First post, last truck for me (even though I love the truck)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tenntex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I have been following the posts on this site for 5 years. This is my first post. I need sympathy now.
We bought our first Ram 1500 in 2017, when our Ford 150 King Ranch was flooded during the Harvey hurricane here in Houston. (We lost 3 vehicles - 2012 Ford 150, 2017 Chrysler Pacifica, and 2017 Dodge Challenger.) The lost King Ranch was our third King Ranch model truck. The King Ranch had a personal connotation to me, and my wife loved the interiors, so that's how that got started. When we needed to get a replacement for the flooded truck, Ford had a hold on the King Ranch model. Being a life-long Chrysler product Ram_1-mod.JPG

fan and owner, we looked at the Ram. We bought the 2017 Longhorn Laramie in 2-tone brown with the 5.7 V8 engine. We love this vehicle. It is good looking, beautiful interior, smooth, quiet. Overall better vehicle than our King Ranch was, so Harvey's misfortune brought us a little joy with this vehicle.
This is my wife's truck. She does not drive it much. It has 5,400 miles on it. I didn't mistype.
We are now facing a dilemma. We're up in years. My wife has a hard time getting into the truck, and to a lesser extent I do to. But getting rid of this truck will be difficult to do for many reasons. My wife has used a truck as her vehicle for 22 years. She feels more comfortable driving from the higher position. She is not sure she can drive in a van or SUV. So, we're kind of stuck.
My most logical solution is to trade for a small/midsize SUV. Chrysler (Stellantis) doesn't have anything we want. Not interested in what Jeep has to offer. Any suggestions for a transition vehicle would be welcome. If you are Ram lover, we will have some common ground that makes your feedback useful.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
As someone in a not to vastly different thought position from your wife, my wife is a truck person and has always liked larger vehicles. We sold her truck a few years back for something better on gas. She has wanted something bigger ever since. We finally had the chance to trade her car off for a small suv and opted for a Toyota rav4 which she is already extremely happy about. I’ve driven a work van and trucks for a long time now and always had trouble driving smaller vehicles. The feeling of sitting on the ground always messes me up. Driving her new rav4 I feel a lot more comfortable as does she. We got lucky and found one on the dealer lot fairly close to what we wanted and they are currently doing end of year sales and have 4 years of service included on the car up to 48,000 miles and this dealership offered us a lifetime power train warranty through them.

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I drove a Honda CRV loaner once and was surprised to find it enjoyable.

We have a Ford Explorer in the family which is a very nice ride but a lower entry and riding position than trucks.

You are fortunate that crossovers have become so popular, there’s a bunch to choose from. I’d get out there and audition what every brand has to offer and get what makes you the most comfortable.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The reason the wife got the Limited was because of the air suspension and automatic steps. She is height challenged, and we are creeping up on 80. The interior, ride, and ease of entry were the selling points.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I am 78, my last 2 years have been rough, medically
That stretch is pretty much over now, except that i am now over 300 pounds. I am only 5' 8"
I push the button & make my seat slide all the way back
Then i step on my Nerf bar with my left foot & my right foot is set on the floor board & i slide in & reset my seat.

Those AMP Power Steps are nice & wide, much better than my Nerf Bars.
I will not own a car, they sit too low

I don't want to wear the left edge of the drivers seat, but i found something that will lessen the wear & help me to pivot in the seat. larger sizes are used to help you to turn over in bed

71uvCkq6bsL._AC_UL900_SR615,900_.jpg

something that would be handy, would be a hollow metal rod, that would go from the center point between the 2 "B" pillars, to a cross member in the roof, up near the windshield.
That bar would be great for grabbing & pulling a person into the seat, it would work for either the driver or passenger,
for those that could not grab the bar itself, a strap device could be hooked around the bar
-856b-e2e0d12883f6.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
As sugggested, go Ram with Air suspension. even get AMP research power side steps.
If truck simply is not going to work, Rav4 are nice, Sister has one, but....I hate them. Sorry, I do.
Highlanders are really nice,as wewll, buddy has 2 of them. Both are terrific but...I hate them.
I really do.

Last few years, had to quit work, sell my 2014 Ram because I could not get into it.
Get new hips, only to find out my spine is shot. Knee's close 2nd.
Just able to get into this new Ram, with side steps, but when pain levels are high, it sits.

Ford Explorers are nice.
Ride nice, intuitive control and layouts but DO NOT GET AN ST MODEL Wife has one and, guess what?
I hate it too. Even my Dad, who is even worst off than I am, says my Truck has the best ride.
Sisters Rav4 is junk but far distant 2nd.
Other sisters, new Blazer is complete & utter junk but 3rd overall.
My Wife's Explorer ST is absolutely roughest riding, biggest ****, EVER, and he would rather stay home.
if he didn't ned to see the Doctor, once he got there, in that Explorer , he would definitely need to see the doctor.

Again, ST model. Others ride fine.
Stay w=away from GM Crossovers, far too many problems.
Don;t take my word for it.
Go to any Goodyear or Firestone, ask those guys what SUV to avoid and what they work on the most.

Good LUck to you

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
My wife has been eyeing up the Hyundai Santa Cruz. Much lower to the ground than a full sized truck but still has a truck bed. Likely not alot different than driving many of todays crossovers but still has the truck look

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife has a CRV touring and she loves it. I not so much as it is pretty boring. We have had more hondas than I can count starting in 1975 with a civic. currently we have 2 crvs and a civic. I have been trying to talk my wife into either a passport or a pilot just because they are a bit bigger.

1979PowerWagon360

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 TRX
Engine
Welcome. That's a beautiful low mileage Ram you have. You mentioned there aren't any Chrysler products now that interest you. That's too bad but I understand (Not even a 300 with 5.7?) :)

I don't know how low the RAV4 sits. I'd think they are still somewhat a step up. You should get great money for your Ram! I bet if she gets something really nice, comfortable, and reliable, like a decked out Camry V6 she will quickly adjust to the difference in ride height with the ease of getting in and out.

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Welcome. That's a beautiful low mileage Ram you have. You mentioned there aren't any Chrysler products now that interest you. That's too bad but I understand (Not even a 300 with 5.7?) :)

I don't know how low the RAV4 sits. I'd think they are still somewhat a step up. You should get great money for your Ram! I bet if she gets something really nice, comfortable, and reliable, like a decked out Camry V6 she will quickly adjust to the difference in ride height with the ease of getting in and out.
300 with the 6.4 would be high on the list...

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
When my 19 Laramie was totaled out, I decide I'd look for a vehicle that would still be large enough for me. 6'3" 225# and allow my wife to drive also. She just finds trucks to big.

Decided on a fully loaded 2020 Ford Explorer Limited with very low miles I found at a local Ford Dealer. It has turned out to be everything that I expected before I purchased it. Ride quality is better that the Ram and while not a small vehicle my wife will drive this one.

It also has an outstanding safety system with excellent lane holding and computer controlled speed and spacing if you are into that. I am.

It has the turbo 2.4 engine which worried me but it performs well for it's size. If you want to go to a larger engine than the Platinum come with a 3.0 turbo engine that really goes.

Interesting that while smaller it has the exact size 20" tires as the 19 Laramie.

Attachments

• explorer.jpg
    explorer.jpg
    188.1 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
T

tenntex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I am truly grateful for the multitude of good suggestions. Thanks to all of you.
To Avantiguy, I had a Chrysler 300 for 5 years, loved it. Sold it the DAY BEFORE we were flooded by Harvey. Blind luck on my part. I might consider the 300, except Chrysler has reduced the color chart to unacceptable colors for me.
The suggestions for power lift are intriguing, but given the physical problems we both have, I've decided we have to avoid the high entry of a full size truck. Fall risk is too high. We're brittle, and might shatter. (We are in late 80's.) The mid-sized SUV's are where I plan to look first. Some of them are selling at a premium now, and I don't do premiums.
I would be interested in thoughts about whether I should sell my truck outright or try to trade it. It is hard to value a 5 year old premium truck with so few miles. Trading saves a lot of sales tax, so I am ambivalent at this point. I used to love haggling when I bought and traded cars. This is another change from getting old - I do not have the desire to get lowballed on trade and high-balled on the vehicle I want to purchase. Years ago, I used to buy from the head guy at a Chrysler dealer. We usually cut a deal in under 5 minutes. A young salesman sat in on one of my last deals. He said he never saw a deal made that fast. The owner and I were cutting a fair deal for both sides. Those days are gone.
Thanks again for all of the useful responses I received.

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I am truly grateful for the multitude of good suggestions. Thanks to all of you.
To Avantiguy, I had a Chrysler 300 for 5 years, loved it. Sold it the DAY BEFORE we were flooded by Harvey. Blind luck on my part. I might consider the 300, except Chrysler has reduced the color chart to unacceptable colors for me.
The suggestions for power lift are intriguing, but given the physical problems we both have, I've decided we have to avoid the high entry of a full size truck. Fall risk is too high. We're brittle, and might shatter. (We are in late 80's.) The mid-sized SUV's are where I plan to look first. Some of them are selling at a premium now, and I don't do premiums.
I would be interested in thoughts about whether I should sell my truck outright or try to trade it. It is hard to value a 5 year old premium truck with so few miles. Trading saves a lot of sales tax, so I am ambivalent at this point. I used to love haggling when I bought and traded cars. This is another change from getting old - I do not have the desire to get lowballed on trade and high-balled on the vehicle I want to purchase. Years ago, I used to buy from the head guy at a Chrysler dealer. We usually cut a deal in under 5 minutes. A young salesman sat in on one of my last deals. He said he never saw a deal made that fast. The owner and I were cutting a fair deal for both sides. Those days are gone.
Thanks again for all of the useful responses I received.
Traded the wife’s 2013 Corolla. Had 93,000 miles on it. They gave us 8500$ for it. 8000$ for the car and 500$ off on taxes. Look up the kbb price on it.

stevenP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 2500 Longhorn
Engine
6.7L Cummins
I have found in the past few years that this getting old thing is not for the weak. Having to give up some things due to aging is very personal to most everyone. Having to get into a truck is a thing, but so is crawling into some smaller vehicles. Best of luck on your search. We did a chrysler pacifia as our, not a truck vehicle.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
How about a Durango? That's what my bride drives, loves it. That said, the air suspension in my Ram drops it lower than even the Durango. Being from the south you don't have to worry about the system frezzing up like we do in the north.

pacofortacos

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have a Ram 1500, however, I have a work vehicle that I drive the most.
They have been Pacificas the past several years, but due to supply issues our fleet company has had trouble getting new ones.
So I was offered a 2022 Chevy Traverse, I like it MUCH better than the Pacifica, it sits between the Pacifica and Ram height wise but seems to be much easier to get in to than either of those, but you ride higher (or seem to at least ) vs. the Pacifica. The size is a decent size unlike many of the small SUV/crossovers.