Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finally weighed my trailer.

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by Loudram, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Loudram

Loudram Senior Member Military

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    Yep, I'm maxed out on payload but I knew I'd be close with a 1500. I'll just watch what I put in my bed. As for my tongue, I'll move what I can but it won't be much. Honestly I'm not to worried about it, I'll just keep it in mind when I load the trailer.

The scary thing is there is only a small percentage of us towing trailers that actually know our real numbers or care about them.

392DevilDog and GsRAM like this.
  2. Loudram

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    They are included. The only thing not included is the battery. Empty propane tanks are usually included to. But my trailer weight isn't an issue. I'm no where near my max tow.

3. GsRAM

GsRAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi, 6.4L
    Yep, exactly. That's the issue. Most half ton trucks will run out of payload long before they hit their tow rating. But if you stay below GRAWR you should be ok

Loudram likes this.
  4. Sherman Bird

Sherman Bird Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    The scary thing is there is only a small percentage of us towing trailers that actually know our real numbers or care about them.[/QUOTE]

Do say!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2020 at 11:44 PM
  5. Loudram

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    If you want to scare some sense into someone you know have them search for towing fails or something to that effect on YouTube. It's eye opening.

dhay13, GsRAM and Sherman Bird like this.
  6. GsRAM

GsRAM Senior Member

Ram Year:
    2017 Dodge Ram 2500
    Engine:
    Hemi, 6.4L
    Yeah man, no doubt. Some of those are crazy...scary stuff.

When I tow I try to stay 55-60 mph on the highway and just take my time. There's no rush. When towing especially.......excessive speed kills.

Most ST trailer tires are speed rated to 65 mph. Exceed that for too long and overheat them and bad things happen.

Even if my tires were rated for higher speed I wouldn't. Sadly many tt newbies do not understand the weights and mass involved and controlling that in an emergency situation.

The faster you go, the less reaction time you have. Even with properly adjusted brakes, when your rolling down the road 10-15k combined weight, it takes longer to stop that weight.

I always take towing my tt seriously. It's serious business and should be treated as such.

Just my .02 after many years of towing and seeing more than one rig rubber side up.

7. dhay13

dhay13 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
    I'm 51 and actually towed my first trailer at about 12 years old with my dads 1876 F250...lol. Yeah, just towed it around the hay fields while him and his buddies loaded the trailer. Yeah it was a 4 speed too but I had started riding motorcycles when I was about 6 so knew the concept of a clutch. Anyway, started towing for real at 16. Never paid much attention to weights, just loaded my trailers so they looked level and towed good. Started drag racing at about 20 and towed car trailers from then on so not real light loads. Never had an issue and never paid much attention to my weights until I started towing our current boat (~9000lbs). Weighed it last year and had about 8% tongue weight. Boats typically have less tongue weight due to the engine being at the back.

8. tron67j

tron67j Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    Wow, that is the winner for age on a truck. 1876!

dhay13 and Loudram like this.
  9. tron67j

tron67j Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    6.4 Hemi
    My friend delivered trailers, among other things for years. He said that manufacturer often had the dry weight rated then installed what were considered add ons, and these were things like awnings. Those external items were not always considered part of dry weight.

Might want to go ahead and weigh axles if you can when loaded to make sure front axle weight isn't too light. Thanks for posting the information, good to read the real world measurements.

Loudram likes this.
  10. Loudram

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Hemi 5.7
    My better weigh scale has a weight distribution set up. It shows the balance of weight on both axles and the trailer to. I'm very level. The green is where I should be. The red is where I am.
    Screenshot_20200608-114848.png

392DevilDog, JayLeonard and GsRAM like this.