Figuring out what Ram 2500 to buy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

djbucky3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 V8
Hey Guys,

Long ago I was an active member on this forum having a 98 Ram 1500, i switched over to a 99 f250 7.3, but I am ready to come back to the Ram life!

So this brings me to some interesting questions. I am looking at getting a 2019, 2020 or 2021 truck. Obviously I would like to save money (ya right) where I can.

So some of the questions are based on which way is "typically" a cheaper route to go? Option 1: lower trim with "more specific" options. Option 2: Higher trim with more "included options".

In reality the biggest things to me are having tow packages, heated / cooled seats and that big screen.

Any advice is appreciated guys! Im excited about owning a Ram again! Thanks in advance :)

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
It's typically cheaper to get packages or bundle then it is to add individual options. With that said you will end up with stuff you may not want or need as well.

Your problem is going to come with what you want. Big screen and heated/cooled seats might only be available in a higher trim forcing you to buy a Laramie with a lot of other extras etc. Don't know if you can get just those options on a low trim Tradesman for example.

Go on the the Ram site and try building out a couple trucks and see what comes out cheaper for what you want.

Basically you are looking for a couple luxury items in a budget truck. That is going to be a tough find

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yah, the things you "want" are typically only offered on the top models. At your age, you might need to settle for what you can afford. If you're lucky and reach old fart status, you can get the lux mobiles later, if they're still around. I'm sure they will be, because old farts will still be around.

Like mtnrider says, play with the configurator. If you only want one high end option, you MIGHT be able to get that on a lower model. Even though you'd pay more for the single option than you would for it in a bundle of options, not paying for the other options you don't want can be a lot less money overall.

Zoe Saldana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Hey Guys,

Long ago I was an active member on this forum having a 98 Ram 1500, i switched over to a 99 f250 7.3, but I am ready to come back to the Ram life!

So this brings me to some interesting questions. I am looking at getting a 2019, 2020 or 2021 truck. Obviously I would like to save money (ya right) where I can.

So some of the questions are based on which way is "typically" a cheaper route to go? Option 1: lower trim with "more specific" options. Option 2: Higher trim with more "included options".

In reality the biggest things to me are having tow packages, heated / cooled seats and that big screen.

Any advice is appreciated guys! Im excited about owning a Ram again! Thanks in advance :)
If you are ordering a new truck, you usually don't get the incentives. Shop the dealerships near you for the best prices.

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I suggest a loaded up New Tradesman. Be certain to get the Level 2, Chrome, 8.4" radio, tow mirrors, brake controller, aux switches, and Off Road package. All the other goodies can be a fun project. I have added a gooseneck hitch, in-bed 7 way trailer hookup, splash guards, the OEM rear deployable bed step, MBRP catback exhaust system, and have OEM fog lights enroute. It's fun to customize.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I suggest a loaded up New Tradesman. Be certain to get the Level 2, Chrome, 8.4" radio, tow mirrors, brake controller, aux switches, and Off Road package. All the other goodies can be a fun project. I have added a gooseneck hitch, in-bed 7 way trailer hookup, splash guards, the OEM rear deployable bed step, MBRP catback exhaust system, and have OEM fog lights enroute. It's fun to customize.

But can he get heated and cooled seats and the 12" display in a tradesman? That's what he is wanting.

Farm truck

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
No he can't. I guess if that's what he wants, it time to spend 70k.

RAM-pagingMN

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got a loaded Laramie with the options I wanted, Brand new for 55k. It has a Hemi, which is the engine/transmission combo i prefer. Deals are out there, just have to put in the leg work.

OMW2SKI

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Laramie Level 2 should have everything you want - yet cost less than a Limited. Hold out for the 2021 and you'll get the new (old) CP3 fuel pump.

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
I got a loaded Laramie with the options I wanted, Brand new for 55k. It has a Hemi, which is the engine/transmission combo i prefer. Deals are out there, just have to put in the leg work.

I am shopping for one too..54-55K is pretty typical of 2500 laramie 6.4's I have been able to find..am hoping to haggle someone down to 52 or so before I sign on..gotta have leather/nav/ buckets with console and the tow stuff...dont want dsl..black out..or 12" radio upgrade..seems like very few 6.4 laramies.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey Guys,

Yea, the cooled seats are gonna screw you. Have to get at least a Laramie for that.

You can get towing packed, heated seats and 12” screen in a big horn package, but no leather/cooled seats are available in that trim.

cms1528

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
It may have been suggested already but go online to RAM and you can build a RAM model of your choosing, adding packages and fine tuning what you're looking for. Yes as stated already, adding the option you want may only come in a package with other upgrades. If I'm not mistaken heated/cooled seats start at the Laramie trim level and go up from there. Don't hold me to that but I don't think the cooled seats are in the leser models. Just play around with the different models and build it like you want. You'll see the price changing as you go, which gives you an idea if your in your budget range.

NotSoFast

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 liter diesel
You can get heated seats in the Big Horn packages, but not cooled. Level 1 has no navigation, no CD player, no LED lights, no large screen at the steering wheel, no navigation. So if any of those things are meaningful to you, you might have to go with a Big Horn Level 2 or higher.

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
I just got a level 1 Bighorn and I am glad it did not have navigation. I never liked that on my 17. It has Apple play and that navigation is by far better IMO.
No need for a CD player, I have all the music I need on a thumb drive

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
radikio