first truck advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

njitgrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
New guy here. Just turned 48 and almost done with my divorce. Looking to trade in my 2017 Honda Pilot and treat myself to my first truck ever.

I'm very interested in the 1500 Bighorn with the V6 engine and quad cab (I have three kids).

I'm looking to lease my first truck to keep my payments down as I figure out my financial situation after my divorce is final.

I'm not going to be towing anything so I don't need a V8 which is why I think the V6 would be a better fit.

Looking to test drive one next week. Any recommendations for a new kid on the block would be appreciated.

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
With 3 kids. Do yourself a favor and get the crew cab.

The V6 will be fine. The Hemi is more fun.

What years are you looking at?

The Bighorn trim is a great package. You can get it cheap or loaded. They provide most all options available. Very few are regulated to the laramie and limited.

Are you going 2wd or 4wd?

The night edition is sharp...the off road group or north edition are great if you use 4wd.

Good luck on the search. You made the right choice looking for a RAM.

OP
OP
N

njitgrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6

Is it that big of a difference? My oldest is 17 next month so he'll have his own car. I'm only going to have the kids 50% of the time anyway. Big cost savings either way?

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L

The V6 will be fine. The Hemi is more fun.

What years are you looking at?

The Bighorn trim is a great package. You can get it cheap or loaded. They provide most all options available. Very few are regulated to the laramie and limited.

Are you going 2wd or 4wd?

The night edition is sharp...the off road group or north edition are great if you use 4wd.

Good luck on the search. You made the right choice looking for a RAM.

^^Agreed. Quad cabs have their place, but kids grow. It won't be long before they'll be complaining about not having enough room back there. The v6 is fine for everyday driving. It's cheaper in all ways. But for fun you'd want the Hemi.

Is it that big of a difference? My oldest is 17 next month so he'll have his own car. I'm only going to have the kids 50% of the time anyway. Big cost savings either way?
It really depends on how big your kids are. A friend of mine has a QC Ram and it works for them. But he's something like 5' 8" tall, and his wife is shorter. So it's not likely their kids will be very tall either. But my son is 5"11" and doesn't like sitting back there.

tron67j

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2003, that I drive for 16 years, was a quad. It worked, but getting a new 2018 CC was night and day difference. Putting my front seat back ensured I felt knees and feet kicking. Even 1/2 the time would be annoying. I also had a Camaro, so I can say it is the same as thinking that is a family sedan. If a CC is an option at the dealer I can't recommend enough that you consider going that route. Good luck, and share pics of your new ride.

OP
OP
N

njitgrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Looks like I'm definitely going to go with the crew cabin especially because I'm 6'3".

Silly question, how does one transport groceries with a pickup. Never thought of that.

Also I noticed a lot of pickups around my neighborhood don't have bed coverings. Why is that? I would assume that to be essential, right?

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Depends on which version (DT or DS ) that you are going for. If you have fold up rear seats, you can have a storage center put under there. If you want to put them in the bed of the truck, Amazon has several totes that are non slip that will hold your stuff.

I personally will never have a pick up truck and not have a bed covering of sort. Just ensures some form of protection from the elements and prying eyes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Plankton

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My Rebel is my daily driver and my commute to work and back is about 45 minutes each way. That's about $80 these days to fill up every week and sometimes 5-6 days with the Hemi, but it's a blast to drive and I'm a lead foot. Definitely get the crew cab and as for groceries, there's plenty of room in the crew cab back seat for those, but you could always buy or make something for the bed.

kRwrz36.jpg

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the Rambox, so it has the bed divider. I put that close to the back and it's perfect size to fit grocery bags there and close the tailgate. I also have a cover, so it works well. But it's not a big deal to put groceries in the back seat either, jut fold them up and you can fit a lot, especially with the crew cab.

rod from md

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
like everyone has pointed out, the crew cab is the ticket for people hauling. im past hauling kids but occasionally my neighbors ride w us to dinner, and they are both tall adults. they have more room than his ford suv in the back. then the choice is bed...most crews are the shorter5.5 bed, but occasionally i see some 6.4 beds around. that choice involves wheelbase and overall length. i thought i would be concerned when i bought mine this last april, going down in bed size, but so far for me its a non issue.

i love my truck and its a blast to drive and comfy to boot

392DevilDog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
In the rear seat. Front passenger seat. Good places for groceries.

You can put a bed cover on. I have a bed extender in mine. When folded in the bed it keeps stuff at thr tailgate. I have large hooks that I hook the bags on. Will take a pic after work.

RumRunner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Another reason i'm glad I got the crew cab is my dog. She had plenty of room in the back. And when I used to need to keep her in a crate back there, the one I have just fits in the backseat, it would never have fit in a QC.

Patriot_66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Welcome to The Forum. I fold up the rear seats and throw a large plastic storage bin on the floorboard to haul the groceries home.

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
You will love the back seat room and comfort of a crew cab. Bed length will depend on what your needs are. Good luck and enjoy.

Red

OP
OP
N

njitgrad

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Someone suggested I should look into mid-sized trucks if I have no "real" need for a full-sized truck. Does anyone feel the same way? I wouldn't know because I've never owned a truck.

Truck Fun

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
CC if passengers in the rear seat. QC would be ok if just hauling stuff. Mid-size trucks will have less interior room if that's an issue. Nothing wrong with them if one works for you. However it seems like the price for a mid-size truck is hard to justify when you can get a full size for the same or slightly more cost.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
I have the V6 4x4 SLT Quad Cab and it is fine for me! The back seat is OK, for some people and my kids are grown so the back is for the dog or grocery mainly ! so IMO like others say go Crew Cab . Also if your going to tow look at the gear ratio

Last edited:

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
You need a TRX.

SOKY_RAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Someone suggested I should look into mid-sized trucks if I have no "real" need for a full-sized truck. Does anyone feel the same way? I wouldn't know because I've never owned a truck.

From my experience the midsize trucks aren't any cheaper and really dont get very good fuel mileage. The only real benefit IMO is they are easier to park and fit in a garage.