Film on inside of windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The windshield sunshades will cause the film also. That, combined with the dash and door panels leaching, you can get a good film, especially on these trucks with the steep rake of the windshield hanging right over everything.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘18 1500 gets a film on the inside of the windshield unless I clean it every day. Even then it’s a pain in the rear to get it off, damn near impossible. Any idea what it may be from and an easier cleaning solution than my normal glass cleaner and paper towels?
It's normal off-gassing of the petroleum based oils in the plastic. I've resorted to using vinegar on a soft cloth to begin, then go to a specific brand of glass cleaner (Sprayway... available at my O'Reilly's. Afterward, I'll use previous Sunday newspaper to polish it. I can't stand white glare on my glass. I'll clean my outside surface with the 2 afore mentioned products, but do use Comet or BonAmi after the vinegar, then follow up with #0000 (4aught) steel wool to really deep clean the outside surface. The Sprayway is the last thing I do in both instances. It all has to be repeated, given how badly plastic off gasses here in hot, subtropical Houston.

JosephPukala

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys!! Figured it was from off gassing of the plastic, just never had a truck do it this bad, esp since I run a windshield sun shade. I’ll get busy with the alcohol tonight.
I do not vape or smoke or allow either in my truck.
That's awful! Imagine what is coated on our lungs from breathing that crap!

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Try a dash mat , they are a molded carpet type material . Also protect dash from the sun .

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just bought a Covercraft molded dash pad to help control the film and sun glare in the Ram. I put one on our Edge to cut down glare and help control film on it. Did wonders in both departments.

Hope for the same results in the Ram. I can tell a difference in glare with the black pad instead of the gray dash.

paramedic2001

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My ‘18 1500 gets a film on the inside of the windshield unless I clean it every day. Even then it’s a pain in the rear to get it off, damn near impossible. Any idea what it may be from and an easier cleaning solution than my normal glass cleaner and paper towels?
Clean it with rubbing alcohol. It’s from the plastic degassing. Leaves a residue.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
While initial post is older, one new thing has cropped up in my reading that can be a contributor. It seems certain areas where whiskey distilling occurs, if enough of a volume, can contribute large amounts of contaminates into the surrounding area. See the recent lawsuit against Jack Daniel's. The point is that driving through an area where some type of business expels solutions into the air can impact surfaces.

Yardbird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Update from previous post. I installed the Covercraft dash pad in early December, and it has helped a lot with the windshield film. I haven't cleaned the inside windshield since.

Dash Pad 2.jpg

Jwithing

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
While initial post is older, one new thing has cropped up in my reading that can be a contributor. It seems certain areas where whiskey distilling occurs, if enough of a volume, can contribute large amounts of contaminates into the surrounding area. See the recent lawsuit against Jack Daniel's. The point is that driving through an area where some type of business expels solutions into the air can impact surfaces.
I just read an article on this the other day. Black whiskey fungus... crazy

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Mine does this. I use this. Best glass cleaner out there. Dash failure is the cause. I cleaned it really well with Koch Chemie ASC then I dressed it with Meguiars M40. I then cleaned it with Koch Chemie GC and it hasn't done it since.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 11.14.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-04-21 at 11.14.06 AM.png
    346 KB · Views: 7

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
My dash matt is at least 12 years old

img0945k.jpg

I have not read the ingredients on this glass product, but it works great on my eye glasses, bathroom mirror & Rams windows
My eye Doctor uses it too

It is made by **** & Span

644dc086-dc89-cfc1-2569-a6ff2fe6bc0a.jpg
Find it at Kroger or Ralphs or Smart & Final, maybe Walmart

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I just use windex and newspaper to clean dry it - works 100 percent better than papertowels and is the ultimate in recycling.
I haven't had luck with most other generic windshield cleaners.

This is all we used back in the day when I detailed cars at the dealership while I was in school.

smittyd174

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
If it's really driving you crazy , check out Genos . They only sell Ram stuff and they have a dash mat that would solve the issue .