First Impressions of Red Line oil change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2018 Big Horn Hemi has just a tick over 14k on her an was due for an oil change. Been reading so much good stuff about Red Line that I figured I would give it a try. My engine was not noisy in the least, but, occasionally I would hear, or swear I heard a faint ticking, and occasionally a very low dieseling sound for lack of a better word, while she was warming up. I used 6 quarts of Red Line 5w20, a quart of the Biotech Lubeguard additive and a Royal Purple filter. Start up. Very quiet. The engine was by no means noisy before, but it seems smoother. If that makes sense. So all and all, I’m impressed so far. And the main goal here ultimately is protection since I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

Usual Suspect

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6
And the main goal here ultimately is protection since I plan on keeping this truck for a long time.

So my question would be are you doing UOA's? That's the way to find out how things are going in there and how a certain oil performs. Just you thinking it's smoother is kinda subjective.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So my question would be are you doing UOA's? That's the way to find out how things are going in there and how a certain oil performs. Just you thinking it's smoother is kinda subjective.

I just started doing UOA’s to see how my engine is performing on PUP before trying redline. I will then see if there is a difference and what it is if there is one. It would be interesting to see how the OP’s vehicle is doing if he were to do an UOA.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

Michael

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
hence the title, his impression!

Just because it’s his impression doesn’t mean that he can’t do a UOA to see if what he sees is doing anything or not.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the voices in my head aren’t real, but man, do they ever come up with some great ideas.

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys. Here’s the definition of an impression. An idea, feeling or opinion about something or someone, especially one formed without conscious thought or on the basis of little evidence. Exactly. I have no evidence to support my statement, however, it’s how I feel. The engine SEEMS quieter and smoother, TO ME, but that’s just my opinion. I have no factual data to back it up, it’s just my observation. Or maybe since I just spent over $100 on an oil change I did myself, I want to hear a difference to justify the cost. Lol. I don’t know. But what I do know is there seems to be a general consensus on this forum that the Redline oil and the Lubeguard additive combined with a high quality filter like RP, are a good combination for not only protecting, but quieting our Hemi powerplants. I want to thank all of you who shared your similar observations, experiences and general information on these products mentioned above. They were the basis for me to make my decision to purchase them. And isn’t that what these forums are all about anyway?

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Guys. Here’s the definition of an impression. An idea, feeling or opinion about something or someone, especially one formed without conscious thought or on the basis of little evidence. Exactly. I have no evidence to support my statement, however, it’s how I feel. The engine SEEMS quieter and smoother, TO ME, but that’s just my opinion. I have no factual data to back it up, it’s just my observation. Or maybe since I just spent over $100 on an oil change I did myself, I want to hear a difference to justify the cost. Lol. I don’t know. But what I do know is there seems to be a general consensus on this forum that the Redline oil and the Lubeguard additive combined with a high quality filter like RP, are a good combination for not only protecting, but quieting our Hemi powerplants. I want to thank all of you who shared your similar observations, experiences and general information on these products mentioned above. They were the basis for me to make my decision to purchase them. And isn’t that what these forums are all about anyway?

On my second Redline change/use and mine is way quieter as well, I'm not doing UOAs either. Glad to hear this from you. If you havent already go vote in the poll in this thread ,and thank you.

https://www.ramforum.com/threads/did-redline-oil-work-against-your-hemi-tick.154651/

JayLeonard

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 L Cummins
Used Oil Analysis

Sending a sample of your motor oil at time of change to a 3rd party service ( Blackstone ) to determine metals, contaminants in your oil to determine engine wear. Or if its doing great.

Thank you.
I have done that several times with my boat's diesel and transmission and usually at Blackstone.
Just never heard it called "UOA".
Example below. I get a kick out of the report summaries they write. LOL

Attachments

• 83 LEHMAN-170907.pdf
    17.3 KB · Views: 27

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thank you.
I have done that several times with my boat's diesel and transmission and usually at Blackstone.
Just never heard it called "UOA".
Example below. I get a kick out of the report summaries they write. LOL

Yea, sometimes the acronyms get me, i'll try to google them, but some are only on here or narrowly specific, so i'll ask. One funny one was Hemi and i were talking the other day and he said something about OCC, well i thought he ment OCD, like my name, but its Oil Catch Can, i normally knew this but was thinking in a different gear that day.:bleh:

OP
OP
Hookedup87

Hookedup87

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I stayed with the 5w20. Maybe the Lubeguard? But I think I remember as a kid my Dad, who is the reason I’m a Motörhead, telling me anytime he used Mobil 1 his oil pressure would drop off a bit. He had full gauges in all his cars, including his ‘67 Camaro, 327 with a 2 speed Powerglide, that he bought brand new and still has. He just turned 80 last year and still drives it. God bless the old folks.

Gr8bawana

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 CTD
Guys. Here’s the definition of an impression. An idea, feeling or opinion about something or someone, especially one formed without conscious thought or on the basis of little evidence.

The OP is entitled to his own impression. It's no different than people who say their truck runs better after it's been washed. :Pshyco:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Ram Forum members are literally ending hemi tick at a ridiculous rate just by using this oil, it is a great piece of work of multiple ram forum members. Maybe 100 guys have tied it, around 50 voted so far, results in my sig. There is a name for it, it's called butter smooth, and there is a reason for it, it is the science of the formula. See syn thread for more info if anyone is interested. If it aint redline, it's just oil.

my psi went up 2, seams to be the norm. Now I've been drunk on redline since 2011, and as long as I have this truck, I will keep that going.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Once again, the first uoa of redline is usually worse then the uoa before it, there are many reasons for this spoken ad naseum, but then future uoa's show real low wear numbers. See blackstone thread for more info.

@R.L.K. and @Hemi395 have both done long term redline uoa's, big thanks to them for doing it and sharing it, hemi395 had hemi tick and rlk hasn't had it, so you get to see both situations long term with redline.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The OP is entitled to his own impression. It's no different than people who say their truck runs better after it's been washed. :Pshyco:

It's a proven fact a freshly polished vehicle is faster on a dragstrip,or on a high speed 1 mile or longer test.One of the old hotrod mags did a test years ago,and on a 10 sec drag car,the gains were enough to be recordable and repeatable

OCDTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It's a proven fact a freshly polished vehicle is faster on a dragstrip,or on a high speed 1 mile or longer test.One of the old hotrod mags did a test years ago,and on a 10 sec drag car,the gains were enough to be recordable and repeatable

I always suspected this, but didn't know it for sure, I did know a wax boat bottom is.