First Oil Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fitz-0518

Veteran 66-68
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500. 2018 1500
Engine
6.4 3.6
Filling the oil filter before installing, does not work. As you point out, our filters on the 6.4 install side ways. From what I have read on this forum, other members have installed relocation kits, that do allow the filter to be primed/filled before starting.

Murphy Slaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Bighorn 4X4 Crew
Engine
The 5.7 sits vertical, but I have YET to do an oil change without getting oil in my hair, on my power steering motor, up my arms, on my teeth and even the neighbors dog.

I never try to put oil in it first, I'd just make an even bigger mess, and.....

Not a single shop on the Planet Earth would do it either unless you insisted and stood there watching them with a baseball bat.

I just lube the o-ring and let it do it's thing.

Chief_6.7

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Gotcha,

I did do the relocation kit on my truck to make it easier and cleaner to do my next oil change. I know on the kit it was an option to do horizontal or vertical. As far as priming that should not be necessary but if it helps you sleep at night I don’t see an issue with it

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
No its not necessary. but it does help get oil going faster. but i got the answer i thought i would. just cant really do it with the filter on its side.
thanks for the replys.