Fixed "Side Steps" vs. Power "Running Boards"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steve Karolek

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7 HO
Three weeks or so before I place my RAM 3500 order. One area I'm undecided on is Fixed Side Steps vs Powered Running Boards.

I'm "vertically challenged" at 5'8" so was thinking that the wheel to wheel side steps might be a nice add. Wondering how they work with DRW. I like the chrome look there as well. However I'm wondering if it makes sense to add the power running boards to get them out of the way when not needed.

- Something else powered to break at the lease convenient time, pro fixed side steps
- Easier reaching into the bed for stuff and 5th wheel attention, pro fixed side steps

My primary use will be as a tow vehicle. While we'll do some boondocking, the trailer won't tolerate offroad so I don't think I care about having the step get out of the way of rocks, stumps, etc.

Any other considerations I should be thinking about? Thanks...

avantiguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
Powered steps are generally lower to the ground making it easier to get in the truck.

But one of the reasons I bought a Laramie as it was tough to find a Limited without the power steps which I'm not fond of because I'm not convinced about the long term part of the power steps and my main reason is the fixed steps stop the fart car doors from hitting the side of the truck.

Most truck folks seem to be careful around other vehicles but the folks that drive the small cars, not so much.

I also just like the looks of the fixed ones along with nice mud flaps on trucks and my 5'2" wife has no problems using mine to get in the truck.

Firebird

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi
Power boards are much, much easier to get into the truck with. I'm 5'9" and should have put them on my 2500

DRkNESS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I prefer the look of trucks with no side steps at all but as a compromise I went with powered steps and still have no regrets.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Papa Red

Papa Red
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I think the power steps are only available on the Laramie and better. I built my 2500 and there is no option for power but I want the chrome wheel to wheel. The 3500 could be different.

Red

crazykid1994

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only concern with power boards is how water tight are they. In my area the roads flood pretty decently in the wet season (hurricanes and tropical storms) and I wouldn’t want them to short out if they got submerged in water temporarily. At one point on my stock 1500 I had water up to the bottom of the door panel driving after a good storm

Ddmac

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My 2016 2500 had fixed running boards and I didn’t mind them at all. My new 2019 Longhorn has auto running boards and I love them. Also much easier to get in as they are lower, I’m 6’1 but old so it does help.

soapy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 hemi
Love my power steps compared to others. Much easier to get in and out.if the truck.

jawzs2

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010, 2014
Engine
1500, 3500
The power steps are much easier for my wife to find getting out of the truck, they're out a little farther and lower so she doesn't need to search for them. She had a hard time with the regular steps I had on there.

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My only concern with power boards is how water tight are they. In my area the roads flood pretty decently in the wet season (hurricanes and tropical storms) and I wouldn’t want them to short out if they got submerged in water temporarily. At one point on my stock 1500 I had water up to the bottom of the door panel driving after a good storm

I live in Houston, my AMP steps have seen several floods and 2 massive hurricanes over the last 2-1/2 years and mine still work flawlessly, not even a squeak.

NY_Sparky

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I have the power steps for the first time now, having always used fixed bars in the past. Mostly it's because I bought a truck off the lot that I really liked, and it happened to be outfitted accordingly.

Anyways, as mentioned, the occasional door ding protection was nice with the fixed bars (albeit not fool proof). On my stock 1500, frankly the power steps are a bit too low, as well. Probably would be perfect on a 3500.

Two things not mentioned by anyone yet...
-The power steps provide a pretty impressive shield for the rocker panels from rocks and spray. Should cut down on some of the paint chips down there.

-The power steps are not nearly as rigid as the fixed bars. I'd be nervous about some of my buddies who are on the heavier side actually standing on them and damaging them. As previously noted though, since they are so damn low, anybody approaching 6' tall ignores them anyway. Probably wouldn't be the case in a 3500.

Hawkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had the AMP power steps on my last two Rams. This current set has been on for over two years and seen every weather condition the good ole USofA has. I have not had any issues with them, even after going off road and getting mud caked in the mechanism. Hosed out well and the work flawlessly. Plus as other have said they drop down closer to the ground which make entering the truck, for those vertically challenged, Wife and Mom-in Law, much easier. For everyone concerned.:emotions36:

NapaRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6L V6
I like the look of running boards and I wanted them to be easy to use (no step pads) and no gaps between the board and the frame and finally not cost a fortune so I went with the Steelcraft STX600 Utility Boards and have been very happy with them. Many of my "vertically challenged" friends have commented on them as well with appreciation not the least of which is my wife lol! truck side.jpg

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
A buddy of mine (while I was living in Alaska) had power steps. Not sure how your weather is there, but he said after extended drives in snow/slush, it would get packed under the truck and then freeze like a block of ice. The steps would get stuck and wouldn't work. His were on a Ford so not sure if that makes a difference cuz Fords suck, but in that type of weather I would take that into consideration.

rzims

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi
I wanted power steps but the cost put them out of reach.
I went with the Tyger fixed steps and really like them. They were a breeze to install and seem solid. Plus they mount up tight to the body so they don't stick out as much.

Smitty2495

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My 19 2500 with Night package came with wheel to wheel. My wife loves them. I wanted power and ARS does actually make them for 2500. Looks wise I’d love the power boards but fixed are on there. Don’t mind the protection either. Dilemma

Elkman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
My running boards keep a lot of crude from the road off the sides of the truck and so no dings and fewer washes needed. Power steps make sense for a motorhome but they seem silly on a truck, but then I use my truck as a truck and do take it off the pavement.