Film on inside of windshield

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘18 1500 gets a film on the inside of the windshield unless I clean it every day. Even then it’s a pain in the rear to get it off, damn near impossible. Any idea what it may be from and an easier cleaning solution than my normal glass cleaner and paper towels?

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
My ‘18 1500 gets a film on the inside of the windshield unless I clean it every day. Even then it’s a pain in the rear to get it off, damn near impossible. Any idea what it may be from and an easier cleaning solution than my normal glass cleaner and paper towels?
Typically it is from the coolant/defrost system. In older vehicles it indicated a small leak somewhere. I have used Rain-X anti-fog solution before and it helped but I would look at your coolant system to make sure you are not losing any.

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Typically it is from the coolant/defrost system. In older vehicles it indicated a small leak somewhere. I have used Rain-X anti-fog solution before and it helped but I would look at your coolant system to make sure you are not losing any.
Thanks, I thought that was an issue so went looking for leaks and cannot find any. It’s worse in the summer when using the a/c so I had it checked without issue.

CheechDogg.0n37s

@CheechDogg.0n37s
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
It can also be something you used to clean your dashboard with, with the heat it evaporates and creates that film on the windshield, that is why I only clean the inside of the windshields and dashboards with an IPA mix of 80% water 20% alcohol ...

You can also have your windshield tinted very lightly and that will also help prevent it ...

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
It's probably the UV stabilizers leaching from the plastic. A dash protector of some kind that will keep sunlight off it is probably the only thing that will work.

I sent an email to Weathertech last year saying they needed to expand into the dash cover market.

1970Pelle

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
90 W150,ShortBed/87 Ramcharger 2WD project
Engine
W150 318,4bbl,auto4x4 VGC/ 87 Ramcharger 318/904 VGC
Its from the plastic parts inside your vehicle. It emits a vapor that lands on the inside glass.
The way to clean your inside glass is alcohol. Just your everyday liquid alcohol you pick up at the drug store or Walmart. Even alcohol wipes work great. Thats what I use, take a couple at a time and clean every square inch of glass. Don't be shy with it. Let it dry, and clean with a good glass cleaner.
I use a aerosol glass cleaner over the pump bottle type.

18CrewDually

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 H.O.
Other people touched on it but it's from the plastic parts releasing gases. It is called Off Gassing.

OP
OP
IDSandman

IDSandman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys!! Figured it was from off gassing of the plastic, just never had a truck do it this bad, esp since I run a windshield sun shade. I’ll get busy with the alcohol tonight.
I do not vape or smoke or allow either in my truck.

Downzero

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
A good way to clean the windshield is to use a magic eraser with just water. Do it several times. Works great. YouTube how to super clean your windshield.