First time out with PUP - brakes whistling

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So we finally got the new(ish) truck out with the pop-up this weekend. Bought the truck in September, we've had the PUP since last July.

Specs on the PUP: ~2200 dry, add full water, two propane tanks, two batteries, misc cargo. Plus my raft and gear, cooler, and wife and me, in the truck. Truck payload ~600lbs, tops. WD/anti-sway hitch.

Truck is 5.7L, 3.21 gears. I had Tow/Haul on.

KHCLDtt.jpg

Coming down off Eisenhower westbound (Coloradoans will know what I'm talking about), 6 miles of 8% grade at highway speed, I was pumping the brakes fairly lightly, truck handled it nicely. Once I got to flat roads, I noticed a distinct whistle/light screech from the brakes. Wasn't sure then if it was the truck or the trailer.

We took a fairly steep Forest Service road the next day for a wilderness hike, without the PUP, truck did great, but I was very careful coming back down (some nasty exposure spots on the road), and the brakes were screaming. No shudder, and the noise was only at about 35% brake pressure.

Got home fine, good trip, but wondering if I should have the pads or rotors checked out. Truck's only got 6700 miles on it.

dearchristopher

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
We’re the trailer brakes making noise, or was it brake noise from the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
So we finally got the new(ish) truck out with the pop-up this weekend. Bought the truck in September, we've had the PUP since last July.

Specs on the PUP: ~2200 dry, add full water, two propane tanks, two batteries, misc cargo. Plus my raft and gear, cooler, and wife and me, in the truck. Truck payload ~600lbs, tops. WD/anti-sway hitch.

Truck is 5.7L, 3.21 gears. I had Tow/Haul on.

KHCLDtt.jpg

Coming down off Eisenhower westbound (Coloradoans will know what I'm talking about), 6 miles of 8% grade at highway speed, I was pumping the brakes fairly lightly, truck handled it nicely. Once I got to flat roads, I noticed a distinct whistle/light screech from the brakes. Wasn't sure then if it was the truck or the trailer.

We took a fairly steep Forest Service road the next day for a wilderness hike, without the PUP, truck did great, but I was very careful coming back down (some nasty exposure spots on the road), and the brakes were screaming. No shudder, and the noise was only at about 35% brake pressure.

Got home fine, good trip, but wondering if I should have the pads or rotors checked out. Truck's only got 6700 miles on it.

Q: Does the pedal pulsate or vibrate when the brakes are applied??
There’s not enough weight combined to cause this issue.
Take it to the dealership because with 6700 miles it should not be making any noise at all.

I Love My 2018 RAM 2500HD 4x4 Off Road. 6.4L. USMC (ret)

OP
OP
RaftingDave

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Q: Does the pedal pulsate or vibrate when the brakes are applied??
There’s not enough weight combined to cause this issue.
Take it to the dealership because with 6700 miles it should not be making any noise at all.

No vibration or shudder, brakes applied smoothly. And once they cooled down, the noise went away. Just wondering if i have one pad -its definitely the front right- that's not dealing with tow related heating very well.

Last edited:

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
No vibration or shudder, brakes applied smoothly. And once they cooled down, the noise went away. Just wondering if i have one pad -its definitely the front right- that's not dealing with tow related heating very well.

That’s probably a sticking brake caliper

markusaf81

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
sounds like the caliper was sticking.

On another note, any upgrades to the rear suspension? Springs, bags, shocks? I tow an Aliner Aframe that weighs about the same and I get a decent amount of squat

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
You said the Tow/Haul mode was on, did you have the cruise control set? or did you try forcing a downshift(or two)?
I guessing you were relying on the brakes more than engine braking. Keeping the engine revved up in the torque band/peak isn't going to hurt the engine, it just sounds that way.

OP
OP
RaftingDave

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
On another note, any upgrades to the rear suspension? Springs, bags, shocks? I tow an Aliner Aframe that weighs about the same and I get a decent amount of squat

Nope, all stock. We got a tiny bit of sag between the bed load and the hitch, but not much, as you can see from the pic.

OP
OP
RaftingDave

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You said the Tow/Haul mode was on, did you have the cruise control set? or did you try forcing a downshift(or two)?
I guessing you were relying on the brakes more than engine braking.

No manual downshifting, and definitely no on the cruise - wouldn't do that on mountain highways with a load. And yeah, I probably didn't give the Tow/Haul downshift a chance and braked too much. I did on the return trip, which is a little less steep, and stayed off the brakes as much as I could (had to brake some for traffic.)

McBroom

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Heh, I'll discuss it with my wife. That'll be a short conversation.

Not needed or recommended.
I’ve had that convo with my wife before and it didn’t work out for me. Then came the dry spell. Lol

OP
OP
RaftingDave

RaftingDave

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Well, had the wagon in for my first (free) oil change, which was part of the dealer maintenance package. Had them rotate the tires and check out the brakes.

They said the brakes were "fine". Guess that settles that, right ?

While I was waiting, I browsed some of their lot stock. Looked at a few '19's, and a few under-optioned 2018 2500 and 3500 models.

There was one 2019 1500 Limited that looked okay - $63K.

Think I'll hang with my 'old 2017.