first truck advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KeithP

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 VVT
Someone suggested I should look into mid-sized trucks if I have no "real" need for a full-sized truck. Does anyone feel the same way? I wouldn't know because I've never owned a truck.
Trade in / resale value.. the full size truck will hold value better over time.

I had a 2003 Quad Cab. Kids out grew it pretty quick. Had a 17 CC and now a 19 CC. Can’t imagine not having the CC ever again. Highly recommend a full size CC w/5’7” bed for the way you’re describing how you’re going to use it. Put a tonneau cover on and you’ll be very happy with it. Engine? The v-6 is probably just fine for you but it won’t hold value as well as a Hemi.

GTyankee

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
Are you going to look for brand new Ram or one that someone has traded in ?

Quad cabs have too little space for most people, they want the extra 3 inches of the Crew Cab

Quad Cabs rear area are a little tight

ciqKI8.jpg
dodgeramquadcab018.jpg
dodgeramquadcab014.jpg
img1050en.jpg

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Someone suggested I should look into mid-sized trucks if I have no "real" need for a full-sized truck. Does anyone feel the same way? I wouldn't know because I've never owned a truck.
I'd suggest against a mid-sized truck for many of the same reasons already given. But I'd also add that if you're already looking at a full sized w/crew cab, you won't like the lack of room in a mid-sized truck. Night and day difference in room. Just go test drive one and you'll see what I mean. I'd love to have a Tacoma if I didn't feel so cramped inside. At 6'1" I can fit in the driver seat fairly comfortably. But forget about anyone with legs sitting behind me. The Ram provides enough room front and rear for just about any sized person. I have a co-worker who is 6'7", and he's comfortable in any seat in my truck.

kolya

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v-6
I agree with Rado. I have the QC with the v-6. The only thing I carry in the rear seat area is groceries or golf clubs. I no longer tow cattle, boats, or tractors, so I don't need the Hemi. I had the Cummins in my 2500 for those chores years ago. But, I agree with some of the more wise suggestions that if you haul passengers, get the CC. Don't even think of the "mid-size", you will not be happy.

LarryA

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I got my CC Larmie to pull a horse trailer. That said me and family (wife, kid, dog) have had multiple adventures exploring the mountain and ocean beaches around Washington. Mine is a 4x4 hemi with a limited slip differential. I added slightly more aggressive AT tires. I have a small box with a small shovel, recovery straps and a few other odds and ends in case I get stuck or get another flat tire.

I would think you and your kids could have plenty of adventures as well and the V6 would be fine for that.

E28DEB4D-E1F2-42DE-AC29-3AE03C0041B5.jpeg

78131D38-2998-4CB8-BBEF-B2CB5BAF4D71.jpeg

E4255A82-87BF-4B6D-A152-7BEC1A616064.jpeg

8D733AF5-A397-4C4C-BD96-689A0C625C2C.jpeg

Rick Gabler

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V-6
Both my daughters just graduated from collage. One is petite at 5.5 ft 110 lbs. my other is 5’10 a bit heavier of course. I bought a new 1500 last year, quad cab. My girls fit well, there’s enough room. Wouldn’t want to go cross country though. Lots of time with kids or long trips, I would go with the crew can. Quad gives you a larger bed which has been beneficial for me.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Both my daughters just graduated from collage. One is petite at 5.5 ft 110 lbs. my other is 5’10 a bit heavier of course. I bought a new 1500 last year, quad cab. My girls fit well, there’s enough room. Wouldn’t want to go cross country though. Lots of time with kids or long trips, I would go with the crew can. Quad gives you a larger bed which has been beneficial for me.
Just to be clear for those who don't know, it's true that QC gives you the longer bed, unless you're wanting a Rebel or HFE model, you can get the longer bed with the crew cab as well.

Jim Bowker

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I'm definitely going to go with the crew cabin especially because I'm 6'3".

Silly question, how does one transport groceries with a pickup. Never thought of that.

Also I noticed a lot of pickups around my neighborhood don't have bed coverings. Why is that? I would assume that to be essential, right?

I use a bed extender. When you flip it the other way, it makes a space between the closed tailgate and the extender. Everything gets piled in there so it doesn't rocket forward when I hit the brakes or require me to climb into the bed to get stuff out.

I keep a tonneau cover on mine, as it keeps stuff out of sight and out of the elements. It rolls up or easily comes off when I need the room.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I use a bed extender. When you flip it the other way, it makes a space between the closed tailgate and the extender. Everything gets piled in there so it doesn't rocket forward when I hit the brakes or require me to climb into the bed to get stuff out.

I keep a tonneau cover on mine, as it keeps stuff out of sight and out of the elements. It rolls up or easily comes off when I need the room.
Just out of curiosity, which bed cover and bed extender are you using? I had a Truxedo LoPro cover and the AMP bed extender on my 2017 Rebel. I wasn't able to just flip my bed extender to use as a bed divider because it would interfere with the mounting hardware for the LoPro cover. I was able to solve this by buying a set of quick disconnect hinges for the bed extender. But it was still a little bit of a pain for me to flip.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looks like I'm definitely going to go with the crew cabin especially because I'm 6'3".

Silly question, how does one transport groceries with a pickup. Never thought of that.

Also I noticed a lot of pickups around my neighborhood don't have bed coverings. Why is that? I would assume that to be essential, right?

Yes I am 6’5”: get the crew cab plus your 17 year old will thank you for it if they’re in the back seat.

Groceries? Fold flat rear seats or just chuck ‘em loose in the bed lol. You can get cargo nets or bags/ organizers for the bed.

Tonneau cover? Yep. Personally I got the soft trifold because it’s easy to take off if you have to. And when it’s on it keeps your groceries from blowing out of the bed.

Enjoy whatever you get just make sure it’s a RAM.

LemmysDad

Chairman of the bored.
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 RAM Rebel
Engine
Hemi 5.7

Nope

Brian Sullivan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the 2015 1500 bighorn 3.6 extended cab with the rambox. Only thing tow is my tent trailer for camping. Great daily driver. Very happy with it. I will not own another truck without the rambox.

alybry3

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Laramie CC DRW
Engine
Congrats on being done with the divorce. Good or bad it's a rough time and hard on everyone. After my divorce I got rid of my diesel gmc and got a luxury sport sedan. (mid life crisis to follow my mid life crisis!) Fun to drive but missed the truck so as soon as I could I got another one. Odds are you will date again and you never know what new adventures you'll have! Personally, I'd get the V8 and a mega cab so the kids can fit.

CaptOchs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guys... if he is going through a divorce he probably doesn't have the cash to drop on a more expensive truck. He would be lucky to get the V6 quad cab.

njitgrad: Dude, wait until after the divorce is final and you know your financial situation. Depending how amical the divorce is going she could not fight you over this or fight for every penny. That truck would technically be half hers (the debt too.) Your lawyer is probably finalizing paperwork with assets to the court. Buying a truck may throw that off and end up costing you more. Talk to your lawyer before buying a truck.

If she's going to take you for alimony (certain states) or child support for 3 kids, hang on! It's about to get rough! I was hit with child support even after she verbally told me she "wasn't planning on it." I only found out after my paycheck came in at only half the normal amount and auto-paid bills started bouncing. It took me 6 months after the divorce until things started coming about. I bought a cheap boat and started healing my soul out on the lake. My son liked it too. Eventually I got custody back when she ended up homeless and spiraled into depression. She started sleeping with guys for a place to stay for awhile. It's pretty sad.

GeometryFletch

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
i say crew cab for sure. anything smaller will an instant regret on room once you get them all in with the all the junk. tree story, i know, im living it :)

njjeff201

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E Torque Hemi
I drove both. Six has good enough performance if not towing. I always wanted a Hemi so I sprung with eTorque... not 48 anymore here. PSA-Congrats on the divorce... I was happy too!!!!!

SOL-man

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I just went through this same vexing question. I went on the Build and Price tool and started with the Bighorn 4x4 crew cab V8. Use it, it's fun! After checking all the boxes that I wanted, it worked the price up to a Rebel or Laramie with the same or better options. I went to a dealer who had both and eyeballed them. I like the stance and attitude of the Rebel but the Laramie is available with ventilated seats and probably a sweeter ride quality. After taking them both for a ride, I can't say my butt could tell the difference in ride quality. Besides the appearance, it all came down to whether I wanted ventilated seats or the appearance I liked. I guess I could modify a Laramie to achieve the look of a Rebel and have both, but I ended up ordering the Rebel with the options I wanted. I understand there are vendors who can add ventilated to the Rebel seats, so I decided that I would go that way if I really wanted ventilated. Honestly, I've made it this far in life without ventilated, but that's how I felt about back-up cameras a few years ago.

Tray Burge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Screw it man, treat yourself and go for the Hellcat or the Demon! You can slam 4 people in it and imagine the wife's face when you pull up in it? Priceless. lol