Film on windshield

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
I purchased my 2011 Ram 1500 Crew cab in late June. I noticed on the drive home from the dealership that there was a film on the windshield. I tried to clean it using glass cleaner to no avail. It seems to be on both the interior as well as the exterior, and with the Florida sun, it makes it almost impossible to see and with our rainy season I can't get the water off the windshield.

Does anyone have a solution to get this film off? I think it might be a spray wax of sorts.

Thanks in advance,
Ranger

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Did the dealer do something different than normal? Have you had this happen before?
I usually have to clean the outside and inside of the windshields on all our vehicles once a year to remove film that builds up. It's my understanding the inside film comes from the plastic dash, cleaners, etc. I have noticed that spray waxes add to the outside film.
The cleaning takes liberal amounts of window cleaner (spray it directly on the cloth for the inside), followed by immediately rubbing with a clean towel/cloth to dry and remove the film. Sometimes it takes more than one application. Lots of elbow grease.

Mike R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Clay bar outside with bar and water and then use your window cleaner. Inside try Mr. Clean magic eraser followed by window cleaner. Cover dash before using magic eraser with towel or something. Saw a post about cleaning outside with cleaner using up and down motion and inside using side to side. That way you can tell which side, in-or outside needs to be touched up.

OP
OP
RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
Did the dealer do something different than normal? Have you had this happen before?
I usually have to clean the outside and inside of the windshields on all our vehicles once a year to remove film that builds up. It's my understanding the inside film comes from the plastic dash, cleaners, etc. I have noticed that spray waxes add to the outside film.
The cleaning takes liberal amounts of window cleaner (spray it directly on the cloth for the inside), followed by immediately rubbing with a clean towel/cloth to dry and remove the film. Sometimes it takes more than one application. Lots of elbow grease.
I have no clue what they used. It was a used automotive dealership that had applied products to almost every surface to make them shine. I have managed to get the film off the side windows using a lot of elbow grease and rubbing alcohol.

Ram 1970

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Try: Windex (with Vinegar). It's on the Family Dollar shelf like that. It does stink a little, but it sure cuts oils and films real good. I bought some for cleaning my bowling balls. Gets them back to being super tacky..

windex-all-purpose-cleaners-312620-64_1000.jpg

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Do an internet search and you will find all kinds of possible suggestions. Borax, Cornstarch, Vinegar & Water. I bought a product called Perfect Glass the last time I needed something and it has worked for me. Still takes elbow grease as I noted in my first post.

red pulling

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Wax it like paint. It takes film off. works on equipment that comes from overseas, and is easy.

OP
OP
RangerWeaver

RangerWeaver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V8 4.7L
I ended up getting the film off with a lot of elbow grease, rubbing alcohol, vinegar, and newspaper. Then I replaced the wiper blades, drained the washer fluid tank, and refilled it with fresh fluid.

Ziggy2

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I use this stuff on the outside of my windshields every 6 months when I wax the vehicle. More often if it's kept outside. Works great! I'm a big fan of their products and use their Z-2 wax, car wash soap and tire shine as well.
https://www.zainostore.com/product/Z-12.html