FIX! > 2022 1500 eTorque - Tow/Haul Mode causes LIMP MODE/Stall issue? (Star Case 2221000001/TSB 08-93-22)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
So apparently driving in "Tow/Haul" mode is now a bad thing on some 2022 1500's (w/eTorque ONLY) ...

** Anyone else running into this issue? **

(Please keep comments related to the issue please)

Official Star Case #/Reference : S2221000001

My Truck's Case #: S102093895

U0402 >> PCM > Implausible Data from TCM

B22A9-00 > DSM > ECU internal performance

Issue : Truck goes into Limp Mode when Tow/Haul mode is selected

------------------------------------
My 2022 Rebel 1500 eTorque (picked up 3/8/22) has gone into Limp Mode 3x in 15 days while driving below 40mph in town with Tow/Haul Mode selected (trans limited to 3rd gear & check engine light comes on).

** Doesn't happen everytime, but it has happened a lot in the 3 weeks I've owned the truck!

Driving in regular mode is fine, no issues with stop/start etc. Not sure if it's related to having the eTorque or not???

** My local dealer has another truck that apparently does the same thing (2022 Laramie GT).

Stellantis Star rep indicated to dealer a "Software update is expected in April to resolve the known issue" but that it was also "On Hold" and the case was closed with it operating " as expected ".

** I have a good relationship with my dealer and the service department and it appears their hands are tied on this one until Stellantis gets around to fixing this issue ...

... which I have never had on any of the other 4 Rams I have owned or the 19 Laramie 5.7 eTorque which I drove in Tow/Haul Mode regularly. (I like the shift points better)

** My hope here is that if anyone else is having this issue, they can be connected to/reference the Star Case mentioned above to get some traction on the SW update for the TCM !!

Please respond back if your do!

Thanks.

4/27/22 Edit:
TSB 08-093-22 was released recently for the fix/update to the Hybrid Control Module!
SEE ATTACHED PICTURE (Thanks to cbty2050)

5/27/22: 1800 miles after the update & no issues so far... Mpg2

7/22
TSB 7/22 & 8/22

Apparently I'm not the only one to have a 2022 eTorque truck stall while driving when the voltage drops below 12v after the HCP update in June 2022.

See here...

Attachments

• 20220329_182719.jpg
    20220329_182719.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 46
  • 20220327_200646.jpg
    20220327_200646.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 40
  • Screenshot_20220327-202407_Ram.jpg
    Screenshot_20220327-202407_Ram.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 48
  • tapatalk_-671797386.jpeg
    tapatalk_-671797386.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 36
  • tapatalk_-1662463595.jpeg
    tapatalk_-1662463595.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

jeveretts

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 etorque
Yep, happened to me once. I had the first code buy not the second. I was towing my 3200lb camper on I-75 in Downtown Atlanta and it went into limp mode. I had the autostart stop warning light on, and the Check Engine light. The transmission would only use 3rd and 4th gears. I got it off the highway and shut it down and when I restarted it was fine, but the CEL remained. I found a dealer in Atlanta who put a POD on it and pulled a U0402, and told me to go ahead and drive the 400 miles home and take it to my dealer. So I drove it home that night, the next day the CEL was off but I took it to my dealer anyway, and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with it.

I am not sure what else to do, I have towed my trailer about 2000 of the 4000 miles that are now on my truck, and this has only happened once.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So apparently driving in "Tow/Haul" mode is now a bad thing on some 2022 1500's (w/eTorque ONLY??) ...

(Please keep comments related to the issue)

Star Case 102093895

My 2022 Rebel 1500 eTorque (picked up 3/8/22) has gone into Limp Mode 3x in 15 days while driving below 40mph in town with Tow/Haul Mode selected (trans limited to 3rd gear & check engine light comes on).

** Doesn't happen everytime, but it has happened a lot in the 3 weeks I've owned the truck!

Driving in regular mode is fine, no issues with stop/start etc. Not sure if it's related to having the eTorque or not???

** My local dealer has another truck that apparently does the same thing (2022 Laramie GT).

Stellantis Star rep indicated to dealer a "Software update is expected in April to resolve the known issue" but that it was also "On Hold" and the case was closed with it operating " as expected ".

** I have a good relationship with my dealer and the service department and it appears their hands are tied on this one until Stellantis gets around to fixing this issue ...

... which I have never had on any of the other 4 Rams I have owned or the 19 Laramie 5.7 eTorque which I drove in Tow/Haul Mode regularly. (I like the shift points better)

** My hope here is that if anyone else is having this issue, they can be connected to/reference the Star Case mentioned above to get some traction on the SW update for the TCM !!

Thanks.
Hmmmmm, software??? Glad I just got reg 5.7L in MY 19 and no issues tow haul.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
Yep, happened to me once. I had the first code buy not the second. I was towing my 3200lb camper on I-75 in Downtown Atlanta and it went into limp mode. I had the autostart stop warning light on, and the Check Engine light. The transmission would only use 3rd and 4th gears. I got it off the highway and shut it down and when I restarted it was fine, but the CEL remained. I found a dealer in Atlanta who put a POD on it and pulled a U0402, and told me to go ahead and drive the 400 miles home and take it to my dealer. So I drove it home that night, the next day the CEL was off but I took it to my dealer anyway, and they tell me they can't find anything wrong with it.

I am not sure what else to do, I have towed my trailer about 2000 of the 4000 miles that are now on my truck, and this has only happened once.
Drive it around town in tow/haul modeb regularly until it faults out again and generates the code so you can take it to the dealer tho document it and reference the above Star Case#.

Same scenario with me... Shut truck off for a minute and restart to reset it so you can drive normally. CeL will clear itself after 3-4 drive cycles if it doesn't happen again but the code will be stored for the tech to read and run up the chain.

DB Cooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 ETORQ
I use tow/haul when driving up into the mountains 30/60 MPH. Are we not supposed to do that w eTorq

Autopaint

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 e-Tourque
So apparently driving in "Tow/Haul" mode is now a bad thing on some 2022 1500's (w/eTorque ONLY??) ...

(Please keep comments related to the issue)

Star Case 102093895

Thanks.
I had the problem yesterday, I'm pretty close with my dealer who originally told me I was the first that ever had that problem (Imagine that). About 30 minutes later he had printed what looked like a book on it online. Stelantis says they are aware and are working on the problem. Their fix is do not use tow/haul mode until the patch is released. They didn't know if it would be a campaign or recall but told me they would call as soon as they heard. At least they admitted they have the problem. I prefer tow/haul mode myself but don't want the Christmas tree dash and limp mode in construction traffic again.

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I know its only been a few weeks, but I was curious if anyone has heard any updates? I have a 22 Rebel GT as well, I have only had to tow with it once so far, maybe 20 miles I didn't have an issue with my tow mode, but then again I really didn't go far.

OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L

Attachments

• tapatalk_-1662463595.jpeg
    tapatalk_-1662463595.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 58
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
3 weeks and 1800 miles after the update... All good here

LENS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
HEMI 5.7
I JUST PICK UP MY 2022 RAM LARAMIE GT I HAVE 38 MILES ON IT AND THE E-TORQUE DOES NOT SHUT DOWN AT ALL WEATHER I PUSH THE BOTTON OR NOT IT JUST KEEPS RUNNING ANY IDEAS?

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
I JUST PICK UP MY 2022 RAM LARAMIE GT I HAVE 38 MILES ON IT AND THE E-TORQUE DOES NOT SHUT DOWN AT ALL WEATHER I PUSH THE BOTTON OR NOT IT JUST KEEPS RUNNING ANY IDEAS?
There are several reasons why the engine won't Auto Start/Stop, the first one is pushing the button on the dash as it disables the system.
Other things that keep the Auto Start/Stop from shutting down the engine are HVAC demands, battery charge level, and engine/emissions temperatures to name a few. Drive a few thousand miles, if there's still a problem with it not shutting off take it to the dealership.

bborzell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Etorque
I have towed a <5,000 lb. camper roughly 8,500 miles with my 2022 Laramie Sport 5.7 etorque 3.92.

I have had the check engine light/limp mode occur 5 times in that 8,500 mile period. The vast majority (if not all) instances occurred while in tow mode. My only question arises because I visually confirmed the tow mode with each instance except one.

Code said “Implausible data…”. Two dealers checked it out, said it looks like everything went back to normal after the events and nothing looks to be if concern.

The events all carried the same characteristics. After 400-500 mile long days, we pulled off to look for a spot to regroup. While driving at 30-40 mph, the CEL popped on. In nearly all cases, the limp mode took over. Shut down and restart cleared limp mode and CEL stayed for 4-5 start cycles.

I just had a recall flash for the hybrid control module which the dealer believes covers this issue. No scheduled tow trips until September.

Rog Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 eTorque
2022 Laramie 5.7 eTorque 4WD, 6,000 miles. First opportunity to tow empty boat trailer (tandem axle, 1,400 lb) this weekend. Used Tow/Haul mode, after 5 miles, transmission locks in 3rd and won't shift up or down, even starting from a stop. Start/Stop Light and Check Engine Light. Tow/Haul mode dropped out. Strangely, Eco mode kept activating. Pulled over, turned off engine, waited a minute, restarted fine, no SSL, but CEL stayed lit. Normal operation for a few miles, then re-activated Tow/Haul mode and within a few miles, Wham, did it again. Seeing dealer tomorrow. Fingers crossed I don't get a runaround.

UPDATE: Took the truck into the dealer. Gave the service writer a copy of TSB 08-093-22, described my problem and he got the associated error code off the OBD. Software fix was installed. Tested with boat and trailer - ran fine. Bravo Zulu to Mpgrimm2 for posting and updating this thread.

Attachments

• Service Ticket Ram 1500 2022 5-7 eTorque HCP Update0001.jpg
    Service Ticket Ram 1500 2022 5-7 eTorque HCP Update0001.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mpgrimm2

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
We'll add this here and to the op....

Apparently I'm not the only one to have a 2022 eTorque truck stall while driving when the voltage drops below 12v after the HCP update in June 2022.

See here...

radglenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Hi All... I just picked up my 2022 5.7 e torque and with a 6000 lb camper she goes right into limp mode... stays in forth with the tow/haul on and 5th with it turned off..
took it into the dealer last night... they didn't pull any codes BUT they did do two updates..... They were GREAT to deal with too!!! I will let you know next week when I hook the trailer back up if this fixes the problem...... Thank you for the original posting of this weird problem...

gt8684

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi All... I just picked up my 2022 5.7 e torque and with a 6000 lb camper she goes right into limp mode... stays in forth with the tow/haul on and 5th with it turned off..
took it into the dealer last night... they didn't pull any codes BUT they did do two updates..... They were GREAT to deal with too!!! I will let you know next week when I hook the trailer back up if this fixes the problem...... Thank you for the original posting of this weird problem...
I know there where a few trucks that had recalls for a firmware update for the computer for early 2022 with e-torque. I know mine had that issue as well, but after the update didn't happen again!

radglenn

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 E-Torque
Well, It seems the updates may have worked....The dealer hooked up a 23 1500 to my trailer and it was better at shifting than my 22... But it is coming out of 4th sometimes.. better than it was. Chrysler is aware and it still working on it.....AND the transmission was much more active and smoother without the trailer..so the update did do something good.. haha