First post, last truck for me (even though I love the truck)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JW2 Innovations

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 2500
Engine
Go to a Carmax with a list of what interests you and check out several all at once to save some time vs to each manufacturer. I got surprised on the last car I bought doing it that way. Not saying it's the best place to buy from, just a place to start and narrow down options quickly.

weldguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know the haters and bullies will flame me, but I don't really care. I was faced with the same decision when moving from my beloved Ram 1500. My wife's arthritis made it difficult for her to enter and exit (we are in our '70s). I looked at several smaller trucks, but found most just as difficult for her. Then we drove a Honda Ridgeline and couldn't believe how nice it rides and sits just about the same height as the Pilot. It's AWD, roomy and can tow 5,000 pounds. We are very happy with our choice and it does everything we need from a truck.

Maryland_Man

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L V8 HEMI MDS VVT
I used the KBB and Edmunds sites to value my trade-in. Answered questions honestly and the sites provided low, average and high values based on area I live in. I was able to trade a 2007 Ford F-150 with 65,000 miles for average price with dealership. Mechanically, the truck was in good shape, no rust, but had its share of body dings, scrapes, etc... Tend to think that older trucks with lower miles are more desirable than newer trucks with high miles.

OP
OP
T

tenntex

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
I already have a Pacifica (since 2017). This vehicle is very useful as it allows me to carry 2x4x8ft, which very few vehicles will accommodate (need for taking things to my weekend property). I have owned GMC Acadia, Buick Enclave, Nissan Rouge as non-truck/non-van vehicles. (I even had the Pontiac Aztek, which I loved. Color me weird.) Based on all factors important to me today, the Rouge and Aztek are about the right size, and there are many similar sized competitors. I am finding color selection as very limiting on viable choices on dealer lots. Sorry, I don't want Black, White, or Silver. The hunt has begun.

VIZ28

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Keep the low mile truck you both like.
Take it to a local fabricator that can weld aluminum and have them custom make you 2 step running boards.

It will cos you less than what you will loose selling your truck.

Tony1945

Reaction score
Ram Year
Ram 2019
Engine
V8
I have been following the posts on this site for 5 years. This is my first post. I need sympathy now.
We bought our first Ram 1500 in 2017, when our Ford 150 King Ranch was flooded during the Harvey hurricane here in Houston. (We lost 3 vehicles - 2012 Ford 150, 2017 Chrysler Pacifica, and 2017 Dodge Challenger.) The lost King Ranch was our third King Ranch model truck. The King Ranch had a personal connotation to me, and my wife loved the interiors, so that's how that got started. When we needed to get a replacement for the flooded truck, Ford had a hold on the King Ranch model. Being a life-long Chrysler product View attachment 509326

fan and owner, we looked at the Ram. We bought the 2017 Longhorn Laramie in 2-tone brown with the 5.7 V8 engine. We love this vehicle. It is good looking, beautiful interior, smooth, quiet. Overall better vehicle than our King Ranch was, so Harvey's misfortune brought us a little joy with this vehicle.
This is my wife's truck. She does not drive it much. It has 5,400 miles on it. I didn't mistype.
We are now facing a dilemma. We're up in years. My wife has a hard time getting into the truck, and to a lesser extent I do to. But getting rid of this truck will be difficult to do for many reasons. My wife has used a truck as her vehicle for 22 years. She feels more comfortable driving from the higher position. She is not sure she can drive in a van or SUV. So, we're kind of stuck.
My most logical solution is to trade for a small/midsize SUV. Chrysler (Stellantis) doesn't have anything we want. Not interested in what Jeep has to offer. Any suggestions for a transition vehicle would be welcome. If you are Ram lover, we will have some common ground that makes your feedback useful.
Try Lexus 460

grumpyb

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Gmc acadia is between the truck and a car , higher than a car but lower than a truck and big enough to be comfortable

Danny Phillips

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
I had the AMP electric steps put on my 2015 Laramie 4x4. My wife is short, but the steps really helped. I'm in the shape as GOFSHN and couldn't drive without the steps.

regulator54

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 SLT Plus, Crew Cab 4X4
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been driving trucks, either F150 or Ram 1500 for 40 years. Just this year I switched to a Dodge Durango SUV. Works well, and I still have the hemi engine for the giggle factor. You can soup it up to Hellcat levels, or keep it tame with the V6. Good all purpose vehicle, and the wife likes it better than trucks!

Flynight

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The power running board really do make it a lot easier for getting in and out. I have always had nerf bars on all my trucks but even with those proved to be a little harder.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
If she likes trucks also look into the FORD Ranger and Chevy Colorado . Too bad Dodge does not make the Dakota anymore Even Toyota makes a Mid Size truck

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
OP - we are in our mid-60's, I'm a retired engineer and pretty a*n*a*l about all my machinery.

My wife wanted a very similar vehicle to what yours described. I forced her to go to the annual car show here (ha ha), there were only 3 crossover SUV's that were comfortable for her: (1) Mazda CX-5 (2) Chevy Equinox (3) Honda CR-V

We went to dealerships for test drives. All 3 were about equal comfort on the road, but only the Mazda had a decent size motor and transmission allowing acceleration onto the many interstate highways here. The other 2 went to little mouse motors with CVT transmissions. Just terrible - like driving a go cart with a Briggs & Stratton.

She bought the Mazda, our 1st non-USA vehicle. These are all still built in Japan, quality is outstanding, was ranked #1 on JD Power Survey of new vehicles in-category.

To top it off, pricing was lower than the other two.

Best wishes!