FINALLY figured out best way to get oil filter changed on 18 Cummins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lobsterbake

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins Turbo Diesel 6.7
I changed my 18 Cummins RAM oil today and feel like I finally figured out how to do the oil filter and not have it take so long going forward. I wanted to share for all of you that haven't done yet or found a way to do easily. I do it through the wheel well and put a line on each side of the filter on the pipe for a general guideline where it goes as shown in the pic. The lines look more accurate in person but help me get it approximately where it does. I have the filter approximately 3/4 of an inch off the back wall and then lean it slightly toward the back wall/engine. I used to lift straight up and had a heck of a time getting the filter to spin on - when I did it the way I just describe it went on easily. If I was still having trouble then I was going to have someone looking down through the hood and telling me where to line it up, but luckily this seemed to work well at least this time lol. Hope this helps!

Mark

Attachments

• IMG_5455.jpeg
    IMG_5455.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 40

dash4cash

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2021
Engine
cummins
Ive changed my oil all my life, so on my 17 cummins, it was a first...Dang did I make a mess! My first thought, why so difficult? I youtubed it and became wiser for next time. Going from an 02 cummins to a 2017 makes me appreciate them younger years

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If you don't have a filter cap off tool, you change the filter without spilling oil.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I changed my 18 Cummins RAM oil today and feel like I finally figured out how to do the oil filter and not have it take so long going forward. I wanted to share for all of you that haven't done yet or found a way to do easily. I do it through the wheel well and put a line on each side of the filter on the pipe for a general guideline where it goes as shown in the pic. The lines look more accurate in person but help me get it approximately where it does. I have the filter approximately 3/4 of an inch off the back wall and then lean it slightly toward the back wall/engine. I used to lift straight up and had a heck of a time getting the filter to spin on - when I did it the way I just describe it went on easily. If I was still having trouble then I was going to have someone looking down through the hood and telling me where to line it up, but luckily this seemed to work well at least this time lol. Hope this helps!

Mark
Thanks, looks like it's worth a shot. I've only done 2 oil changes on my Ram Cummins so far. First one, filter was no issue to spin on. 2nd time it fought me pretty hard. Ended up removing the front tire to be able to see better, and that helped a lot. Figured that was just going to be my method going forward, but will give this a try next time.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Plug is the way to go. Easy to do through the fender well. With the fumoto drain plug, takes longer for the oil to finish draining than anything else. 1/2 hour and a couple beers does the trick.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
The plug is a nice thing to have. I got a Lisle brand one. Lots of choices out there for them.

dputnam01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Turbo Diesel
II use an oil filter plus and am able to avoid the mess. I bought a Fumoto drain plug, but have not installed it yet. Am I missing out?

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Fumoto valve or something similar is pretty nice to have on an engine that holds as much oil as a Cummins diesel. I drain it straight into old oil jugs that way. No messing with oil pans.

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Yep, a filter cap with a grocery bag underneath = no mess. I also have a Fumoto valve that makes draining a breeze. Easy peesy.

Moose2

Military
Reaction score
Ooooooooorrrrrrr, you could watch someone else do it for you!;)

Fuel35 67

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I use a long extension with a proper fitting oil filter socket and just ease it on down. I do need to get one of those valves and I like the idea of filling the jugs instead of my oil container.

ViewmasterMik

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
Hey guys, new here, so forgive if this has been covered. Re: the Fimoto valve, is the valve clip necessary? Seems like it could get hot and melt/get brittle and break away, etc., over time. Also, is the plug the way to go, and get a nipple to drain into oil jugs? Is the nipple a standard size that I could buy at hardware/auto part store? Thanks

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Hey guys, new here, so forgive if this has been covered. Re: the Fimoto valve, is the valve clip necessary? Seems like it could get hot and melt/get brittle and break away, etc., over time. Also, is the plug the way to go, and get a nipple to drain into oil jugs? Is the nipple a standard size that I could buy at hardware/auto part store? Thanks
You would order the one with the nipple. You can't add it afterwards. Then you just attach a short hose to it when draining.

Is the clip required? No. It's just insurance. I always use some kind of clip.

On my Ram Cummins, I didn't like the Fumoto valve since the drain plug sticks straight down. Looked like it was too much in harms way. So the next oil change, I went with a Femco Compact drain plug and drain hose. I like Fumoto valves and it probably would have been fine, but just feel better about the Femco in this application. The Fumoto valve is kicking around on my workbench somewhere.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I guess you guys like your gadgets. I changed my oil without using the overpriced Fumoto valve or a filter cap and there was ZERO mess.
The simpler the better.

jejb

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I guess you guys like your gadgets. I changed my oil without using the overpriced Fumoto valve or a filter cap and there was ZERO mess.
The simpler the better.
I like simple. That's why I use the valve. Drain off a gallon at a time straight into containers that I take to be recycled. No mess, no cleaning oil pans, no pouring from an oil pan into jugs, simple. This simple system really pays off on our diesel pusher RV. That Cummins holds 23 quarts. But it's still very handy on the "little" Cummins in my Ram too.

I'm glad you're happy with your system though. Whatever works!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddo