Finally decided to level the front of my truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That size is the factory size for 20’s. At least for mine it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My stock size was 275/55/20

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, factory size for 4th gens with 20’s is 275/60/20 (33’s). They switched to a 55 series with the 5th gens.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yes, factory size for 4th gens with 20’s is 275/60/20 (33’s). They switched to a 55 series with the 5th gens.

I wonder why. Those 55’s are an inch shorter.

olyelr

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I wonder why. Those 55’s are an inch shorter.

yea i have always wondered the same thing. Pretty sure the 5th gen wheel well openings are a bit smaller though.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I know. It strikes me as odd. The standard 20" tire is still 275/60-20, but if you want all terrains or add the off road package you get the 55s. I know when I think off road package the first thing I want is smaller tires, but I was dropped on my head a few times.

Last edited:
OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, how’s it look folks? It has been sitting over night so I guess the front settled a little bit but it’s currently at 37-1/2 in the front from ground to bottom of fender flare and 38-1/4 in the rear. Just checked my pressures at 48° this morning and aired up to 39 psi all the way around.
a7645ce8cebf2650db89e5cb23d55f93.jpg
7f96b37baa177803697d5010f9ad470a.jpg

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
Looks good. Real question is how does it ride.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks good. Real question is how does it ride.

Rides great, as a matter of fact. Really can’t even tell any difference. I mean, it may be a little stiffer but to be honest, it really felt too soft up front all these years of having the truck....

Reactions: BWL

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What length (center to center) did you end up with?

Mine were 2.50".

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What length (center to center) did you end up with?

Mine were 2.50".

I think it was like 3-1/4 inches? I ended up having to make the passenger side about 6 turns longer to make it so the front was the same height.

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I think it was like 3-1/4 inches? I ended up having to make the passenger side about 6 turns longer to make it so the front was the same height.

My OEM links were only 3.0" long. Must be the difference in generations?

I also had two different heights. Passenger link is 2.625. Driver is 2.50.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the load? Gas tank? Or maybe the air system does not do equal height consistently?

Oh well it is not an exact science and the heights change randomly. Bottom line is it goes straight down the road and feels good so I'm not going to overthink it.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It must be the generation change, I guess. Which, would make sense because I did see a leveling kit from somebody for the new 5th gens that actually replaces the mounting bracket for the front and I’m assuming the rear sensors. They didn’t make it for the older ones like mine.

But yeah, my stock front leveling links are right at between 4-1/16 and 4-1/8 on an inch (whatever the 32nd of an inch or 64th of an inch that is) from center to center. I don’t know about the rear ones since I’m only interested in just leveling the front for a cleaner look but my final length on my new links is 3-7/8” on the right front and 3-11/16” on the left.

I just ran to the store for some stuff but when I got back, while the engine was running, I took my measurements and they were exactly 37-3/4 in the front and 38-1/2 in the back so I ended up taking my links off and turning them in three turns which is roughly a 1/4 of an inch so hopefully they’ll be right where I want them of about a half inch lower in the front from the rear. Before, it was 3/4” of inch lower in the front.

Last edited:

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took a couple 500 mile trips. The ride deteriorated too much. I could have lived with it but my smooth ride is more important than the level look. Decided to go back to stock - the good news is the bigger tires (275/60/20) don't rub. I will just need to live with the rake.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Took a couple 500 mile trips. The ride deteriorated too much. I could have lived with it but my smooth ride is more important than the level look. Decided to go back to stock - the good news is the bigger tires (275/60/20) don't rub. I will just need to live with the rake.

Hmm. You musta raised your front end a lot higher than I did because so far, I like the little bit firmer ride up front than before but then again, my front end before always felt too spongy and even more so when aero-mode kicked on.

But how high from stock did you raise yours? If I’m not mistaken, my difference was only about an inch, inch and quarter lower than the back and now, it’s only roughly a half inch difference.

Sportznut

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hmm. You musta raised your front end a lot higher than I did because so far, I like the little bit firmer ride up front than before but then again, my front end before always felt too spongy and even more so when aero-mode kicked on.

But how high from stock did you raise yours? If I’m not mistaken, my difference was only about an inch, inch and quarter lower than the back and now, it’s only roughly a half inch difference.

In the end I only raised it about 3/4".

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I also agree I like the feel of my air suspension better with the level links on it. Made it slightly stiffer in a good way, like sportier but still quite comfortable feeling.

OP
OP
corneileous

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I also agree I like the feel of my air suspension better with the level links on it. Made it slightly stiffer in a good way, like sportier but still quite comfortable feeling.

That’s odd, I figured yours would be a whole lot stiffer-riding being leveled via more air pressure in the front bags being that since you have the Rebel, your suspension should already be stiffer than mine because of that extra inch of ground clearance on your truck that was achieved essentially by locking your normal ride height into what my truck calls off-road 1 mode but hey, if you’re happy with your ride quality then that’s all that matters…..[emoji41]

blackbeautyhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
That’s odd, I figured yours would be a whole lot stiffer-riding being leveled via more air pressure in the front bags being that since you have the Rebel, your suspension should already be stiffer than mine because of that extra inch of ground clearance on your truck that was achieved essentially by locking your normal ride height into what my truck calls off-road 1 mode but hey, if you’re happy with your ride quality then that’s all that matters…..[emoji41]

It was only slightly more noticeable at first but I knocked a few psi out of my tires which were over inflated anyway via the chalk test and it feels great. Not as much body roll but still a comfortable ride. Especially when it goes into aero mode on the Highway.