Finally - an answer to the lack of 2017 1500 SLT models!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

...what's this bolt do? *plink* ...oh.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
My 14 was a rental fleet, it was a bighorn quad cab 4x4 hemi.

That truck had lotsa door dings that I did not realize till I saw the truck in the daylight the next day. I bought it at night.

The trucks speedo had a huuge gash and the leather steering wheel showed heavy use - back side you can feel the leather deteriorate and destitch with like 20k miles on it - feels like what a 10+ year old lexus steering wheel feels like.

The interior was ok but the rear door panels were all scratched and beatup.

The first time I washed it, there was a dent on top of the cab, nothing major but a good 1x1" dent. Same thing installing running boards, that truck had some slight damage on the frame rails from going off road or hitting something. Nothing you can see unless you crawled under the truck and see this painted spot kinda crushed up.

Super confusing because bighorns at the time shoulda had the bigger 7" screen and heated seats which I did not have.

Also researching the vin showed the original purchaser and I knew that prior to buying it, just did not have the time to look it over 100% in the dark for scratches and door dings etc.

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
My 14 was a rental fleet, it was a bighorn quad cab 4x4 hemi.

That truck had lotsa door dings that I did not realize till I saw the truck in the daylight the next day. I bought it at night.

The trucks speedo had a huuge gash and the leather steering wheel showed heavy use - back side you can feel the leather deteriorate and destitch with like 20k miles on it - feels like what a 10+ year old lexus steering wheel feels like.

The interior was ok but the rear door panels were all scratched and beatup.

The first time I washed it, there was a dent on top of the cab, nothing major but a good 1x1" dent. Same thing installing running boards, that truck had some slight damage on the frame rails from going off road or hitting something. Nothing you can see unless you crawled under the truck and see this painted spot kinda crushed up.

Super confusing because bighorns at the time shoulda had the bigger 7" screen and heated seats which I did not have.

Also researching the vin showed the original purchaser and I knew that prior to buying it, just did not have the time to look it over 100% in the dark for scratches and door dings etc.

Dang.... I bought mine at noon, and I went over it nose-to-tail, even crawling under it to check for corrosion and any damage (old habit from my days of buying Jeeps and checking the rear main transfer case seal, which almost always leaked.)

Did you at least try and see what the dealer would do? (most likely way too late, but worth a shot...)

FXCLM5

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie CC
Engine
ED 3.0 V6
Yea the dealer was 2hrs away. I called in and had a set trade in value for my 05 frontier. 3pm left got there 5ish, drove out 7ish or later.

I traded the truck in earlier this year for a 17 and 2 dealers didn't notice what I pointed out earlier and gave me good low bluebook like 500 from what I wanted

TA462

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
In Canada the SLT was a separate model. My 2018 brochure has ST, SXT, SLT, Outdoorsman, Harvest Edition, Big Horn, Sport, Rebel, Laramie, Laramie Longhorn, Longhorn Special Edition, Laramie Limited and finally Limited Tungsten Edition.

tbird71

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ram1.JPG ram2.jpg
ram1.JPG
The first Ram I drove was a rental from Enterprise and it was...a 2014 SLT 4X4 4 Dr with the 8 spd rotary shift, actually ALL their Ram rentals were SLT 4X4 4 Drs.

Saved a few pictures here they are

When I got into the market I DID find some leftover 2013 and 2014 SLTs (this was in 2015) but they were not as heavily discounted as Express and Tradesmans. (sticker on a 2013 4x2 SLT base reg cab was anywhere from 30500 to 34000) and sell price was 25-27000 on one, so I kept looking. SLT was a nice package with the chrome bumpers and grilles, my rental had 17" Alumunum wheels and no hitch.

Last edited:

armallard

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT CC 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I just bought a 2017 from a local dealer a week ago today with 28,000 miles slt 4x4 with no back up cam with a sliding glass w/o a hitch with 20" tires and aluminum rims the mystery is I have a jack but no tools to use it or get my spare down so I've got to find the tools w for it mine was licensed to a veteran organization up north I think. I've only got the 26 gallon tank according to the service dept. I spoke to this morning with all the up dates already done? I have the 5.7 Hemi in mine.

yourfloormat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 TRX4
Engine
Do you mean SLT's that aren't Big Horns/...? My 2015 build sheet indicates "Vehicle Description" as "2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4". It is a Big Horn model.
SLT was a trim level, Big Horn is a options package. Same with Laramie etc. You can have any trim level and then add Big Horn etc to it.

yourfloormat

Reaction score
Ram Year
2009 TRX4
Engine
Maybe someone here can answer a question about mine. I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab that is a SLT with added TRX4 off road package. Now numerous times with doing work on it have been confronted with parts that are suppose to fit my truck but dont. Even down to the battery. The size group that all the computers say suppose to fit my truck, dont. The posts are on wrong side. Headers suppose to fit my truck dont, had to research the heck out of those to find some to fit. The list goes on. Why would such a common model have a quirky one thats a little different than rest

MajMike

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Do you mean SLT's that aren't Big Horns/...? My 2015 build sheet indicates "Vehicle Description" as "2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4X4". It is a Big Horn model.

Same here, except mine is a Lone Star, described as a 2016 Ram 1500 SLT 4x4.

OP
OP
Random_Walk

Random_Walk

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 QC 4WD SLT
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
Maybe someone here can answer a question about mine. I have a 2009 Ram 1500 Crew Cab that is a SLT with added TRX4 off road package. Now numerous times with doing work on it have been confronted with parts that are suppose to fit my truck but dont. Even down to the battery. The size group that all the computers say suppose to fit my truck, dont. The posts are on wrong side. Headers suppose to fit my truck dont, had to research the heck out of those to find some to fit. The list goes on. Why would such a common model have a quirky one thats a little different than rest

If I remember right the 2009's are the first model year for the 4th-Gen series, and if yours was among the very first batches that came off the line, odds are ugly-perfect that your truck has a lot of the initial designs that have been modified all the way through the first year of production...

What I mean is, they made your truck, then someone in design went 'oh ****, we need to change something!', so they did a revision, then later on another one, then later on another, etc. By the time they hit the mid-year point, it's likely that they revised things to the point where a lot of stuff that says it fits the 2009 model year... likely doesn't.

Trucks made towards the end of 4th-Gen are less likely to have this, since the changes from year-to-year are pretty slight as time went on, and nowhere near as abrupt or groundbreaking as the 2008-2009 model year changes were.

JPT

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn
Engine
5.7 Hemi
SLT was a trim level, Big Horn is a options package. Same with Laramie etc. You can have any trim level and then add Big Horn etc to it.

Yeah, that is why I was asking if they meant SLTs without the Big Horn, Laramie, etc. It turns out that is what they meant.

BiGMERF

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 SLT 4x4
Engine
v6
same here.. 17 v6 4x4 slt.. build sheet also says enterprise... bought mines from a ram dealer in May of last year, with 8k miles.. she now has 15k miles, now looks nothing like an SLT and is running like a champ... lol

iplax13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 V 6
That's three of us so far... how close to the Wikipedia description (first post) is your particular truck? So far, two of us have everything they described except that neither of us have the backup camera.
Mine is as described, with no back up camera. Has the quad cab, trailer plugs, and sliding glass, with no backup camera as well (2017 slt)