Should I color match?

• Color match

Votes: 23 59.0%
  • Leave black

Votes: 16 41.0%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ArizonaWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just got a set of mopar pocket style fender flares for my ram 1500 4th gen. I am trying to decide if I should color match them or not. I have a big knife mark from someone on the side of my truck and I was going to get it fixed anyways (1k insurance deductible...) and feel like I could get a good price to have them painted in addition.

I like the black, but have seen some of these that are sun rotted and get that white plastic color fade. I live in Arizona so that is a factor.. Looking for some input or suggestions, thanks!!

20201022_155632.jpg

OP
OP
ArizonaWolfe

ArizonaWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
OEM style I agree with BOWERS ... color match them .... pocket style like mine look better black but depending on what wheel set up you have and color of your truck ... color match them

Mine is pretty similar to yours it looks like but I still have the chrome bumper. 20201022_155632.jpg 20201022_155632.jpg

20200906_184426.jpg

Dakota2020

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just got a set of mopar pocket style fender flares for my ram 1500 4th gen. I am trying to decide if I should color match them or not. I have a big knife mark from someone on the side of my truck and I was going to get it fixed anyways (1k insurance deductible...) and feel like I could get a good price to have them painted in addition.

I like the black, but have seen some of these that are sun rotted and get that white plastic color fade. I live in Arizona so that is a factor.. Looking for some input or suggestions, thanks!!

View attachment 225347

Nice prop up job! Reminds me of myself when I use my kids to hold up things to my truck!
I personally like the matte black on your red. I’ve seen others use 303 aerospace protectant to keep it chalk free.
Looks like you need Bushwackers with those monster truck tires.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Mine is pretty similar to yours it looks like but I still have the chrome bumper. View attachment 225351 View attachment 225351

View attachment 225353
No doubt color match looks pro, and I think black, pocket style, carries an aggressive truck appearance. With your truck I would say depends on what you do with your bumpers and grill. Staying with the chrome or going chrome delete? If you stay with chrome I think it strengthens the option of color match even with the pocket style.

I would see what a rendering of your truck and color could reveal before I spent too much on color match just because I think they look pretty sic right now, especially with those wheels and tires.

Cheechdogs truck speaks for itself. Black grill, black bumpers, gotta roll black flares. Agro lookn truck.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If you want a more rugged off-road look, I think black looks better. Painted gives it more of a street look.

BTW - I would look into putting the paint protection film where the flare meets the paint. From personal experience, the road grit that gets between the flare and paint works like sand paper and will eventually eat through to the metal. I put my flares on, outlined them with 1/4" masking tape, removed the flares, then put the 3/8" xpel door edge guard inside the masking tape line before re-installing them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPMCASA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It takes a little extra time but it is worth it in the long run.

Gamedog

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 PW
Engine
392 c.i.
I'd leave them black to go with the wheels and black accents you have already.

Bumpers and grill could be left chrome IMO.

WY.Ram

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
If you want a more rugged off-road look, I think black looks better. Painted gives it more of a street look.

BTW - I would look into putting the paint protection film where the flare meets the paint. From personal experience, the road grit that gets between the flare and paint works like sand paper and will eventually eat through to the metal. I put my flares on, outlined them with 1/4" masking tape, removed the flares, then put the 3/8" xpel door edge guard inside the masking tape line before re-installing them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPMCASA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

^^^^^^^ Excellent advice^^^^^^^^
the flares will chap your truck quick, and even if you catch it early still a nightmare to buff out. I won't let anything touch mine again without ppf in between them.

OP
OP
ArizonaWolfe

ArizonaWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

I ended up getting this from Amazon and was going to cut it to size.. I like yours better because it is pre cut but I think this should work too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M0XY12V/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_glXKFbT7K018Q

OP
OP
ArizonaWolfe

ArizonaWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
No doubt color match looks pro, and I think black, pocket style, carries an aggressive truck appearance. With your truck I would say depends on what you do with your bumpers and grill. Staying with the chrome or going chrome delete? If you stay with chrome I think it strengthens the option of color match even with the pocket style.

I would see what a rendering of your truck and color could reveal before I spent too much on color match just because I think they look pretty sic right now, especially with those wheels and tires.

Cheechdogs truck speaks for itself. Black grill, black bumpers, gotta roll black flares. Agro lookn truck.

'16 Wagon Greene tune feed'n & fire'n 6.4L with 6spd 5.13 AAM, 37" KM3, -12mm Fuels Thuren Overland, DOR, Purple Cranium CAI, ARH, Solo Mach44 z36, EBC Custom vinyl AVS, 4% tint Morimoto, Rigid, Diode Dynamics AlfaOBD, Diablo, Nanny Kill, Locker bypass .................

I am not a huge fan of my chrome and would prefer a bumper that is color matched or black but it is hard to find a bumper that looks OEM that isn't chrome. I am not a huge fan of the chopped up offroad bumpers that don't look very streamline. So it leaves me with a dilemma. I love the look of this 2500 but they don't make bumpers like this for the 1500s that I know of and that aren't 2k or more. I'm leaning towards color matching but am not sure how well paint holds up on the flares. I also thought about maybe putting a coat of rustolium black and clear coat on so they won't get sun faded and it would be cheap.

d01028ec0a94cb412b6f40a804361c9b.jpg

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am not a huge fan of my chrome and would prefer a bumper that is color matched or black but it is hard to find a bumper that looks OEM that isn't chrome. I am not a huge fan of the chopped up offroad bumpers that don't look very streamline. So it leaves me with a dilemma. I love the look of this 2500 but they don't make bumpers like this for the 1500s that I know of and that aren't 2k or more. I'm leaning towards color matching but am not sure how well paint holds up on the flares. I also thought about maybe putting a coat of rustolium black and clear coat on so they won't get sun faded and it would be cheap.

View attachment 225371
NOW THATS A TRUCK!!!!

OP
OP
ArizonaWolfe

ArizonaWolfe

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I might put them on and see how I like the black and then maybe if it looks bad have it color matched. My worry is the truck looking like the picture of the one with the chrome bumper.... looks tacky in my opinion and too miss matched. I am yet to see a color matched set look bad or out of place.

Delmonico-red_Main.png

maxresdefault.jpg

8be79e28340498fa8e124a55829d20c5.jpg

2020_SCA_RAM_HD_BW_DelmonicoR_rearQB.jpg

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think I might put them on and see how I like the black and then maybe if it looks bad have it color matched. My worry is the truck looking like the picture of the one with the chrome bumper.... looks tacky in my opinion and too miss matched. I am yet to see a color matched set look bad or out of place.

View attachment 225383

View attachment 225384

View attachment 225385

View attachment 225386

I think the pic above with the black flares looks tacky because of the wheels and tires. Its like wearing wranglers and tennis shoes. Just don't look good.

Wes Veness

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 SLT Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I think the pic above with the black flares looks tacky because of the wheels and tires. Its like wearing wranglers and tennis shoes. Just don't look good.
I agree, you put any one of the tire wheel matchups from any of the other 3 and that truck looks sharp... IMHO

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Leave the truck alone. It's free and you don't need to thinker too much color matching a piece of plastiic or damaging your fenders with said piece of plastic.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7

View attachment 225347
I was going to say color match, I had mine done max-steel metallic, but do like the color combo. I use the 303 on my tonneau real happy with it . You could leave black for now & paint later if you end up not liking it. Great looking truck either way!