Fifth Wheel Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Door jamb says 1800lbs capacity
So your base weight is 8200lbs. 194 lbs more than the chart I used.

Funny thing. I used the 2015 chart first. Then used a 2018 chart and then just saw your 2016 chart. Each one is different bye about 40 pounds.

Then they wonder why so many people get angry at their published numbers not being the real deal.

Thanks for the info and helping with the experiment.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
So your base weight is 8200lbs. 194 lbs more than the chart I used.

Funny thing. I used the 2015 chart first. Then used a 2018 chart and then just saw your 2016 chart. Each one is different bye about 40 pounds.

Then they wonder why so many people get angry at their published numbers not being the real deal.

Thanks for the info and helping with the experiment.

Yeah, it's crazy how quick stuff can add up.

I'm just trying to figure out if being over on the GVWR and payload will be ok. This is a small 5er, at 35' long. I was surprised at the pin weight but it is a Toy Hauler.

Am I being unrealistic here?

I am thinking I would still be under my axles GAWR. Prob closer than I'd prefer to be but the same axle under the 3500 is rated to 7k.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
If you are comfortable exceeding GVWR (I would be) then with my new knowledge of the axles in the Mega Cab you aren't over max capacity...but you are getting close.

Do you plan to not have much payload in the truck?

With 3000lb pin weight and an avg of 150lbs for 5th wheel hitch...you are getting close to axle capacity...which would start to concern me.

I do agree with the fact a 2500 does have extra capacity...but when you start doing the same with a 3500, you realize something has to give to make the numbers more specific.

Look at GVWR before 2013.

8800 up until then. The 5.7 Hemi still maxed out at 9000. Then the Cummins got 10k and then the 6.4l the same 10k.

I just keep thinking something that isn't rated is what keeps the 2500 "limited"

I have been chasing these payload and tow capacity issues for awhile now.

I am comfortable exceeding 10k...but not 11k on my truck. Capacity is 11500.

With the mega having 12500.. I would pass the 10k...but start thinking hard at about 11750

This would also depend on geography, amount of highway miles at speed, and how often.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you are comfortable exceeding GVWR (I would be) then with my new knowledge of the axles in the Mega Cab you aren't over max capacity...but you are getting close.

Do you plan to not have much payload in the truck?

With 3000lb pin weight and an avg of 150lbs for 5th wheel hitch...you are getting close to axle capacity...which would start to concern me.

I do agree with the fact a 2500 does have extra capacity...but when you start doing the same with a 3500, you realize something has to give to make the numbers more specific.

Look at GVWR before 2013.

8800 up until then. The 5.7 Hemi still maxed out at 9000. Then the Cummins got 10k and then the 6.4l the same 10k.

I just keep thinking something that isn't rated is what keeps the 2500 "limited"

I have been chasing these payload and tow capacity issues for awhile now.

I am comfortable exceeding 10k...but not 11k on my truck. Capacity is 11500.

With the mega having 12500.. I would pass the 10k...but start thinking hard at about 11750

This would also depend on geography, amount of highway miles at speed, and how often.

Thanks for the input.

One thing I didn’t mention before is how most of the trailer weight that’s added will be in the garage, which is well after the rear axle. It’s possible it won’t add even as much tongue weight as I am thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
but the same axle under the 3500 is rated to 7k.

Have you verified this? I am pretty sure my 2014 2500 has the same rear axle as the SRW 3500 but from 2016 on I think they have a different part number so they may not be the same. If the axle is the same then the weak link would be your tires. I have 7200# (total between the 2) so if I do have an axle rated at 7000#, in reality I have more breathing room than I had previously thought. I know the numbers and the door sticker are what they are.

You're in the ballpark - taking the trailer to the scales when you first get it will be the big moment of truth.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you verified this? I am pretty sure my 2014 2500 has the same rear axle as the SRW 3500 but from 2016 on I think they have a different part number so they may not be the same. If the axle is the same then the weak link would be your tires. I have 7200# (total between the 2) so if I do have an axle rated at 7000#, in reality I have more breathing room than I had previously thought. I know the numbers and the door sticker are what they are.

You're in the ballpark - taking the trailer to the scales when you first get it will be the big moment of truth.

No. But I’m pretty sure. That’s the same gear ratio and all.
My educated guess is that the extra load the leaf springs carry is why it’s rated up to 7k instead of 6500 lbs. The axle housing itself is most likely good well beyond 7k but they’re not gonna tell you the max number.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2003F350

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah, it's crazy how quick stuff can add up.

I'm just trying to figure out if being over on the GVWR and payload will be ok. This is a small 5er, at 35' long. I was surprised at the pin weight but it is a Toy Hauler.

Am I being unrealistic here?

I am thinking I would still be under my axles GAWR. Prob closer than I'd prefer to be but the same axle under the 3500 is rated to 7k.

Something to remember with a toy hauler - your pin weight is measured EMPTY. Meaning once you load up the back...you actually REDUCE that pin weight a bit - how much depends on how you're loaded and the ratio between the tires and the back, and the tires and the pin.

I used to have a 42' Cyclone that I pulled with my old '04 Powerstroke dually. It pulled it great, but I could tell a difference between the back full of stuff for hitting the trails and the back empty (we used it for regular camping as well as weekends in the woods). The truck sat a good half inch HIGHER hooked up with the garage full of toys.

Now, you're looking at dirt bikes and a shorter trailer, so you're probably not going to reduce your pin weight as much as I did. But it could make all the difference.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Here's a thread that went around on an RV board recently:

http://www.keystoneforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40367&highlight=mtofell

There are always a couple old farts that think they own the place that you have to wade through but there's also some good info (sometimes, I can't resist engaging them). Specific to this topic, someone posts a bunch of part numbers which is why I question if the rear axle on the 2016-present 2500s is a different beast than the 3500 SRW.

michaelrc51

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins

There are always a couple old farts that think they own the place that you have to wade through but there's also some good info (sometimes, I can't resist engaging them). Specific to this topic, someone posts a bunch of part numbers which is why I question if the rear axle on the 2016-present 2500s is a different beast than the 3500 SRW.

Yeah, lol.

I mean, I get it. That's why I bought a 2500 when I realized my 1500 would never to the 30' bumper pull toy hauler I had wanted.
Now, I have fell in love with the idea of a 5er. I was surprised when I looked at the numbers ad realized I am pretty much in the same boat as before.

I keep running the numbers and I think it will be less than I'm thinking, and I was being very realistic with my numbers.

I am still not sure about the diff between the 2 axles.

bartbill

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel

Know what your mean. I challenged some of their comments. Got a couple of real snarky retorts from the onboard weight police - and gave it right back to them . I've been banned

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've been banned

LOL.... I've probably been close. The problem is the main offenders are the moderators. They're like a couple good old boys sitting around a campfire smelling each others farts and asking for more. Any opposing opinion is met with total insults and scorn.... again, these are the moderators. I'm glad I'm not the only one :)