First test towing.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The Tow/Haul also prolongs your shift points as to keep the veh in the power range more. You numbers seem good for towing.
This, basically TH simply leaves you in higher rpm's at all times. I used it for over 8 years to do away with low rpm shudder, and it worked perfectly, no low rpm's ever.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
And IMHO your truck is set up better to tow with than those two PW's. They are very capable trucks but their payload is very low because they are so heavy. I purposely bought an Express with a few added options including the 3.92 rear because I wanted a higher payload. The more options a truck has the lower the payload. Feel free to post any more towing questions here or in the towing section. There are a lot of guys in here that tow with 1500's including myself. I have a 29' travel trailer that's in the low 7k range loaded. It tows like a dream.

CalDad14

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Ram 1500 Crew Cab, 4x4, 6-speed, short bed, 392gears
Engine
And IMHO your truck is set up better to tow with than those two PW's. They are very capable trucks but their payload is very low because they are so heavy. I purposely bought an Express with a few added options including the 3.92 rear because I wanted a higher payload. The more options a truck has the lower the payload. Feel free to post any more towing questions here or in the towing section. There are a lot of guys in here that tow with 1500's including myself. I have a 29' travel trailer that's in the low 7k range loaded. It tows like a dream.
Thanks for the feedback Lou. I assume your 19' Ram 1500 is an 8-speed? Just wondering where your RPM's are while running at highway speeds(not towing)? My 17' Ram 1500, 5.7 Hemi, Crew Cab, 4x4, 392gears, at 70mph she's around 1950RPM's(not towing). Also, how is your gas mileage when you are towing? Again, thanks for the feedback. I went back and forth in between half-ton or 3/4 ton before we ultimately decided on the half-ton. Not sure if I'm feeling a bit of buyers remorse? But, it was not only the first time towing w/the truck. But also the first time I towed/hauled that type of trailer or that much weight w/the family. Needless to say, nerves were high! It turned out to be a great trip and overall I was pleased w/how the truck performed. I think I need to tow more to really get a feel for how the truck wants to run. As well as finding the right set-up; trailer length, weight, WDH. As with everything, the more I do it, the more comfortable I will be. It's all about getting the family home safely. Thanks again.

Loudram

Just a sinner saved by grace
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
MPG is about 10 to 12 towing. RPM's I'm not sure but yes it's an 8 spd. Most likely you'll never hit your max tow weight so I wouldn't sweat that number to much. Payload is what you have to keep an eye on. And a good quality weight distribution/ anti-sway hitch is a must. I've used an Equalizer hitch in the past and loved it but I think I found a hitch I like better. It's the Weigh Safe True Tow hitch. Here's the thread I started about it.

It's one of the more expensive hitches but it's worth the money. The real test is going to be in two weeks when I head out to All Truck Nationals in Carlisle PA. That's about a 3 hour drive for me.

Last edited: