Fender flares, would like opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Would like others opinions before I drop some money.
I have a black sport with the 1 piece plastic front bumper. Currently have the riveted bushwacker style flares that have a notch around the corner of the headlight. They are about 8 years old and pretty beat up and am looking to get some new ones soon because 1) they've left marring in the clear coat, 2) I have a rust spot, 3) i like the added protection, 4) it feels naked without them

Now here's what I'm thinking: i dont want the rivet style, i just dont think the look fits what I want to go for. I also am not particularly a big fan of paint to match flares because I feel like it just looks like a cheap add on. So I was thinking I really like the 4th gen rebel flares. They are a matte black that is intentionally different from the paint.
My only concern about those is because the rebel front bumper is designed to go with them, they look good. If you imagine them with a sport bumper I'm thinking it's going to look like trash and end up making it look ghetto.

just wanted to see what others might think, matte black rebel flares on a black sport bumper? Yes or no?

I should probably just look for a rebel or warlock since I love it so much...

Attachments

• 20230122_095016.jpg
    20230122_095016.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

ppine

Forester
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
The after market industry has really done a number on a lot of people. You should be putting the equipment on your truck that you like. It doesn't matter what other people think.

I think there is a lot of donkey crap out there that people are dying to hang on their trucks. They spend a lot of money to look cool.. Big tires and rims are the one that really gets me. Sure you might add some ground clearance, but you lose power and make trucks top heavy.

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do what YOU like. Im not a fender flare fan.

Well I thought I explained what I think I would like. I just have trouble visualizing it. I think it would look good, but not sure if I'm delusional.... lol

For the reasons above I'm pretty much committed to keeping flares

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The after market industry has really done a number on a lot of people. You should be putting the equipment on your truck that you like. It doesn't matter what other people think.

I think there is a lot of donkey crap out there that people are dying to hang on their trucks. They spend a lot of money to look cool.. Big tires and rims are the one that really gets me. Sure you might add some ground clearance, but you lose power and make trucks top heavy.

I'm not that jaded and I value others opinions, also i suppose you could say I'm vain and shallow and want to be cool. It is what it is, I wont lie or deny it

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
I would not go matt black against gloss black. I would be inclined to paint the flares a contrasting color. My Laramie came with factory painted color matching flares. The paint does not tolerate gravel well at all. I am gong to paint them, and the lower rocker panels from the small crease immediately below the Ram door badge down, a gloss black clear coated Linex rock Guard to get better abrasion protection and to add a little break to the massive red.

1673884722310-png.511600

OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would not go matt black against gloss black. I would be inclined to paint the flares a contrasting color. My Laramie came with factory painted color matching flares. The paint does not tolerate gravel well at all. I am gong to paint them, and the lower rocker panels from the small crease immediately below the Ram door badge down, a gloss black clear coated Linex rock Guard to get better abrasion protection and to add a little break to the massive red.

1673884722310-png.png

That's another good point, a painted flare is just another painted surface to try to maintain that's going to take a beating.
The matte black on black rebels works I think because the entire front end is matte black. I think your right that with the giant painted sport bumper the transisition is going to look terrible
But what I have right now doesnt look great either... haha

Cableman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sports definitely look odd with flares against that plastic bumper. If your keeping those wheels imo i wouldn't run flares, too tucked under. Or if you must a very minimal flare but one that extends all the way down the front bumper.

Attachments

• img0087lh.jpg
    img0087lh.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 33
OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sports definitely look odd with flares against that plastic bumper. If your keeping those wheels imo i wouldn't run flares, too tucked under. Or if you must a very minimal flare but one that extends all the way down the front bumper.

Agreed. The previous owner lived in a place that to pass inspection the flares had to have full coverage, so ya I could go with a smaller flare. Wheels are staying for at least 1 more year, and I'll start looking at replacements. They are pretty beat to hell also.
I've seen those full style flares and have considered them as well.

Here's a pic I found from a customer on american trucks that sort of gives me hope maybe black and gloss black can work together, at least i think it looks ok except the flare and the sport bumper issue.

Attachments

• 1547611_DE88F2F4.jpg
    1547611_DE88F2F4.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 54

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I see my old 2009 Ram pix all over the internet

Cableman
This is the first time that i saw someone on here use it :)

The 2009 is parked nearest the garage door
i switched the sign rack & custom nerf bars over to my 2016 Ram

q7wCVK.jpg

Those flares happen to be Bushwackers
they came with 2 different front sections, one for the plastic bumper, 1 for the metal bumper

img0207yo.jpg

Last edited:

Rayzaa

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I thought I explained what I think I would like. I just have trouble visualizing it. I think it would look good, but not sure if I'm delusional.... lol

For the reasons above I'm pretty much committed to keeping flares
Sure but what I mean is you can drive on the road and many will see it and think those look cool and many will think it's cool if it didn't have the flares so I'd do what you like and not worry about it.

One thing is certain. You can't please everybody so please yourself.

Last edited:

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Its like the lady said to the Sailor, who do you think you are going to please with the little thing. His answer; "Myself"!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure but what I mean is you can drive ok on the road and many will see it and think those look cool and many will think it's cool if it didn't have the flares so I'd do what you like and not worry about it.

One thing is certain. You can't please everybody so please yourself.
Thanks for the advice I guess, but the others that have responded to this thread have provided me with useful insight, where as saying "do what you want" is useless because if I was going to do that, I would just do it and not ask... lol. I learn many things that I dont consider in my own limited thoughts by asking these questions.

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
With the painted bumper, I prefer Chrome personally, I think I might consider gloss Linex in flame red, bright brass or copper or bright Vette yellow for the flares. That would give you great contrast and you could then get the new wheels with the spokes color matched to the flares. That to me would look really cool. Would definitely make your truck stand out in the sea of plain black trucks you see everywhere now.

Adamcr68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemifever 5.7
Would like others opinions before I drop some money.
I have a black sport with the 1 piece plastic front bumper. Currently have the riveted bushwacker style flares that have a notch around the corner of the headlight. They are about 8 years old and pretty beat up and am looking to get some new ones soon because 1) they've left marring in the clear coat, 2) I have a rust spot, 3) i like the added protection, 4) it feels naked without them

Now here's what I'm thinking: i dont want the rivet style, i just dont think the look fits what I want to go for. I also am not particularly a big fan of paint to match flares because I feel like it just looks like a cheap add on. So I was thinking I really like the 4th gen rebel flares. They are a matte black that is intentionally different from the paint.
My only concern about those is because the rebel front bumper is designed to go with them, they look good. If you imagine them with a sport bumper I'm thinking it's going to look like trash and end up making it look ghetto.

just wanted to see what others might think, matte black rebel flares on a black sport bumper? Yes or no?

I should probably just look for a rebel or warlock since I love it so much...
I have the bushwhacker with the rivets, forget the name of them but have seen ones similar sized but smooth, if I change mine would probably get them. Cheechdog on 37’s has linex on his flares & bumpers, looks great with his color & I think would be good with most colors

Attachments

• F8F02BB3-01C6-4B17-AA90-57A616E97184.jpeg
    F8F02BB3-01C6-4B17-AA90-57A616E97184.jpeg
    273.8 KB · Views: 25
OP
OP
A_mod_too_far

A_mod_too_far

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
With the painted bumper, I prefer Chrome personally, I think I might consider gloss Linex in flame red, bright brass or copper or bright Vette yellow for the flares. That would give you great contrast and you could then get the new wheels with the spokes color matched to the flares. That to me would look really cool. Would definitely make your truck stand out in the sea of plain black trucks you see everywhere now.

You know I have imagined a black and bronze build with bronze badging and wheels and whatever other miscellaneous highlights, think it would be sick but I dont have the dough or the time to pull something like that off properly

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I personally think a gray or silver would look better with your red. Or even White. Just my opinion.
You do you.

Plainbroke

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks for the advice I guess, but the others that have responded to this thread have provided me with useful insight, where as saying "do what you want" is useless because if I was going to do that, I would just do it and not ask... lol. I learn many things that I dont consider in my own limited thoughts by asking these questions.
Had a Black F150 with matt grey fender flares that looked pretty nice. It was a fairly dark grey Just enough difference to make you notice them but not look out of place. It really is just whatever YOU like not what the masses do to look cool. Scuff one of them with scotch brite pad and repaint one of them, with a matt black and see what you think. You can always rescuff and repaint a different color.

ThunderMug95

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You know I have imagined a black and bronze build with bronze badging and wheels and whatever other miscellaneous highlights, think it would be sick but I dont have the dough or the time to pull something like that off properly
Ive tortured myself on matte black or color matched. Never pulled the trigger on either. Both would look fine on my truck. But my preference would be minimalist, nothing over factory size. Fake rivets/bolts meh…big bulky fat flares not my style.
Unless you have other matte accessories or accents, color match would be my advice. Sports are sleek and predominantly all color matched.
So theres my opinion fwiw.