First Oil Change and a discovery or 2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Changed oil Pennzoil. Filter Mobil 1. At 1300 miles. It's my ritual with new vehicles.

As I was crawling around under the truck. I noticed it has the active air dam. Was not on the sticker. Is that a option or part of some package?

The filter is located in the worse place compared to any vehicle I have ever owned. Ughhh! Oil everywhere. Gotta find a better way. Also need to find a "bigger " filter.

As I was getting ready to refill with oil. I tried to attach my magnetic trouble light to the hood. WHAT? It is not steel? Neither is the tailgate. Shades of F-150 :)

So far only issues needing return to dealer are window tint on drivers side has a scratch. And passenger seat has a problem with attachments under seat. Wife was complaining I did not pay attention lol.

At this point I love the truck.

Have fun!

Duane Pipes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 19 had bubbled tint on driver's front + rear side too. Dealer fixed it. I thought oil in new vehicles has to stay in it for a lot longer right? I like my truck a lot too but wish I got a Longhorn though

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I have the same ritual. Changed the oil in my 2020 Laramie at a hair under 1000 miles. My biggest disappointment with my new truck is that Ram didn't change the filter location on the 5th gens, but they carried it over from the 4th gens. I installed a filter relocation kit on my 4th gen to avoid the issue. I guess I'll eventually be doing that for this truck too.
One tip I can give, which I read in one of the many forums I belong to, is to loosen the filter, then cover it with a plastic bag to catch the oil. I use a quart size zip lock bag. It almost completely eliminates the mess, but took me a couple of oil changes to get my technique down. Another thing I have done, along with the zip lock, is to cover the steering rack with shop rags to absorb any drips that get past the bag. Be sure to let the engine cool down a bit before removing the filter with this method.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 19 had bubbled tint on driver's front + rear side too. Dealer fixed it. I thought oil in new vehicles has to stay in it for a lot longer right? I like my truck a lot too but wish I got a Longhorn though

The idea is the first oil change is done early. To remove anything that wears off a new engine. Also I don't think the factory used synthetic oil. I run synthetic in all my motors.

Have fun.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the same ritual. Changed the oil in my 2020 Laramie at a hair under 1000 miles. My biggest disappointment with my new truck is that Ram didn't change the filter location on the 5th gens, but they carried it over from the 4th gens. I installed a filter relocation kit on my 4th gen to avoid the issue. I guess I'll eventually be doing that for this truck too.
One tip I can give, which I read in one of the many forums I belong to, is to loosen the filter, then cover it with a plastic bag to catch the oil. I use a quart size zip lock bag. It almost completely eliminates the mess, but took me a couple of oil changes to get my technique down. Another thing I have done, along with the zip lock, is to cover the steering rack with shop rags to absorb any drips that get past the bag. Be sure to let the engine cool down a bit before removing the filter with this method.

Have to look at that filter relocation kit.
Thanks.
I tried the plastic baggie trick. My technique did not work so well ughgg.
Next time maybe:)

Have fun

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yea. I’ve got a 17 but same crappy filter spot. Love my relocate. And my hood is aluminum too. Every .0001% of fuel efficiency they could find

Thanks for the picture.
Is there any reason the filter cannot be vertical? I like to fill the filter with oil before I install it.

Have fun.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not to defend their filter location choice, but Im not sure why we would expect them to change the filter location if the engine in the 5th gen is exactly the same as the engine in the 4th gen :)

As FCA shoe-horns the 5.7 into everything know to man, there are bound to be applications that make the oil filter a PITA to get to. Of course, our trucks win that prize.

And the hood is aluminum (it was on the 4th gens, too). A good thing, IMHO, because at least it wont rust if you get paint chips from driving.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Do you have a link as to where to purchase this extender? I like it especially since I do my own oil changes. Thanks.

Red
Bought from summit racing. It’s a transdapt 1127 kit but I purchased different hose to beef it up. -10 AN hose and fittings. Not sure about mounting points on the new trucks. I mounted mine on the tow hook mounting bar

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Not to defend their filter location choice, but Im not sure why we would expect them to change the filter location if the engine in the 5th gen is exactly the same as the engine in the 4th gen :)

As FCA shoe-horns the 5.7 into everything know to man, there are bound to be applications that make the oil filter a PITA to get to. Of course, our trucks win that prize.

And the hood is aluminum (it was on the 4th gens, too). A good thing, IMHO, because at least it wont rust if you get paint chips from driving.
I didn't expect them to redesign the engine, so I'm not surprised it's still in that location. But they redesigned the rest of the truck. They could have designed the steering rack location to be a little more favorable, or designed a remote filter location. The 2015 Subaru WRX I once owned has a factory filter relocation. It's located at the top of the engine bay, near the front of the engine. Readily accessible as soon as you open the hood.

It will be a a little more of a challenge to find a suitable filter location on my new truck. The frame is angled in the area where I mounted it on my 2017, and there isn't as much empty space there. It shouldn't be a huge problem, just not as obvious to me where I'll mount it yet. But I still have a few months until my next oil change to think about it.

WhiteExpress

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You get used to the oil change, after the change, you get to rinse off your engine.

There are flexible funnels, I tried one, wasn't real impressed. Can also put a piece of tin foil over the boots. *shrug*

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My old 2002 Ram 1500 had an awesome oil "slide" located under the oil filter so the oil would flow down the "slide" and into your container. Very convenient and clean. I wish they would go back to that.

Red

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My old 2002 Ram 1500 had an awesome oil "slide" located under the oil filter so the oil would flow down the "slide" and into your container. Very convenient and clean. I wish they would go back to that.

Red

I think you can still buy it, but the electric steering rack prevents it from being installed in a lot of 4th gen applications.

Will S

Reaction score
Ram Year
TBD
Engine
Changed oil Pennzoil. Filter Mobil 1. At 1300 miles. It's my ritual with new vehicles.

As I was crawling around under the truck. I noticed it has the active air dam. Was not on the sticker. Is that a option or part of some package?

The filter is located in the worse place compared to any vehicle I have ever owned. Ughhh! Oil everywhere. Gotta find a better way. Also need to find a "bigger " filter.

As I was getting ready to refill with oil. I tried to attach my magnetic trouble light to the hood. WHAT? It is not steel? Neither is the tailgate. Shades of F-150 :)

So far only issues needing return to dealer are window tint on drivers side has a scratch. And passenger seat has a problem with attachments under seat. Wife was complaining I did not pay attention lol.

At this point I love the truck.

Have fun!

GM vehicles are going that direction as well. On Sierra's & Silverados, anything that is hinged, e.g. hood, tailgate and all doors: all aluminum.

Not sure if RAM has aluminum doors YET, but chances are, if they're not, they probably will be.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
GM vehicles are going that direction as well. On Sierra's & Silverados, anything that is hinged, e.g. hood, tailgate and all doors: all aluminum.

Not sure if RAM has aluminum doors YET, but chances are, if they're not, they probably will be.

I checked the entire body. Doors and fenders and roof still steel.

But yep it's coming.

RandomRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Red

I noticed on my 2500 it appears there is a tray under the oil filter that has a hole in it. Almost appears it’s made to catch the oil and drain it into the pan. I’m not sure if the 6.4 Hemi has the oil filter in a different location than the 5.7.

Mike R

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
While on the subject of oil changes, I noticed that right beside the oil filler cap
is a node sticking up that will hold filler cap. Not saying but just saying that
MAYBE someone may have changed oil
and in rush to clean up after filling up oil in engine may have forgotten to put cap back on and not realized until wonderful burning oil smell came from under hood from where oil was shooting out and down on manifold. Oil cap at that point no where to be found. This could eliminate that problem, at least as far as losing oil refill cap. Probably won’t eliminate stupidity.

geotex1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
The ziploc bag is generally an epic fail for most working on their back. In a pit or on a lift, works great. Do yourself a favor and take a 2-liter soda bottle and cut the bottom half off it. Use the half with the spout, making sure the cap is tight. The spout makes a good handle for you to hold to slip it around the oil filter and hold it while your other hand spins the filter loose and lets in drop into the soda bottle funnel. Remove everything neat and clean.

OP
OP
2019RamInSC

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The ziploc bag is generally an epic fail for most working on their back. In a pit or on a lift, works great. Do yourself a favor and take a 2-liter soda bottle and cut the bottom half off it. Use the half with the spout, making sure the cap is tight. The spout makes a good handle for you to hold to slip it around the oil filter and hold it while your other hand spins the filter loose and lets in drop into the soda bottle funnel. Remove everything neat and clean.

And we have a winner.

Yeah the problem with plastic bag for me was I could not see it to keep it up where it belongs.

The plastic bottle should work better.

Thanks