Finally got my 4.88's installed!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mountaineer83

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Same here. I'd love the new 8 speed, but my wife gets the next new vehicle And she isn't looking to trade for quite some time.

So, I'm saving up to regear to 4.88s, and I cant wait!

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
A lot of it as mentioned has to do with marketing and sales. If they introduce a new model with evrything on it and it never changes, then they sell X number and then sales level off or start to decline. When that happens they have go to items they introduce to get people to buy a newer model. Many of us on here will regear, supercharge, tune, etc. to make our trucks what we want However, the vast majority of buyers would rather just trade on a newer model to get the "newest goodies".

With that said, the new 8 speed with the same 3.73 and 4.10 will be way better than the 66RFE. Therefore, most people will go buy that new truck instead of adding gears. Its marketing. They care about sales more than anything. And as I said, we here on the forum are a small sample of truck buyers in the world.

It will be better but in the end the final drive gear ratio will be basically the same. Resulting in 8th gear lugging all the time.

8 speeds will still benefit from re-gearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had an off road shop do it. Dealer would have been a thousand dollar more, easy. And I couldn’t do 4.88’s, would have had to have been 4.56’s or 5.13’s.

Being in the Dallas area, the specialty shops are everywhere...easily 40-50 shops that do gear swaps within a 50 mile radius.
Can you PM the shop? And did you purchase the gears there?

OP
OP
RAM_Designs

RAM_Designs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Can you PM the shop? And did you purchase the gears there?
Lone Star Offroad in Lewisville, right by where 121 and 121 business merge. His Yukon supplier runs a shop right around the corner and they actually did the install since Lone Star was backed up with work. I wanted it done asap so we had them do it instead.

Talk to Gary, he's a good dude.

BTD07

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Lone Star Offroad in Lewisville, right by where 121 and 121 business merge. His Yukon supplier runs a shop right around the corner and they actually did the install since Lone Star was backed up with work. I wanted it done asap so we had them do it instead.

Talk to Gary, he's a good dude.
perfect ill keep them in mind