First one ever to not get AlfaOBD to work.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
So, judging by everyone else's boasting about how easy and amazing AlfaOBD is, I should have known it would never work for me. It's been two weeks of me trying to get it to work and yes, I've contacted their tech support and they are out of ideas.
I have a 2012 1500 SLT 4.7L 2x4 crew cab and I simply wanted to know why the stability control light is on and add some LED lighting on the exterior. I have a nice 10.1" Android stereo I would like to add, but as of today when I got so pissed I threw a wrench at the hood and dented it, I'm very far from the stereo addition.
Here is what I have, what I've tried, what works and what fails:
I've tried 2 Android devices and 1Windows device and they all react the same.
I have 2 cables I bought and they do the same damn thing (OBDLink SX or sux, and an OBDLink EX)
I can turn on one headlight, wipers, and one item at a time. I can do almost every function on any of the controls that I've tried. After getting a base line download of the configuration I did a little fooling around to verify some terminology before I went to change any configurations.
What I can't seem to get working is when I go to the body computer and try to change any of the configuration changes like LED tail lights. I've done some I want to change and they didn't work, and I've tried some that were simple and should change readily, but they didn't work either. It gives me some error message that's so passive aggressive, I can't possibly remember the swarmy wording, something like "possibly maybe something or other may or may not have done something but most likely not, check your adapter and a wire or two ..." I've never read anything as vague before. Aleksy from AlfaOBD didn't know either. He said something was slow. Probably me as the slow one, but I happen to work, design, repair, install, and manage those who work on can-bus systems all day and have for over a decade. That's why I hurled my wrench at my hood and put a nice, big dimple in it today.
What do you think this could be? A new truck? Chevy or Toyota? Ford? Nissan?Anything... Bueler?

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
If you really want assistance you are going to have to put your emotions aside and be more specific on the errors you are getting and exactly what function you were trying. Saying you got an error that said "something" doesn't mean anything to anyone.

Also be aware that the 2012 trucks are limited on what Alfa can do so it may be something that it is just not capable of performing.

We all know the program works so either you are doing something wrong or you have an issue with your truck. Maybe you can have one of your can bus experts look at it?

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Use enough Dynamite there, Butch?

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You can use resistors on the LEDs and skip AlfaOBD.

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Right now, I have LED headlights installed and I'm getting the B1630 and B162C errors. Until about ten minutes ago, I was getting a dash light for stability control. It inexplicably has turned off. This occasionally happens and then it comes back shortly after I start driving.
My emotions are put aside. On my way home from work, I viewed the dimple I added to the hood as an opportunity to learn how to fix dimples I put in hoods. It's a solid truck and more than anything, it runs and most everything works. I just put really amazing racing brakes on the front as the standard brakes with phenolic pistons tend to shatter in Houston where we typically deal with high water that drenches them and cools them too quickly. So, I like the truck, it's this little thing that I can't seem to get past when I just bought an Android stereo where I can have the OBD2 connected full time and make adjustments when needed, and more, monitor the more intricate items in real time. It was upsetting to have planned it out, which I've done this setup in a vehicle before wigmthout any issue. I have LED tail lights and would like to have all of the exterior lights changed to LED if I can get the truck's can-bus system to allow me to do this without adding resistors at every bulb.
I hope that is more of the line of information needed if you have any advice or tips.

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Screenshot_2023-01-23-08-29-30-01_6d3dcdd585f0e667995b9985370bf79e.jpg

For any of the body computer settings, and I have tried many, this is the response that I receive. I disconnect and shut the truck off for several minutes and it goes back to the previous setting. I have disconnected the battery for lengthy durations of time, held the horn, left the lights on, etc. to fully discharge the circuit. I have uninstalled and reinstalled AlfaOBD, tried two android devices and a Windows device on both an OBDLink Sx and OBDLink EX cable. The android devices use different OTG dongles so those have changed too. That leaves the truck and me as the common elements. One of us, the truck or me, as having the fault.

Thomas Dodds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4l
I did LED in my cabin with no AlfaODB ... no issues (2015 3500) ... I went with the cheapest ones I could find on Amazon as a test (most of them are still working 18 mos later - including the dimming as they turn off) ... next time I'll get a whole interior pack and re-do them all.

I am also someone who if it works for everyone else - I'll have issues! I was never able to hook up my Alfa account to Google drive so I don't have the backup they describe ... I am very careful and I do one change at a time.

I use the OBDLink MX+ ... I researched until I was blue in the face ... it seemed that the others (from OBDLink) didn't work as well. I saw that Veepeak (search Amazon: Veepeak Mini Bluetooth OBD II Scanner for Android Only, Auto Check Engine Light Code Reader Car Diagnostic Scan Tool) is a 13$ one that some YouTubers are using on their rams - might be worth trying it with this instead of spending a lot more on the MX+.

Also, check out the AlfaOBD thread on this forum - the very top notes the years starting in 2013 - so you might have limitations on what you can do.

Thomas Dodds

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 6.4l
"OBD Interface Issue" ... I'm wondering if you aren't getting a 2-way communication between your device and the BCM ... That tells me the SX/EX is not working for your RAM ... they might work for other vehicles. Save your money (at this point) and try the Veepeak instead of pursuing the MX+. I got the MX+ as I wanted the ability to AlfaOBD with a tablet and see my OBD readings with an iPhone (when I'm trailering).

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
Also, check out the AlfaOBD thread on this forum - the very top notes the years starting in 2013 - so you might have limitations on what you can do

Don't pay any atention to that 2013 model year, that was a misunderstanding when the thread was created. This software was written for European cars back in 2007 or so, way before the 2013's were on the drawing board. Someone figured out the Rams use the same computers as those cars and it works. I've used it on my old 2006 Charger R/T withut issues. The year has nothing to do with the issues, as stated before, just what options\functions are available.

OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Thanks to Alexey, we found that my phone is slow, too slow to communicate to AlfaOBD. We tried two phones and finally I got my Windows laptop, that strangely, I had tried once and didn't work, but then it did work. I have an Android stereo I I tend to install and I'm a bit concerned at the moment that it will also be too slow. I can understand an old Samsung phone being too slow that I had and tried as a backup. It surprised me that my new phone, with everything snlhut off and shut down as much as possible was also too slow. It's three months old has Android 12, a fairly good processor, but it just couldn't go fast enough. If I come across another OTG dongle, I may try it again to see if that was the bottleneck. I'll keep the information here if others have this issue so there is some representation that a slow android communication is a possible reason why some features will work, but more critical ones will not.

WK2_479

Reaction score
Ram Year
N/A
Engine
N/A
That's actually why I came to this forum, to get info about AlfaOBD. I don't even own a Ram, I drive a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was suggested by many of the Jeep Garage forum members to check out Ram Forums for a comprehensive AlfaOBD user guide.

Also, I guess Ram trucks and Jeep Grand Cherokees share a lot of the same components...chassis, electrical system, modules, etc.?

A lot of members on Jeep Garage praise AlfaOBD up and down, talk about how great it is and how many features you can unlock...but there's a giant disclaimer that many of them neglected to mention:
Many of the configurable parameters these guys mention in their posts on Jeep Garage ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE/APPLICABLE for 2011-2013 Grand Cherokee owners.

Apparently the electrical architecture of the vehicle changed in 2014. As well as a "facelift" on the body of the vehicle, some design changes, but that's irrelevant. The chassis code, WK2, stayed the same however. So there's a lot of stuff out there that's advertised to work for 2011-2019 WK2 vehicles...when, in reality, it does not.

I emailed AlfaOBD directly and was told by Alexey that many of the features for 2014+ Grand Cherokees are, indeed, NOT SUPPORTED for 2011-2013 Central Gateway Network Non-PowerNet vehicles. Great....just great.

I can not change the commanded voltage to get rid of the hyperflash from switchibg bulbs to LEDs. I will now have to buy a fking resistor for each individual bulb. I can not change the brake light/reverse lighting system parameters, so now I can't do a "Euro Turn Signal" mod. I probably won't be able to activate the "Rear Fog Light" option either, if I had to guess. Already bought the rear fog light kit months ago...

I have not been able to use AlfaOBD as anything more than a glorified code scanner.

My whole purpose for buying this $50 software, and the associated $150 Mx+ adapter, was so that I could add options onto my vehicle myself, without having to go to the dealer to get the vehicle reprogrammed.

I'm beginning to wonder if this software does ANYTHING for 11-13 Mopar vehicles .....I'm just seriously disappointed. I feel misled. But according to everyone else, it's nobody's fault but my own. I researched for WEEKS before finally deciding to buy AlfaOBD and the adapter. But I'm the one who's wrong?

I gotta side with the OP on this one. Putting your emotions aside makes sense and all; sage advice, truly. However, what also makes sense is getting understandably upset because you paid for an item or service and had a reasonable expectation that the product/service would deliver on these expectations, as advertised. Then, you find out you paid almost $200 for what is now essentially a paperweight.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ConorToot

ConorToot

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Interestingly enough, I just ordered a CAN bus module for a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee because I found out that the Android stereo that I purchased has some additional benefit if a connector that they did not include for me, is used to connect to a module, that they did not offer me. Luckily, I have experience integrating electronics with these systems. If I had to rely on any of the instructions, I would be screwed because so far, all instructions that have come with the equipment that I've purchased have been completely incorrect. It's been a nightmare trying to get anyone from any of the manufacturers to assist, to reply, or to be accountable for anything. Here is a short version of one conversation that took a week of back and forth questions:
Me: "Hi, I bought the stereo you sell, and I would like to get the 8-pin connector labeled "F". Do you sell that seperately, or was I supposed to get it, or could you provide the manufacturer information so I can order locally?"
Them: "You did not receive the connector. Which connector? We sent all that you get for your purchase."
Me: "Yeah, see.. I have a can-bus module, and connector F, the 8-pin connector labeled "F" in the installation instructions is what I need to connect to a can-bus module that I have."
Them: "Sir, you did not purchase the stereo option with the can-bus. We do not know what connector you are referring to. The connector that is 8-pin is for people who purchase the can-bus module that comes with connector F."
Me: "Yes, that is the one I want to purchase from you. How do I go about purchasing one?"
Them: "Sir, you did not purchase this and you do not get connector F that we don't offer. It is for the customers who purchase it."
Me: "Yes, and I would like to be one of those customers. How can I do that?"
Them: "Sir, you purchased the S8 model. You cannot purchase a can-bus system later. We do not sell the connector F what-so-ever. The customer that bought connector F purchased the S8 and had a can-bus module."
Me: "Uhhh, yes. I have all of that. Can I get one... you know, never mind. I'll make my own and not send you money for a product."
Them: "Please fill out the survey and list how successfully I answered your question."
Me: ...NO!

metalchewy

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 TRX4
Engine
4.7L
You might find the LED answers in the alfaobd thread for our 09-12 4th gens. Posted over in the 3rd gen forum.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
if it makes you feel better, in my '18 Rebel, I can't even get AlfaOBD Lite to connect to the BCM... I will add that most of my testing was a cheap ELM module off FB Marketplace. Only very limited attempts with an OBD MX+, as I found it needed a firmware update, but the update shat itself. Only just got the firmware fixed yesterday (So basically the month I have had the dongle, most of the time it has been broken...), in my work Silverado. (I haven't had a lot of time recently, but thought to bring the OBD MX+ with me to work, and fixed it finally.)
EDIT: So I don't sound so dumb, after the firmware update, it connected perfectly to my Rebel, and darn near instantly. So paid Alexi for the full app, which also connected instantly, once I had the adapter connected (which for some reason took a while...) now just to install the bypass cable, and... Start doing rude things to the BCM.

Last edited:

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's actually why I came to this forum, to get info about AlfaOBD. I don't even own a Ram, I drive a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee. It was suggested by many of the Jeep Garage forum members to check out Ram Forums for a comprehensive AlfaOBD user guide.

Also, I guess Ram trucks and Jeep Grand Cherokees share a lot of the same components...chassis, electrical system, modules, etc.?

A lot of members on Jeep Garage praise AlfaOBD up and down, talk about how great it is and how many features you can unlock...but there's a giant disclaimer that many of them neglected to mention:
Many of the configurable parameters these guys mention in their posts on Jeep Garage ARE NOT ACCESSIBLE/APPLICABLE for 2011-2013 Grand Cherokee owners.

Apparently the electrical architecture of the vehicle changed in 2014. As well as a "facelift" on the body of the vehicle, some design changes, but that's irrelevant. The chassis code, WK2, stayed the same however. So there's a lot of stuff out there that's advertised to work for 2011-2019 WK2 vehicles...when, in reality, it does not.

I emailed AlfaOBD directly and was told by Alexey that many of the features for 2014+ Grand Cherokees are, indeed, NOT SUPPORTED for 2011-2013 Central Gateway Network Non-PowerNet vehicles. Great....just great.

I can not change the commanded voltage to get rid of the hyperflash from switchibg bulbs to LEDs. I will now have to buy a fking resistor for each individual bulb. I can not change the brake light/reverse lighting system parameters, so now I can't do a "Euro Turn Signal" mod. I probably won't be able to activate the "Rear Fog Light" option either, if I had to guess. Already bought the rear fog light kit months ago...

I have not been able to use AlfaOBD as anything more than a glorified code scanner.

My whole purpose for buying this $50 software, and the associated $150 Mx+ adapter, was so that I could add options onto my vehicle myself, without having to go to the dealer to get the vehicle reprogrammed.

I'm beginning to wonder if this software does ANYTHING for 11-13 Mopar vehicles .....I'm just seriously disappointed. I feel misled. But according to everyone else, it's nobody's fault but my own. I researched for WEEKS before finally deciding to buy AlfaOBD and the adapter. But I'm the one who's wrong?

I gotta side with the OP on this one. Putting your emotions aside makes sense and all; sage advice, truly. However, what also makes sense is getting understandably upset because you paid for an item or service and had a reasonable expectation that the product/service would deliver on these expectations, as advertised. Then, you find out you paid almost $200 for what is now essentially a paperweight.
My RAM I believe is running YOUR Jeep radio firmware, as the '18 radio "maxes" at v 22.6 (I couldn't get past 21.9), but the Jeep firmware flashes fine for V39.x (I forgot...) And runs with RAM graphics.

PaleFlyer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My RAM I believe is running YOUR Jeep radio firmware, as the '18 radio "maxes" at v 22.6 (I couldn't get past 21.9), but the Jeep firmware flashes fine for V39.x (I forgot...) And runs with RAM graphics.
It's odd that it does so little for your MY, when it seems to still be able to do a decent amount for third gen RAMs, which are like '04-'09... And the early 4th gen RAMs can do quite a bit as well.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a 2012, I have Alpha ODB and the proper MX+ dongle. Guess what Im running 5$ resistors for my rear LEDs... lol.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
On my 2011, before I sold it, I had zero issues going to full leds, adjusting multiple body computer functions with alfa. I used the wireless mx+ and continue to use the same adapter today on my 14 RT, 15 durango and 16 larmine

Have you tried to do this via Bluetooth vs wired? Have you ever updated your alfa software. Did you pay the 49.00 or whatever fee?

PS there are multiple bulbs available that do not require resistors. Most are available on Amazon, so they can be returned if they don't work