Final checklist before my first tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Turbo Brian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have an 11 1500 Sport QC, 5.7, 5spd, 3.55. New-to-me vehicle. will be towing a 3700# car (the GN in my sig) on a uhaul flatbed from KC to OKC and back.

So far, ive done the following:

• Curt Class 4 receiver
  • Curt Hitch and Ball (appears to be exactly the same as the one uhaul would sell me)
  • Checked uhaul to verify they allow my truck to pull my car
  • Factory 4 pin on the bumper should work with uhaul trailer lights
  • Use tow/haul mode

Last thing ive thought of is tires on the truck. It has factory Goodyear Wrangler SRA's. IIRC, door jamb sticker says 35PSI. should i run a little more in the rear with the trailer?

anything else im forgetting? this is a once a year trip not something ill be doing regularly. also, first time towing. ive had my car towed by others in the past (2500 chevy and a 1500 chevy) but i wasnt driving, just a passenger. aside from going under the speedlimit (posted 75 most of the way down I35) it didnt seem like it was much trouble for them. i hope i experience the same.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
Your good just air up the tires to max psi being 35 or what ever the tire is rated for and call it a day ( I wouldn't over Inflate them). 3800lbs plus probably 2000 on the uhaul trailer total of almost 6 is just fine. No need to worry just leave you self some extra stopping distance. The uhaul trailer should have surge brakes on them so no electric brake controlor needed. the only thing you probably should check is how you load the GN make sure it's over the axles you want your truck to sit level or slightly raked in the back, nose high is bad. Lastly check your straps down the road a bit and check them at every gas station.

dsent

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab Laramie
Engine
6.7 cummins diesel
Turbo Brian

I agree with 14hemiexpress for the most part.

I'll add it is not necessary to pull the car all the way to the front of the trailer, by positioning it properly it will/can take some weight of the rear of the truck. You want to be certain that you want to leave/have some weight on the tongue so the trailer does not wag the truck. You will know with in a few miles if you have it positioned properly.

Trailer wagging can quickly accumulate to a dangerous situation leaving you with white knuckles and stained underwear.

Try towing local some to check your setup before you jump on the interstate for your trip.

Make sure to cross the tow safety chains from the trailer where the hook to your truck,this is important in case for some unknown reason the trailer hitch would come off of the ball the chains catch the tongue in the X created by crossing the chains.

If you were stopped by police or dmv this could get you a ticket if chains are not crossed as it is a safety item.

The last thing I could add, sometimes you just cannot get what is on your trailer positioned properly that the trailer does not wag the tow vehicle, I have backed the vehicle on to the trailer so that the weight of the motor and trans is over the dual axle of the trailer and find position on the trailer that balances the load.

Lastly if you have your car all loaded and are on the highway and not comfortable with how it is being towed, exit the highway,rest area or such and make adjustments.

It will make the trip more safe and enjoyable.

Guys and there toys haha.

OP
OP
T

Turbo Brian

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
figured i'd follow up and say that my first towing experience this past weekend was great. the towing part was at least. getting my car on the trailer was not. low ground clearance was an issue. had to jack the tongue a bit and use a couple 2x8's stacked under the ramps. then i had trouble getting the drag radials up the wet (it was raining) and slippery ramps. kept spinning on me.

anyways, the truck did awesome. there was no issues with the trailer pushing me around. truck sat level. plenty of power. drove from KC to OKC in the rain part of the way and it was all good. even got better mileage than i thought. KC to just south of wichita was 13.4mpg calculated. Cruise was set at 69mph the whole way . that included some good climbs in the flint hills. only hiccup was a dash warning that my left rear signal was out on the drive home. that was an easy fix and i liked that the dash info center told me exactly which one was out.

Andy578

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Outdoorsman
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Last thing ive thought of is tires on the truck. It has factory Goodyear Wrangler SRA's. IIRC, door jamb sticker says 35PSI. should i run a little more in the rear with the trailer?

SRA should be 44 psi max. you're load isn't crazy heavy so i'd just air up to 40psi.

14hemiexpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4l
We always carried the ramps that you would pull the front of a car on to change the oil, and we would put them under the rear tires of the truck and pull it up on there to raise the tounge of the trailer up to get a better angle for low ground clearance. It helps a lot.