unaware of an opportunity to collect warranty money from Cummins

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
I got the snail mail version of the recall earlier this year, and of course ignored it since it was titled Emissions Recall Notice. Got an email version yesterday with the subject Urgent Safety Notification...

I can't imagine how this has anything to do with safety, but it's URGENT! :)

It is urgent for the Cummins corporate managers / leadership folks who are worried about their end of year bonus being reduced because of this debacle. At least the ones who have not been told by HR to "seek other opportunities outside of Cummins". The EPA has levied a $1.675 billion civil penalty against Cummins. Cummins may face additional penalties if 85% of the vehicles have not been repaired within 3 years.

Last edited:

CumminsEngines

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
B6.7
@CumminsEngines , care to explain in detail specifically what this recall does? Not the sales pitch, but the meat and potatoes. What are you changing and why?
The reflash is a software calibration update intended to enhance overall emissions performance. It will not affect the truck’s torque, horsepower, handling, or engine function. It takes about an hour. Once completed, your vehicle will be automatically eligible for a Special Extended Warranty coverage Cummins is providing to affected owners/lessees. Please visit cumminsrecall.com for additional information and resources to help you schedule your update. FCA Customer Care is also available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO

CumminsEngines

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
B6.7
FCA is unaware of warranty from Cummins. Really ? I'm going to understand all this much better once I call cummins
There should be information on its way to dealers including updates to their software systems that reflect reflash extended warranty coverage. The Mopar website can also be reviewed for eligibility. If you are a Ram customer, you will also be receiving a letter soon. Vehicles that complete the reflash are automatically eligible for a special extended warranty coverage from Cummins. It covers the costs of a specific list of parts in the engine and aftertreatment system and the associated labor, plus more. Please visit www.cumminsrecall.com for additional details. FCA Customer Care is also available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO. Let us know if you need any further help, and thanks for powering your Ram with Cummins.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The reflash is a software calibration update intended to enhance overall emissions performance. It will not affect the truck’s torque, horsepower, handling, or engine function. It takes about an hour. Once completed, your vehicle will be automatically eligible for a Special Extended Warranty coverage Cummins is providing to affected owners/lessees. Please visit cumminsrecall.com for additional information and resources to help you schedule your update. FCA Customer Care is also available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO
This is the marketing response that I didn't want. What parameters are being modified, from what parameter to what parameter, and why, if these trucks are functioning without issue?

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Companies getting on forums rarely goes well for the company. I can't recall one of any flavor (watches, vehicles, guns) doing the company any good.

People here don't want canned responses. They want assurance that what is being done will be a benefit to them in the long run.

What is the issue, how is it being addressed, what are the consequences of not doing it?

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
According to the EPA, Cummins did something naughty "The violations stem from Cummins configuring one or more emissions software features as defeat devices that reduce or deactivate the vehicle engines emission controls." Here is the complete EPA settlement pages
https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/cummins-settlement-nationwide-recall-program-overview
Unfortunately it is light on technical details. I am sure the EPA has our best interests in mind.

There should be information on its way to dealers including updates to their software systems that reflect reflash extended warranty coverage. The Mopar website can also be reviewed for eligibility. If you are a Ram customer, you will also be receiving a letter soon. Vehicles that complete the reflash are automatically eligible for a special extended warranty coverage from Cummins. It covers the costs of a specific list of parts in the engine and aftertreatment system and the associated labor, plus more. Please visit www.cumminsrecall.com for additional details. FCA Customer Care is also available 24 hours a day / 7 days a week. They can be reached at: 1-866-726-4636 or 1-866-RAM-INFO. Let us know if you need any further help, and thanks for powering your Ram with Cummins.

Will dealers that have a policy of not working on vehicles more than 10 years old perform repairs under the warranty?

Last edited:

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
This is the marketing response that I didn't want. What parameters are being modified, from what parameter to what parameter, and why, if these trucks are functioning without issue?
I agree, @CumminsEngines didn't say anything, they wrote a lot of words but said nothing about what was being asked.

Cummins said, "The reflash is a software calibration update intended to enhance overall emissions performance. It will not affect the truck’s torque, horsepower, handling, or engine function".

If you want to update my 2015 Cummins, answer the question by telling us what is changing, and don't tell us what isn't. I can't help but believe you are hiding something. My truck is running flawlessly and I have every intention of keeping it this way.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
Who is going to do a before and after DYNO? I see on some other Cummins forums people have said they were going to but it hasn’t happened yet. I see a couple people say there truck improved on other forums, but I am skeptical they may be trolls trying to plant a seed and lure people into the update. Some guys are serious that they believe they lost 1 mpg and saw heavy increase in DEF. Cummins has to flash 85% of the trucks or something like that or they get more penalties. I’m sure glad I didn’t opt for the 2016 2500 Cummins when I bought my hemi— my thinking was I don’t trust the emissions system— and turns out my instinct was spot on. I’m unfortunately in a CARB state. I just have to make sure I upgrade my hemi before they require Gas particle filters.

EastWestHemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 2500
Engine
6.4 w/4.10s
My guess is the 10 to 20 billion $ EPA and CARB received from the VW cheat device scandal is gone and they will just work their way back through all the diesel vehicles to keep their slush fund stocked. Cummins and others will just pass this onto their customers. What is interesting is that the EPA is making them drop
New engines and retrofit locomotives— dead giveaway as to their true intentions. They will sue any company that produces or burns fossil fuels for their projects. Although rail yards are pretty dirty places, those locomotives really belt out the emissions. What’s next? Bunker fueled cargo ships

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
@CumminsEngines @RamCares

Maybe I am reading comprehension challenged but this extended warranty excludes me. I have a 2016 with 208,000 miles.

“This letter is to inform you that if your vehicle completes Emissions Recall VB6 or 67A, FCA US LLC is extending the warranty period on certain emission control system components on your vehicle for the greater of: I) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 miles on the odometer (whichever comes first); or (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from date of Emissions Recall completion (whichever comes first), but not to exceed December 31, 2033 for any eligible vehicle that receives the recall after April 9, 2027.”

I don’t meet test “i” now due to mileage. If I get the recall done before April 9, 2027 I don’t meet test “ii”. So it looks like no recall warranty for me unless I wait until April 10, 2027.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.

Maybe I am reading comprehension challenged but this extended warranty excludes me. I have a 2016 with 208,000 miles.

“This letter is to inform you that if your vehicle completes Emissions Recall VB6 or 67A, FCA US LLC is extending the warranty period on certain emission control system components on your vehicle for the greater of: I) 10 years from the date of initial sale or 120,000 miles on the odometer (whichever comes first); or (ii) 4 years or 48,000 miles from date of Emissions Recall completion (whichever comes first), but not to exceed December 31, 2033 for any eligible vehicle that receives the recall after April 9, 2027.”

I don’t meet test “i” now due to mileage. If I get the recall done before April 9, 2027 I don’t meet test “ii”. So it looks like no recall warranty for me unless I wait until April 10, 2027.

And in all those 208k miles and 8 or 9 yrs, how many Emmissions related issues have you had??

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
And in all those 208k miles and 8 or 9 yrs, how many Emmissions related issues have you had??
Not really sure what your point is?

DEF pump went out at 88,000 miles. Truck was down for a month due to indefinite national back order on the pump. I got lucky and a new popped up on EBay.

I subscribe to if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Otherwise there is a good chance of fixing it until it is broken.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Not really sure what your point is?

DEF pump went out at 88,000 miles. Truck was down for a month due to indefinite national back order on the pump. I got lucky and a new popped up on EBay.

I subscribe to if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Otherwise there is a good chance of fixing it until it is broken.
That's my point. All those miles and all you had was a def pump go out. My 18 never had a MIL at all. My father has 160k and never had an Emmissions issue neither.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
So your point has nothing to do with the fact the extended warranty, which is an inducement to get owners to bring in their vehicle, will not be valid for a segment of the population.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I think what he is saying is in agreement with you to a degree. There's no reason to do something that might break a truck that has otherwise ran well over the course of all those miles.

I received another letter this weekend that outlines the "warranty" extension that I won't get if I let them tune my truck. Once again, no thank you. These trucks are reliable, even with the chance of an emissions failure, so I too am in the camp of "if it ain't broke don't fix it (until it is).

Sidewyz1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

You are covered by ii for 4 years or 48k miles if you have the recall performed prior to April 9th, 2023. The Dec 31, 2023 date places a time limit on vehicles which receive the recall after April 9th, 2023.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You are covered by ii for 4 years or 48k miles if you have the recall performed prior to April 9th, 2023. The Dec 31, 2023 date places a time limit on vehicles which receive the recall after April 9th, 2023.
you do know its 2024 correct? I didn't receive my recall notice until last week.