First Oil Change.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H

hksvr4

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I’ll wait a little longer for the oil change. I think the dealer put the sticker on just to put one on. I’ll wait for another 3000 miles and change to full synthetic and factory filter. Mostly likely do it myself like all my other cars.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I’ll wait a little longer for the oil change. I think the dealer put the sticker on just to put one on. I’ll wait for another 3000 miles and change to full synthetic and factory filter. Mostly likely do it myself like all my other cars.

Yeah like I said, that’s totally up to you what you do because who knows, it probably doesn’t even matter anymore these days what we do. Engines are built much better these days and the engineering of motor oil has come a long way so you’d probably be fine either way. I just did my first oil change early because I knew it wasn’t gonna hurt nothing if I did and, it was free anyways. lol. But something to ponder- I’ve heard the robot on the assembly line that spins oil filters on puts them on fairly tight and is why a lot of people let the dealer deal with that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I ran my factory fill for 5501 miles on my new 6.4 and had the oil tested at Blackstone laboratories. The oil additions were still in good condition and healthy. But the wear metals were very high as expected, and the oil had sheared down to a very thin level. Dealership put a sticker on the windows telling me to change the oil at 6k. Dumping the factory fill at 3k is a good idea imo.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I ran my factory fill for 5501 miles on my new 6.4 and had the oil tested at Blackstone laboratories. The oil additions were still in good condition and healthy. But the wear metals were very high as expected, and the oil had sheared down to a very thin level. Dealership put a sticker on the windows telling me to change the oil at 6k. Dumping the factory fill at 3k is a good idea imo.

I agree. Reading the results of your oil analysis, I few pretty good for getting the factory fill and oil filter out early like I did.

They were just gonna put basically the same oil that was put in there at the factory but I had to pay a little extra for the good stuff which I think was just the regular Pennzoil synthetic. Third oil change, it has the Pennzoil Ultra Premium in it with the Wix Xp synthetic filter.

CoHam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
He is not "late". Millions upon millions of vehicles have gone to their first recommended oil change interval with nary a worry. Any wear material of any significance to cause damage will be caught by the filter.

The "change early" mantra is more of a mental health exercise and placebo affect than any provable benefit over the life of the vehicle.

I will not be a hypocrite and say I have not changed early, but I have also not sweat the times I did not. Unless one is actually within the definition of severe service, changing early is nothing more than a feel good exercise.

Of course you’re entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. However, I have built and rebuild engines. I have friends and family who do the same, some participate in drag racing (cars and motorcycles) both amature and professional. I don’t agree with you, nor do any of them. In case you’re thinking, “yes, but these are race engines under severe use...”, realize that the effects of breaking in an engine are not different regardless of it’s future use. Some will ignore the decades of experience that I’m referencing, and I really don’t blame you since you don’t know me. You should at least heed the post above by HammerHead. Unless you think he’s lying (which I am certain he is not) then his process and the resulting metrics are not disputable. The wear metals were very high, which is exactly as I said they would be. You can leave that particulate floating in your oil for as long as you want. Your engine won’t be severely damaged; but your rings, bearing and seals will not last as long. This is a fact, but if you don’t keep your vehicle for the long haul then it won’t matter to you. The relatively low cost of a few quarts of oil, a filter, and 30 minutes of my time is definitely worth it to me. If you want the opinion of a professional then seek one out. Your service writer is not qualified, and unfortunately most of the mechanics in the service bay haven’t rebuilt an engine since they were in school. I’m not being disrespectful, just my honest opinion based on my friends who are mechanics at local dealerships. Find a local speed/racing shop (a real one, not a parts seller) and talk to them. I’m fortunate to live near Bandimere Speedway, so there are many in my area.
It’s kinda like brushing your teeth. You can igore all that crap building up on them for a long time without them falling out, but when you do finally chip that crust off you’re likely to find cavities underneath that would not have been there if you had cleaned them more often.

Last edited:

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Oh course you’re entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. However, I have built and rebuild engines. I have friends and family who do the same, some participate in drag racing (cars and motorcycles) both amature and professional. I don’t agree with you, nor do any of them. In case you’re thinking, “yes, but these are race engines under severe use...”, realize that the effects of breaking in an engine are not different regardless of it’s future use. Some will ignore the decades of experience that I’m referencing, and I really don’t blame you since you don’t know me. You should at least heed the post above by HammerHead. Unless you think he’s lying (which I am certain he is not) then his process and the resulting metrics are not disputable. The wear metals were very high, which is exactly as I said they would be. You can leave that particulate floating in your oil for as long as you want. Your engine won’t be severely damaged; but your rings, bearing and seals will not last as long. This is a fact, but if you don’t keep your vehicle for the long haul then it won’t matter to you. The relatively low cost of a few quarts of oil, a filter, and 30 minutes of my time is definitely worth it to me. If you want the opinion of a professional then seek one out. Your service writer is not qualified, and unfortunately most of the mechanics in the service bay haven’t rebuilt an engine since they were in school. I’m not being disrespectful, just my honest opinion based on my friends who are mechanics at local dealerships. Find a local speed/racing shop (a real one, not a parts seller) and talk to them. I’m fortunate to live near Bandimere Speedway, so there are many in my area.
It’s kinda like brushing your teeth. You can igore all that crap building up on them for a long time without them falling out, but when you do finally chip that crust off you’re likely to find cavities underneath that would not have been there if you had cleaned them more often.

Couldn’t agree anymore myself with all that.

And to touch on what you said about the service writers and the oil change mechanics- they don’t care. They’re not paid to care. They’re just doing (and have the mindset) of what they’re being paid to do. And also, they don’t give a **** at all if like, you have to bring your truck in 6 years down the road for a new motor because it just so happened that their ****-poor advice to follow the instruction of the OLM on that first oil change came back to bite someone in the ass.

Even with me, who paid for the lifetime warranty; if that above happened to me, guess what- they get to buy me a new motor. And you know, a lot of people wouldn’t care. Far as they’re concerned, they get a new motor out if it. Me? Even though they’d be buying me a new motor, I don’t wanna have to go through the time of leaving my truck there for 2, 3 weeks while they replace the engine. I don’t wanna have the possibility of having to argue my case and possibly have to get a lawyer involved to keep from getting screwed.

All in all, I think I’ll just take the safer route and get that factory fill outta there and that factory filter off there early. It can’t hurt.

Which, after thinking about all this, I did my first oil change at 2500 miles, not 3000.

Last edited:

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
Oh course you’re entitled to your opinion, as is everyone else. However, I have built and rebuild engines. I have friends and family who do the same, some participate in drag racing (cars and motorcycles) both amature and professional. I don’t agree with you, nor do any of them. In case you’re thinking, “yes, but these are race engines under severe use...”, realize that the effects of breaking in an engine are not different regardless of it’s future use. Some will ignore the decades of experience that I’m referencing, and I really don’t blame you since you don’t know me. You should at least heed the post above by HammerHead. Unless you think he’s lying (which I am certain he is not) then his process and the resulting metrics are not disputable. The wear metals were very high, which is exactly as I said they would be. You can leave that particulate floating in your oil for as long as you want. Your engine won’t be severely damaged; but your rings, bearing and seals will not last as long. This is a fact, but if you don’t keep your vehicle for the long haul then it won’t matter to you. The relatively low cost of a few quarts of oil, a filter, and 30 minutes of my time is definitely worth it to me. If you want the opinion of a professional then seek one out. Your service writer is not qualified, and unfortunately most of the mechanics in the service bay haven’t rebuilt an engine since they were in school. I’m not being disrespectful, just my honest opinion based on my friends who are mechanics at local dealerships. Find a local speed/racing shop (a real one, not a parts seller) and talk to them. I’m fortunate to live near Bandimere Speedway, so there are many in my area.

Funny thing is in the back of my mind when I originally posted what I did, I kinda knew someone would bring the "engine builder" input into the discussion.

I respect your opinion and just like my opinion, it is not a right/wrong discussion, just a extra viewpoint for someone reading here to parse and take into consideration with their decision making process.

Given so much other things that can cause wear of a vehicle engine over it's life, I just have never seen anybody quantify and point to a engine failure that could have been avoided had somebody changed earlier than OEM recommendations.

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny thing is in the back of my mind when I originally posted what I did, I kinda knew someone would bring the "engine builder" input into the discussion.
Well yeah, I’m not at all surprised that someone did. I however, don’t think he’s wrong tho. Whether or not if they use some type of assembly lube or not, or if they actually take the time to prime those new motors after they build them- I don’t know but one thing’s for certain, you’re gonna have a high shavings count in that first fill as that motor gets broke in. That’s one thing you can be certain of. And if whether or not it’s a waste of time to do your first change and even your second change a little early, it certainly isn’t going to hurt anything. It’s just piece of mind.

I respect your opinion and just like my opinion, it is not a right/wrong discussion, just a extra viewpoint for someone reading here to parse and take into consideration with their decision making process.
It is but if an engine builder comes in here and sheds some light on why he would not keep a first fill in his brand new or freshly rebuilt engine, I think I would listen. He probably spends thousands and thousands of dollars on those engines, he might know what he’s talking about. But yeah, we’re all free to do what we want.

Given so much other things that can cause wear of a vehicle engine over it's life, I just have never seen anybody quantify and point to a engine failure that could have been avoided had somebody changed earlier than OEM recommendations.
Well, when it comes to that first oil change, that’s (to me) a whole different ball game. After that, I kinda don’t think it really matters because there probably isn’t a whole lot of bad about following the manufacturer’s recommendation. I myself just can’t see the logic in some of these ultra high mileage intervals.

But on the note of the last part of your post that I’m quoting, the only time ever heard of any bad things happening when you change your oil out too soon is that if you use that royal purple, is how it supposedly works so good that it can cause oil leaks where your seals are...lol.