Few questions about oil catch can install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Just installed an oil catch can on my 2020 Ram. Been driving Rams for 15 years, and this is my first time with this mod. Went with the Billet Technologies one. Install was pretty easy, but left me with a few questions that I was hoping some on here can answer or provide insight:

(1) The instructions called for removal of the PCV hose line, but to keep the rubber elbow that attaches the hose to the PCV and use one of the double male end fitting to connect the hose that came with the catch can. But the video I watched just did away with the rubber elbow that attaches the OEM hose to the PCV, and just attached the catch can hose directly to the PCV. I tried both, and it seems attaching the hose that came with the catch can fit more snuggly on the PCV. The rubber elbow seemed to attach looser. But I ended up just following the directions and sticking with the rubber elbow and double male end fitting. I see no reason for the need for the elbow, but stuck with it because I don't know if there is a reason for it. Just wondering if anybody knows about this.

(2) Attaching the shorter hose from the catch can to the manifold, the video I watched trimmed that hose a bit because it was too long. The hose in the video looked way too long, but the hose that came with mine was just a tad too long, so I did manage to get it to fit, but it does tilt my catch can slightly away from the manifold due to the tension from the slightly long hose. I could crank the catch can bolt harder to get the catch can to stay upright, but didn't want to risk breaking the bolt, so my catch can currently sits very slightly off (not perfectly level). Is it ok if the catch can is slightly off level? Because I can trim the shorter hose to achieve this, but didn't want to mess with it unless it was necessary to make the catch can perfectly level.

Last, just generally curious how often I should check the catch can to dump it.

Thanks for the help.

OP
OP
Lamarsh

Lamarsh

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 1500 Rebel
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Get rid of the elbow,and trim the hose so the can sits level.Draining it will depend alot on your driving style,keep an eye on it,till you figure out how often you need to drain it.

Thanks man. Figured the elbow is useless. In fact, it actually twist the hose that came with my can in a worse way than without it, and fits looser... so I actually think it's better without it.

Mb7640

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I emty mine every 3k miles it's 90 percent full which is crazy. When I had Challengers I did it every oil change and it was maybe 30 percent full. I would check at 3k miles to see if yours is like mine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks man. Figured the elbow is useless. In fact, it actually twist the hose that came with my can in a worse way than without it, and fits looser... so I actually think it's better without it.
I'd check it about every 500 miles for the first couple of times,and keep an eye on the hoses to it,and make sure they aren't collasping,check them when the truck is fully up to temp,and after you've given it a decently hard run. Come winter time you'll want to check the can more often,as you'll get more condensation in it when the temps are colder.In the winter you'll want to check it after the truck has warmed the can up,so it's easier to unscrew the bottom of the can.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
I have one on my 2010 Charger and I cannot remember the install so I guess I'm not much help. I think it's different than the your truck though. I can add this. I think I used a hose clamp or two on one hose. Also I LOVE the BT

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Dang, I forgot the main thing I wanted to say lol! I am fine with emptying mine between oil changes (5k miles). Usually about 1/2" in can so IMO you can have it on a slant no problem.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Ideally you want it to sit level. The farther off from level it sits, the more often you'll need to empty it. You don't want to have all the liquid that collected in the catch can slosh around and get dumped into your intake when you brake hard, accelerate hard, or corner hard.

Frequency of draining it depends on driving style, local weather, and the engine itself. The more blow-by your engine has, the more often you'll need to drain it. Like already mentioned, drain it on a frequent basis at first to get an idea of how often you'll need to drain it. I have a Mishimoto CC, and drain mine at each oil change. It's just over half full at that point. Like also mentioned, add a drain valve to make draining it easier.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Here's mine on my Charger. I forgot, I used hose clamps on my previous Charger but not this one. Hoses are snug. Probably mounts different and uses different hose routing than truck?

Attachments

• 26E3C1F4-30CF-494B-8A6F-733EB396E3E7.jpeg
    26E3C1F4-30CF-494B-8A6F-733EB396E3E7.jpeg
    154.6 KB · Views: 16