First responder POV light recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Gang-
I'm a volunteer firefighter in a small town. Just acquired my first Ram 1500 crew cab. I have some LEDs on the grille and interior LEDs on the rear deck of my VW Passat daily driver that I'd like to move over to the pickup. Grille lights should be fine but there's no obvious place to mount the LED rack lights in the rear. The headrests are in the way for a low mount and I don't see an obvious place for a high mount that won't interfere with the sliding window.
Has anyone figured out a good way to mount emergency lights back there? I could get new lights but my wife might kill me, so I'd prefer to stick with the ones I already have that look more or less like these:

1655984135560.png

OC455

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018, 2019
Engine
5.7 Hemi Big Horn, 6.4L Hemi 3500 Longhorn Mega cab
Maybe a magnetic roof mount for 360 degree visibility?

OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks. Thought of that but I'm trying to see if I can reuse the ones I have and I'd also prefer not to put anything on the roof. It's left outside under a tree...

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Gang-
I'm a volunteer firefighter in a small town. Just acquired my first Ram 1500 crew cab. I have some LEDs on the grille and interior LEDs on the rear deck of my VW Passat daily driver that I'd like to move over to the pickup. Grille lights should be fine but there's no obvious place to mount the LED rack lights in the rear. The headrests are in the way for a low mount and I don't see an obvious place for a high mount that won't interfere with the sliding window.
Has anyone figured out a good way to mount emergency lights back there? I could get new lights but my wife might kill me, so I'd prefer to stick with the ones I already have that look more or less like these:

View attachment 496000
Maybe you could reach out to your Local PD and see if they have any Dodges and how they mounted them? With LEO, there are specific kits that are used to mount, power by Vehicle Make.

OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Maybe you could reach out to your Local PD and see if they have any Dodges and how they mounted them? With LEO, there are specific kits that are used to mount, power by Vehicle Make.
Local PD is the county sheriff which is ~30 miles away! But good idea. I know they drive Ford SUVs but will look at surrounding departments to see if someone else has them on a Ram or other crew cab. The one guy in our department who drives a Ram just retired and he had one unit mounted in front of the passenger visor.
Thanks!

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Just a thought. The Medics down here have mounted lights inside on their RAMS. When I was working, I ran a F150, but that was with overheads, etc.,. You never know what a PD gonna run, Lowest Bidder, lol.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull the headrests up and strap them to the headrest bars?

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Pull the headrests up and strap them to the headrest bars?
bad idea, not see well, reflect all over the place, hard to distinguish and blind driver. All IMHO and a lil experience, lol. U need them babies right up against the glass, especially on vehicles with tinted rear glass, etc, as most vehicles R these days.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
bad idea, not seen well, reflect all over the place, hard to distinguish and blind driver. All IMHO and a lil experience, lol. U need them babies right up against the glass, especially on vehicles with tinted rear glass, etc, as most vehicles R these days.
Have to agree. When i first put them on the dash i could barely see out the windshield when they were on at night.

Phirebeard

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Makes sense. Im not a first responder so I have no experience with that lol. Could you mount them on the bed or they have to be inside? Add a chase rack?

OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Makes sense. Im not a first responder so I have no experience with that lol. Could you mount them on the bed or they have to be inside? Add a chase rack?
Could, but I'm trying to use the ones I have which are not for exterior mounting.

turkeybird56

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only thought is pre-fab some type of bracket to mount, attach under headliner and also run wiring for power. You would also need to research as there may be mounting kits available from LEO type of suppliers for the lights.

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Gang-

View attachment 496000
You’ve probably figured out a solution by now, but I had a similar issue on my ram. I ended up getting a flasher module and just programming it to use the third high mount brake light. I’ve seen people use led strips in the gap under their tailgate and above the bumper as well but that seems like a pain to get to flash the right sequence. I don’t have any led’s at current but am planning on getting a pair for the grill to work with the flashing headlight pattern. If you’ve found a solution I’d love to hear it!

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
I had to completely remove the rear seat head rests
i needed a better field of vision
Because of the low speeds that i must travel at while working, i get more tailgaters than anyone would think.

You would think that those drivers would take a hint, it is not like they don't have enough warning.

This was my 2009 Dodge Ram
My 2016 is set up the same way

1662028437573.png

Last edited:

Forestry_Ridge

Wildland firefighter/EMT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I had to completely remove the rear seat head rests
i needed a better field of vision
Because of the low speeds that i must travel at while working, i get more tailgaters than anyone would think.

You would think that those drivers would take a hint, it is not like they don't have enough warning.

This was my 2009 Dodge Ram
My 2016 is set up the same way

View attachment 501281
Yep. You’d think they’d see the flashing red and whites and know to not be sitting on your ass, but hey they might be color blind lol. I agree though. It’s pretty obvious what’s happening when I’m headed to the rural dept station, yet people still don’t get the cues. Any suggestions for where to get a good oversize load sign and mount? Going to need one here pretty soon for end of season log harvests.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Last edited:
OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
hey thanks for the suggestions, folks. sorry - have been away for a bit. I still haven't resolved it because i just haven't had the time to get to it. I may end up putting one in the middle of the rear window at the top so i don't have to remove the headrests, and one on the passenger side of the front. Should be enough to be seen. Will post back once i've got it all sorted.

BadHemi2014

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds good.
Advice for any 1st responders: Definitely try to avoid the roof in trucks. I was in my Beetle and some guy was on my a$$. I honestly could not see the flashing blue light on his roof till he sped around me.

zrock

Reaction score
Check your local laws.. I know here volunteers are not allowed white and red on their personal veh that is for registered emergency veh. We are allowed to run green but if we get into a accident when we are going to a call and have the lights on we are automatically at fault. The laws may be different in your area, but once i found out about the laws in my area i did not follow through with putting lights on my personal veh. If i was going to do anything now i would just add strobes to the signals

OP
OP
Toooch

Toooch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Thanks for the advice. We're allowed red and white with the Chief's permission.