First Travel Trailer trip

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Remember that unless there is a specific speed rating on the trailer tires they are only rated for 65mph. 65-75mph requires raising the cold pressure by 10psi and above 75 requires derating the load rating by 10%. Both of those derating techniques imply you have pressure and load margin. Most RV tires are running right at maximum load rating so you can't derate.

There are trailer tires that do have 80 or 90mph speed ratings but most oem RV don't put them on.

Bottom line stay a 65mph or less when towing. Your fuel mileage and tires with thank you.

Papamugger

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You will be within the towing and loading specs of your truck with that ultra-light, I had a similar TT and Ram with the 3.21 and had no issues, You will need a good Weight Distribution hitch, there are several to chose from but I would get a quality one. (check out etrailer.com) I prefer the Blue Ox for its excellent sway control. I also installed the air lift bags on my 1500 which may increase stability and overall balance (at least I felt that way, and they are easy to install) Currently I have a 2500 pulling an Airstream which has a heavier hitch weight (1000 lbs), I use the same Blo Ox hitch but purchased the 1000 lb bars and a longer shank (to level the trailer). Use the tow haul mode when pulling, -
Important, respect the speed limits of your tires 65 mph or less and always check tire pressure before leaving on a trip and keep a close watch on the condition of your tires while traveling, Your fuel economy will typically be in the 10-12 mpg range but head winds or tail winds will affect your MPG, sometimes a lot, especially a strong head wind, Be aware that you may get a "side push" while being passed by large trucks, which can be more pronounced if there is a cross wind.
I typically have at least some water in the fresh water tank, you will appreciate this if you stop at a road side for lunch or a bathroom break (nice to have a clean Bath Room to use while traveling)
Happy travels.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Remember that unless there is a specific speed rating on the trailer tires they are only rated for 65mph. 65-75mph requires raising the cold pressure by 10psi and above 75 requires derating the load rating by 10%. Both of those derating techniques imply you have pressure and load margin. Most RV tires are running right at maximum load rating so you can't derate.

There are trailer tires that do have 80 or 90mph speed ratings but most oem RV don't put them on.

Bottom line stay a 65mph or less when towing. Your fuel mileage and tires with thank you.

Tire speed ratings are a little misleading. Yes the tires are rated to go XX MPH. But the important part is that rating is only tested for 30 minutes.

So if your cruising at 75 for over 30 minutes all bets are off.

Don't ask how I discovered this many years ago ughh.

Dreedo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Any advise for a first timer? I'm pulling a 4300 lb TT with my 19 RAM Laramie 3.21 gears for the first time. Also just got a brake controller installed.

View attachment 197930
We pull a 25' TT ( 5118lb dry) with 2019 1500 Laramie with 3.92 gears. Have an E2 weight distribution/sway hitch. Tows without problem but the rear end does sag a few inches when trailer is connected. Have decided to install the Airlift Loadlifter 5000 airbag system to level out the truck. This system can be run with zero airbag inflation, to return your ride to factory when not towing. As others have said, drive slower, avoid windy days if you can, and don't plan on driving long days. I find that 4-5 hours is about as long as I want to tow as you have to be more vigilant on the road while towing. Enjoy the journey!

runamuck

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 dsl
what lake is that. looks nice.