Flash a 8hp45 tcu when changing valve body

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chuck01835

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Can any chrysler techs out their tell me if a new or remanufactured valve body's tcu will come with the firmware installed, or will it be necessary to flash it before installation. I understand that it will have to be reset and that there's a procedure to reset and learn the adaptive settings, just didn't want to get it installed and then find out i can't drive the truck off the lift because the TCU's program isn't loaded.

Thanks Chuck

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Can any chrysler techs out their tell me if a new or remanufactured valve body's tcu will come with the firmware installed, or will it be necessary to flash it before installation. I understand that it will have to be reset and that there's a procedure to reset and learn the adaptive settings, just didn't want to get it installed and then find out i can't drive the truck off the lift because the TCU's program isn't loaded.

Thanks Chuck

Not sure about the TCU,but i had to have the truck flashed before driving it,when i put a brand new 8HP70 in my 14 a few years back.Had a mopar tech buddy bring over the Mopar dongle and he flashed it on my driveway for a case of beer for me.Message Tach Tech on here if he doesn't respond soon,as he's a Mopar Tech,and he'll know,i think 69Mopar is also a Chryco Tech to,so either will know for sure

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Not sure about the TCU,but i had to have the truck flashed before driving it,when i put a brand new 8HP70 in my 14 a few years back.
The TCU is built into the 8HP line of transmissions, that's why you needed to have yours flashed.
I think FCA may have locked down the WiTech tool since then to where it needs to be connected to a dealership network to be able to flash modules. Either that or the dealership my buddy works at are just ******.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
The TCU is built into the 8HP line of transmissions, that's why you needed to have yours flashed.
I think FCA may have locked down the WiTech tool since then to where it needs to be connected to a dealership network to be able to flash modules. Either that or the dealership my buddy works at are just ******.

He also flashed my wifes Challenger last fall for me,but we did that sitting in the parking lot at his dealership,so i'm not sure if being out of range might be a fact now. There have been a couple guys who've swapped out the TCU's on the earlier 14 8HP70's for the later TCU's that are a little more tune friendly. There's a video of swapping the TCU's somewhere on facebook,i stumbled across it awhile ago,but i don't remember if the guy had to have it flashed or not.Jason Duria swapped the TCU from his tranny tuned 2017 8HP70 into an earlier 2014 8HP70 when he blew up his 2017 tranny,but wanted to keep the tranny tune ,i don't remember him saying if he needed it flashed or not though

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
IMG_20210227_181229.jpg

Thanks Chuck
I am a dealership tech of 22+ years. If you are replacing the valve body in the 8HP45/845RE the TCM must be programmed because it is shipped as a blank unit with no software. In DealerConnect under valve body installation step #22 states the TCM must be programmed.

Quick edit:

Come finish this 3.6 for me and I'll bring the laptop and my Micropod II and I'll flash the TCM for ya! Haha!

Last edited:

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
View attachment 239352
I am a dealership tech of 22+ years. If you are replacing the valve body in the 8HP45/845RE the TCM must be programmed because it is shipped as a blank unit with no software. In DealerConnect under valve body installation step #22 states the TCM must be programmed.

Quick edit:

Come finish this 3.6 for me and I'll bring the laptop and my Micropod II and I'll flash the TCM for ya! Haha!

I’ll echo what he said, most of them come blank. Even if it came with software already in it, it likely isn’t the latest software. So it’ll need to be flashed.

What are you doing to the 3.6?

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I’ll echo what he said, most of them come blank. Even if it came with software already in it, it likely isn’t the latest software. So it’ll need to be flashed.

What are you doing to the 3.6?
Correct on the TCM. Even if it did have software already installed there is a good chance that it's old and would need to be updated anyways.

On this 3.6, another dealer put an LKQ motor in the truck and the timing chains were super loose and the tensioner was loose as well as the chain guides were pretty worn. I'm putting a complete timing set on the motor.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
I'm actually at the shop as we speak putting this thing back together. I have a ton of work to do right now so I'm putting in the work on a Saturday night just to catch up. Got the radio cranked and the tools flying!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
View attachment 239352

Quick edit:

Holy crap timing one of them must be a real **** show. Does the 3rd chain run the oil pump??

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Holy crap timing one of them must be a real **** show. Does the 3rd chain run the oil pump??

Theres actually 4 chains, 2 timing chains to the cams. One from the idler to the crank, and the 4th to the oil pump. It looks really intimidating but it’s not bad once you’ve done a few.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Theres actually 4 chains, 2 timing chains to the cams. One from the idler to the crank, and the 4th to the oil pump. It looks really intimidating but it’s not bad once you’ve done a few.

Now that i look close i see what you mean Dan,there's got to be one that's sort of out of sight tying the everything together.How many hours does the book pay for doing the chains on one of the 3.6's,and is it easy to make money on the book hours,lol

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
Now that i look close i see what you mean Dan,there's got to be one that's sort of out of sight tying the everything together.How many hours does the book pay for doing the chains on one of the 3.6's,and is it easy to make money on the book hours,lol

Ya, where the two chains meet on the centre sprocket there’s another chain that goes down from there to the crank sprocket.

Hobestly, we don’t do a lot of timing chain jobs on the 3.6. Not really an issue with them so no idea what they pay. Most common big jobs on them are lifters,rockers,cams and cylinder heads. We’ve got a pretty decent trick to do the heads without even removing the timing cover. Warranty labour time is 8-10hrs for a head depending on what it’s in and you can do it way under 8hrs depending how speedy you’re feeling.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Yes the 4th chain in the back that goes to the bottom runs the oil pump. At first glance they can be a little intimidating but after you do a few them and get the hang of it they are actually quite easy.