First Dealer Visit for Warranty Work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Took my new 2018 in today to get them to check out the oil temperature gauge situation I’ve been having. They couldn’t find anything wrong. I asked if they would check out the grease on the engine fan and the fan clutch had to be replaced. 5169 miles and the fan clutch is bad. The dealer had it in stock so it only took about an hour total. Overall a good experience with the dealer.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
The failure rate of the electric fan clutch on these 6.7L is why I did the viscous clutch conversion on my 2011. My truck was overheating while towing and the fan wasn't kicking on so I felt it was time for the change. The older diesels ran with the old wax system clutch with hardly any trouble and the electric system has been bothersome to a lot of 6.7 owners.

OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Mine was still working even with the grease running out of it but it may not have for long. It still felt smooth turning it by hand but depending on how much grease leaked out it could have locked up. When you installed the viscous clutch did any programming have to be done? The dealer invoice showed $535 parts and labor for the replacement.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Seeing more and more AC compressor issues on the 6.4 gas. Very noisy after warm up. Our 2018 has this issue. Dealer says yes some of them are very loud after they warm up. "Can't do anything until it fails or throws a code" Will see about that.

OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
What is a lot? This is the first time I'm reading about an issue with the fan clutch on MY13 plus trucks that I recall.
I read or heard about this somewhere else but I can’t remember where. There was enough people having trouble with them that someone was making and marketing a conversion hub to use the fan hubs off of a psd or dmax but I don’t remember all of the details. Anyhow you used the existing fan blade and the conversion hub.

Dennis Shellito

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins IBS
I used the Strictly Diesel conversion hub, a fan clutch from a 97 Ford Power Stroke, and a cooling fan from an 06 Dodge Cummins. I did some research before the conversion, and there were many writings about fan clutch failures in the 4th and 5th gen Cummins . One that stood out to me was a guy that had to install 4 new electric clutches to get one that worked. Is the conversion completely necessary? Probably not, but I have more faith in the manual clutch than an electric system that has failed from both the controls and the clutch itself. I have no CEL from removing the electric clutch and no, I didn't have to do any retuning. I had to spend as much for the conversion as I would have spent replacing the electric unit with a dealership part but I have more faith in it than the electric unit.

OP
OP
OLEJOE

OLEJOE

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
I may have to go that route once my warranty runs out or FCA gets tired of buying them by the six pack. Still got 2 years and 6 months BtoB and 4 1/2 years power train warranty left. Be glad when this pandemic is over and I can put some miles on it towing my TT. I drove class 8’s for almost 40 years and it doesn’t feel right not pulling a trailer.