First budget (sorta) off-road RAM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramhacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I'm getting into offroading for the quasi-first time... Tl;Dr - I'm wondering what are the absolute essential equipment upgrades and carry-ons that I should get for the RAM to do some lighter offroading.

I say quasi-first because I drove off road for years as a park ranger and also even in construction in the past.... But not with MY vehicles... :)

So, that being said, I've recently purchased a 2017 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4 and want to take it on some "lighter" offroading adventures.

I envision driving down off-road trails, maybe some dirt, sand, occasional mud. I'm not yet planning to do any type of rock crawling...

What are the essential upgrades and equipment you'd suggest both on the vehicle and to carry in the vehicle for a beginner?

My RAM currently has 4 coil springs in the suspension and it also seems to be lifted higher than the non 4x4 models. I've put a truck tool box on it, tint, a hitch receiver which I have a ball and hook attachment for (for recovery if need be), and I recently ordered tow hooks that I'm going to install when they come too.

I figure this will cover me in the event I get stuck, could at least get pulled out from front or back.

I also plan to put most likely aggressive A/T or maybe even M/T tires on it, and air them down prior to going over anything that will cause low traction. I have 17" wheels, but I've heard sometimes you want smaller wheels and larger tires for off-roading.

I also plan to carry a snatch strap or kinetic rope, I already have tools for the truck in the toolbox, and bunch of other hitch/strap/emergency related accessories.

Any other recommendations? Probably the area I know least about are the tires... I've heard M/T can be horrible for sand, and that sometimes bald tires perform well on sand. Not sure what to pick and if there is a point in trying to change my wheel size.

Thanks.

ram1500rsm

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Tires, front tow hooks, recovery boards, recovery gear. If you want bigger tires then you need some height. Works the same in most applications. The difference in other applications rock sliders and bumpers can be more affordable, same with regearing, same with traction aids. we don't have rear lockers or front locker options.

Have fun.

kurek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The market for quality all-terrain tires is amazing these days... everyone's got their favorite but really pick any premium brand's all terrain tire and you'll likely have a good time. Unless mud is going to play a major role in your activities a stout all-terrain tire is every bit as good everywhere else and will give you longer service along with likely better fuel efficiency and less noise. Plenty of all terrain tires can still give you a rugged look too if looks are an important part of the deal for you.

If you have 17x7" stock steel wheels then 255/80R17 is a good size; easy fit without having to buy new wheels. I ran that size for a couple years on my Ram & took that thing everywhere without taking a hit on fuel mileage or performance. Don't forget your spare too, you can fit up to 34" outside diameter under there (so 255/80r17 is a great fit there as well). 17" is a good size wheel, vast selection of tires available and there's a reason the off-road oriented Ram trim levels use 17" wheels stock.

There are OEM skidplates available for 4th gen Rams, they're a good addition if you plan to hit any of the rough stuff. Two up front and one under the transfer case. If you think you'll ever be getting them in the future look at doing so before too much time goes by; I only say this because my other FCA vehicle (Jeep Patriot) is the same model year as my Ram and the factory skidplates for the Jeep were discontinued the same year they stopped making those Jeeps. In other words when 4th gen Ram production stops presumably later this year or next year I'd expect the global supply of 4th gen Ram skidplates to be stock on hand..

You're on the right track with getting the recovery hooks too, make sure your receiver hook attachment is recovery rated and never tug or get a tug from a tow ball that's how people die.

Folks will spend your money for you pretty quick with suspension suggestions and yeah the good stuff is good.. but you can go exploring your whole life on stock or modest upgrades plenty of us do it all the time.

So you asked about essentials well here's my recommendation;

1. full size spare. If your spare isn't the same size as the rest of your tires and you have to use it your traction control and ABS will go dopey on you and you won't have a good time on the way home.
2. good shovel. I don't mean one of those $200 showoff overlander shovels but go on and spend >$50 on a good, round point D-handle shovel with a metal handle (not a plastic D-handle, remember when you need this shovel the most it won't be while you're in town by a home depot..)
3. make 100% sure your spare tire crane works properly, your tire jack works properly, you have your lug wrench and any key you might need for locking lug nuts. Do a drill in the driveway once a year you don't need to actually change the tire but make sure everything's there and works. Lubricate your spare tire crane while it's down. You might be really glad you did and it's a decent excuse to hang out in the driveway fooling around with your bad ass truck.
4. Probably not a bad idea to pick up one of those lithium jumpstart batteries, lots of them have a usb power port on them too so you can either start your truck or charge your phone. Not trying to spend your money for you but one of those jumpstart packs got me to a jobsite on time and saved me from letting a few people down and I figure it paid for itself that morning so any future use I get from it is free so to speak.
5. Maybe goes without saying but make sure you have a way to check the pressure on your tires and inflate them after you air down or if you get a slow puncture that you have to drive home on. If you need a recommendation I'm going on ~9 years with this Slime compressor and it hasn't let me down and for the size of tires I have & the pressures I usually run it'll air me up on all 4 without overheating.

If you're looking at auxiliary lighting or other electrical accessories 4thgenramelectronics.com sells a clean OEM style upfitter switch set.. well it's not cheap but it's really good. Keep in mind that inexpensive LED bars will produce a lot of nearfield light so for low speeds they can be a quick way to get a lot of lumens out in front but if you plan to cover distance at night and spot livestock or deer in the road at highway speed you want something with a tighter pattern, either indirect LEDs that are focused by their reflector (PIAA...) or good old halogen with a proper SAE pattern reflector/lens assembly.

Hope all that helps. These trucks are surprisingly capable off the road.. mine's been about everywhere it'll fit and it's never short on traction or power.

OP
OP
R

ramhacker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
Thanks for all that useful info! Good point on the skid plates as well. I need to find out if the hook is "recovery rated". Mine's a curt tow hook but I've seen people use Pintle one before as well.

Daniel Ortiz

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L Hemi V8
That's good advice from @kurek . The only thing I can think to add to his list is a tire plug kit. I've used them several times to repair tire punctures in the tread. They're supposed to be temporary until you can get to a shop and put a patch on the inside, but I've driven with the plugs for the remaining life of the tire with no problems, so there's that. And they can be used in the field, even without taking the tire off if need be.

You also might want to bring a sturdy plate of some sort to support your jack on if you ever have to use it on soft terrain so it won't sink into the ground. I have a couple extra pieces of 2x4 in my tool box for this purpose, and to make up height in case the jack is too short.

Finally, I have to second his advice on a tire deflator and air compressor. Lowering/raising tire pressures is essential for offroaders.

Rut Row

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Diesel
I'm in a similar boat as the OP. I only run mild to moderate stuff here in the east (mostly rock trails). I have the recommended items above. Check with the folks you regularly run with and get whatever radio they are using CB/FRS/GMRS. A cheap handheld works for starters.

I've been running Cooper Discoverer RTX 275/60R20 tires with good success. I'm constantly wanting more clearance up front. My upgrade wish list is the Carli Performance System with 2" lift (if I can ever save the $$$) followed by switching from 20" rims to 17s and 35" tires.