FCA ISSUES POWER STEERING RECALL FOR 19’ RAM 1500!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dsps70

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HemiV8
We saw this coming!

“The company said Friday a fastener that grounds the battery wasn’t secured properly in manufacturing. The connection can become loose, which disables the power steering. Drivers can still steer but the effort it takes wouldn’t be consistent.”
Assoc. press

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Just read the article myself, hopefully that solves the issue

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
If you can't steer your RAM without the power assisted steering, maybe you should be driving a Prius.

Not so fast.

A lot of the full or even electric assisted steering racks have a very large, thick spring inside them in case of a failsafe where the electric stops working. Fighting that large, thick spring is a LOT different than driving an old school car that did not have power steering. You arent just fighting the wheels you are fighting the pressure from that spring.

And on top of that, think of it failing at speed where all of a sudden the steering will just snap back to center after the electric fails, then you try to steer it and all of a sudden you can barely move it. Now figure all of that happening at 60mph.....

Infiniti had a huge issue with the electric steering in their Q50 when it first launched. It would fail at speed without warning and all of a sudden no one could steer it without a TON of effort.

sman301

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
good thing the issue is found can be delt with

Krackle

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I don't know if the electric power steering set up on the Ram is similar to that of a Ford Fusion, I had steering go out on me in Ford Fusion hybrid police car and it was a very dangerous situation till I was able to stop, super hard to steer. I have driven an Chevy Impala police car almost a whole tour when power steering was out, it was rough but able to do it.

K-Dawg

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
It's hard, but no impossible. Pull the fuse on the power steering and try it. It's good to know how it will feel if it ever happens.

R1nZX

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L

Max Limited

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks, found it on the other forum. I visit both as anything that helps maintain our trucks is helpful.
If anyone sees the pictures, taken from above the ground, it is easy to find it if you look through the driver's side wheel well, pull the front, engine side, plastic liner out slightly and the offending bolt is right there. Mine was tight. It is 10mm. I will still let the dealership inspect it if "official" recall comes out to get it documented.

RAMVT

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well I brought my truck in for the power steering recall last Friday. The dealer said they fixed it no problems.

Well the past week the weirdest thing kept happening to me and I finally just put two and two together. Every time I get in to the truck and start it, I get zapped (static shock). Today after stopping to get gas, I jumped back in to move my truck out of the way of the pumps so I wasn't blocking anyone while I went inside. I got zapped when I started it. When I came out of the store I got zapped again. I immediately shut the truck off, opened/shut the door and restarted it. I made sure that I was only touching the push button start. No zap. I put the truck in reverse and as soon as I put my left hand on the wheel. ZAP!

I truly believe I have become the grounding source for my power steering lol.

I have felt nothing wrong with the actual performance of the steering before or after the recall. Not sure what they did but she is headed back next Thursday to get diagnosed.

twooldfarmers

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Laramie Crew 4x4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well this is interesting as from the get-go I have had intermittent electrical issues with my 2019 and I have said all along that it was likely a grounding issue and today I finally sent it off on a deck truck for a no start issue at 2300 miles on the odometer.