Filled up with gas, only shows just over 3/4 tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Quick question

I’ve had my truck (2008 Ram 1500 4.7L) for almost a month now and just filled the truck up for the second time.
The first time after I filled up, my gauge showed 7/8 full. I figured it was just because it filled up too quick and figured I’d take my time filling it next time.
Fast forward to today. Filled up again 17.8 gallons, for some reason the gauge only shows just over 3/4 tank full. Tried to fill again just to play it safe, added $0.21 more gas.
Is the likely culprit just a fuel sensor?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi Magnum 5.7
Could be a fuel sensor. I would just give it time to see what it does. Also, are you parking on a hill?

OP
OP
pilotcld

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Have you noticed a strong gas smell? Besides when filling up
Nope. Honestly, not even when filling up. Pretty sure it's the sensor since it said I needed to fill and only filled up 18 gallons. Apparently this year of truck only came with 26 and 34 gallon tanks

Jason G Slabaugh

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Theres a float connected to your fuel pump assembly, that has electrical sensor that sends signal to your gauge, if its bad or has a bad fuel level sensor it'll read incorrect. Not a cheap fix, but you can always gauge your fuel level by your tripometer if you know your mpg

OP
OP
pilotcld

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Theres a float connected to your fuel pump assembly, that has electrical sensor that sends signal to your gauge, if its bad or has a bad fuel level sensor it'll read incorrect. Not a cheap fix, but you can always gauge your fuel level by your tripometer if you know your mpg

That sounds like what I’m gonna be doing. I’m going to reset the trip meter every time and get fuel around 300 miles

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Burninfuel

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
New pump ass'y is about $50 plus drop the tank.
Mine was stuck at 3/4 to full all the time, replaced pump when trans was replaced, New Jasper now, at 296K last week.
Pump was in pieces and guide rods were broken loose and lower pump is to be pressed to bottom in sump well.
It was anywhere is could be and ran out of fuel at 20 gallons in 35 gallon tank

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Agreed. The easiest way to change the fuel float is by removing the bed from the truck. Not easy, but a bad float wouldn't be enough to justify pulling the bed for me. Like above said, you can use your tripometer once you know your truck's mpg. My 4.7 gets about 16mpg in the city and 24mpg on the highway. Those numbers may not be applicable to you though.

OP
OP
pilotcld

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Agreed. The easiest way to change the fuel float is by removing the bed from the truck. Not easy, but a bad float wouldn't be enough to justify pulling the bed for me. Like above said, you can use your tripometer once you know your truck's mpg. My 4.7 gets about 16mpg in the city and 24mpg on the highway. Those numbers may not be applicable to you though.
Holy cow! 24mpg on the highway?? How? What speed are you usually driving at on the highway? I’m currently getting ~15/gallon and it’s mostly highway. Generally not going over 70 (posted limit in Utah)
Also, any easy ways (other than running the truck dry) to find out what size gas tank I have?

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
Holy cow! 24mpg on the highway?? How? What speed are you usually driving at on the highway? I’m currently getting ~15/gallon and it’s mostly highway. Generally not going over 70 (posted limit in Utah)
Also, any easy ways (other than running the truck dry) to find out what size gas tank I have?
For the 1500, your tank is more than likely 26 gallons unless your truck features the extended bed. Then the capacity is 34 gallons. My truck is a 2004 4.7l and my tank is 26 gallons. I get decent fuel mileage because I run the factory tire size on the factory wheels. I spent a little extra too and got the tires that they claim increase gas mileage and reduce highway noise. The climate in my area is reasonable and air density is usually fairly high. Don't know if this increases mpg, but I run only iridium plugs and I change them at most every 20,000 miles. Your engine can be getting poor fuel economy for many reasons - sensors, plugs, injectors, etc. I assumed my fuel economy was normal for these trucks.

OP
OP
pilotcld

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
For the 1500, your tank is more than likely 26 gallons unless your truck features the extended bed. Then the capacity is 34 gallons. My truck is a 2004 4.7l and my tank is 26 gallons. I get decent fuel mileage because I run the factory tire size on the factory wheels. I spent a little extra too and got the tires that they claim increase gas mileage and reduce highway noise. The climate in my area is reasonable and air density is usually fairly high. Don't know if this increases mpg, but I run only iridium plugs and I change them at most every 20,000 miles. Your engine can be getting poor fuel economy for many reasons - sensors, plugs, injectors, etc. I assumed my fuel economy was normal for these trucks.
All very good points. My guess for me is the tires I have on my truck. I got the KO2’s but got them in the size of tire that were on the truck when I bought it. Checked my plugs and they still looked great and cleaned out the K&N box filter that was in there. I’m in Utah, so lower air density (at least it’s not humid as well). I’m going to take my truck into Dodge as well to see if it was chipped by the previous owner to run differently. They had mudding tires on when I bought it. Thanks for the tank size! I have the short/regular bed so I’m gonna bank on 26 gallons. I’ve been fueling it up generally at 15-20 gallons because I get too anxious.

9D9F6397-C39E-4FD9-9E99-559951DE00D9.jpeg

AF75150E-E3FB-4DE6-812D-C64B7E66C4F7.jpeg

Logan Klein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 Magnum
All very good points. My guess for me is the tires I have on my truck. I got the KO2’s but got them in the size of tire that were on the truck when I bought it. Checked my plugs and they still looked great and cleaned out the K&N box filter that was in there. I’m in Utah, so lower air density (at least it’s not humid as well). I’m going to take my truck into Dodge as well to see if it was chipped by the previous owner to run differently. They had mudding tires on when I bought it. Thanks for the tank size! I have the short/regular bed so I’m gonna bank on 26 gallons. I’ve been fueling it up generally at 15-20 gallons because I get too anxious.

View attachment 165519

View attachment 165520
Are you getting your fuel mileage calculations from the truck's onboard computer or your own calculations at the gas pump? The computer on your truck may be inaccurate because the truck was most likely used to having mudders on it when you bought it, so the computer assumes lower numbers. I believe the computer in the truck assumes fuel economy by engine speed relative to the speed at which the vehicle is moving. Next time you go to the gas pump, fill it up completely and reset your trip meter while refueling. When it's time to refuel again, divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons of fuel added to the tank. This will give you a fairly accurate average fuel economy number.

OP
OP
pilotcld

pilotcld

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L
Are you getting your fuel mileage calculations from the truck's onboard computer or your own calculations at the gas pump? The computer on your truck may be inaccurate because the truck was most likely used to having mudders on it when you bought it, so the computer assumes lower numbers. I believe the computer in the truck assumes fuel economy by engine speed relative to the speed at which the vehicle is moving. Next time you go to the gas pump, fill it up completely and reset your trip meter while refueling. When it's time to refuel again, divide the number of miles driven by the number of gallons of fuel added to the tank. This will give you a fairly accurate average fuel economy number.
I’ve been keeping my own calculations every time I fill up. The only calculations my truck can make is the trip meter I think. I haven’t delved much further into it than that. That’s why I’m thinking that the truck may have been chipped thought because the sticker on the door calls for 265/70R17 and I have on 285/70R17. Not sure if that would mess with the fuel too much.